User Tag List

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast
Like Tree138Likes

Thread: Does anyone still use incandescent light bulbs?

Smart Canuck
    Trading Score
    5 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by Natalka View Post
    Me, I don't know the science.
    I prefer the glow of the incandescents, and the warmth.

YES!! You took the words right out of my mouth.
    Natalka, barbis9, Ciel and 4 others like this.
    Unique items and great deals to be found on the Halifax Cat Rescue Society auction page.
    Love snail mail? Try
    Postcrossing!

Smart Canuck
    Trading Score
    5 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by newb View Post
    To those burning candles .. if you have a forced air furnace .. keep an eye out on the furnace filter .. that soot actually leaves a greasy black coating on them, they'll eventually starve the fan motor for air. Went to check my filter and was surprised, it clogs the filter media much sooner and doesn't look bad if you just do a visual, but I run my fan constant and have the long lasting 4" filters. Yet still only get one season out for them(3months).
    That's a good point, newb. I burn high quality pure beeswax candles with cotton wicks so there's not much gunk floating through the air, but I will keep a closer eye on the furnace filter this winter. So far, no problems!
    barbis9, Ciel, newb and 2 others like this.
    Unique items and great deals to be found on the Halifax Cat Rescue Society auction page.
    Love snail mail? Try
    Postcrossing!

Trading Score
    12 (100%)

Yes, I still use and buy incandescent bulbs. Know for a fact that the no-name bulbs should never be used in a service lamp-the bulb just self destructs. Love frosted/soft white ones but not clear (the filament casts shadows). Have also had bulbs fade out after a few months of use. Wish "domestic" bulbs were still around.
    I want LEDs that give the warm glow of incandescents-don't know the lumens number that mimics the "yellow" light. Not keen on paying $35+ for one! What a retail robber that is.

Most stores with LEDs are using what look like white/fridge light effect bulbs. Big box stores are particularly bad shopping experiences with fridge lighting in the place-too many shadows in-store. Rivals shopping the old Zellers stores that had wind-turbines-the flicker of the lighting was discernable and kept my shopping to short sessions because the flicker was making me so antsy.
    Brother was on a CFL kick -the full spectrum kind. Those bulbs take several minutes to get to their glow and then its like standing under an afternoon sun. Not the same thing. Darn annoying bulbs.
    Last edited by Ciel; Tue, Aug 12th, 2014 at 07:51 PM.
    barbis9, macw1960 and ticul like this.
    2021-Bring on the sunshine, sweets & online shopping.

Trading Score
    321 (100%)

I have been using the new bulbs for years and have never had any problems and I never pay full price between sales and coupons. You can buy ones that look similar to normal older light bulbs rather than the uglier ones.
    Ciel, ticul and PurpleBunny89 like this.

No act of kindness, no matter how small, is ever forgotten...Aesop

Trading Score
    0 (0%)

I also still use the old ones, and continue to buy them (when I need them, and when I can find them). I had Efficiency Nova Scotia come in and they replaced a lot of the bulbs for free with energy efficient bulbs that give off light the same as incandescent ones.
    Ciel and ticul like this.

Trading Score
    12 (100%)

I don't want to deal with CFL disposal-family seems to have gotten over the "big deal" of CFLs and I recall at least once having to clean up a broken bulb at home. When one big chain stopped taking them in for recycling, the remaining option is haz-waste disposal in person drop-off by car at the municipal depot. You cannot walk in-you need a vehicle. Kind of defeats the "environmental" aspect of the bulbs if disposal is not easy or accessible.

I have not been price watching in flyers on the LED bulbs. Require brand/light lumen value for the light I want and then I can make a game of weekly seeing which stores carry the bulbs and for what prices. Sort of like the high school economics assignment of tracking a selection of grocery product prices for 8 weeks!
    ticul likes this.

Trading Score
    24 (100%)

Oh my heavens, I haven't had an incandescent bulb in my house in forever! We switched over to fluorescent a long time ago. We've never had any issues with them and they seemed to last super long (which appears to be unlike many experiences others have had??). For us it was the cost savings that triggered the switch over.

About 3 years ago we began on the LED switch over. Now the entire house is LED lights. We bought them in the states where they were MUCH cheaper than here (don't know if that's till the case or if they've come down in Canada since then). My only complaint about going LED is that it's a very direct light....as in, if you aren't directly under it, it can be hard to see. So I find them terrible for reading and have kept two fluorescent ones around that I use in the living room lamps for reading purposes but that's all.

DH was nagging me to buy incandescent if I see them because apparently they are supposed to be phased out??
    Last edited by ninna; Fri, Aug 15th, 2014 at 11:08 PM.
    ticul likes this.
    "Be yourself. Everyone else is already taken." Oscar Widle

Trading Score
    12 (100%)

Former Ontario Premier Dad aka McGuinty phased out the manufacture of incandescent bulbs in Ontario. That is why we've seen overseas-made incandescent bulbs in CT, grocery stores, etc. There is some variation in manufacturing companies stamped on the boxes for LEDs and CFLs.

Some stores had signs indicating phasing out of incandescent bulbs over to the other options. Makes it harder to find bulbs.
    ninna, walkonby and ticul like this.

CaToonie
    Trading Score
    0 (0%)

Glad I stockpiled a bunch of incandescents a couple of years ago!
    Natalka and Ciel like this.

Smart Canuck
    Trading Score
    245 (100%)

I haven't had an incandescent in my house for years -- and we rarely have to change a lightbulb because the CFLs last so long. They have come a long way since we started using them many years ago. You can now get different light tones, i.e. warm is an option so they are not harsh. Recently, though we have picked up a few LEDs and really like those. I am not worried about breaking compact fluourescents because (1) they are very tough when dropped and (2) I can't personally remember having broken a light bulb...ever.
    Ciel likes this.
    So many coupons....so little time!

Senior Canuck
    Trading Score
    0 (0%)

I have a mixture of both bulbs in my place. I am one of those that have not had problems with them not lasting very long. I also have dropped one on my hardwood from a decent enough distance and it just sort of bounced. No cracks, nothing. My building also does bulb disposal so I don't really have to worry about taking them anywhere.
    Ciel and DianneS like this.

Senior Canuck
    Trading Score
    0 (0%)

Quote Originally Posted by Crochetlady View Post
    I still use the old ones. Read somewhere that people with psoriasis should not use the CFL`s
    I am curious about this because I have psoriasis and since we switched to CFLs my psoriasis has actually gotten better. Granted, I also moved from a house to a condo, so there are other environmental factors.
    Crochetlady, Ciel and DianneS like this.

CaNewbie
    Trading Score
    0 (0%)

I use incandescent on our basement. i like its warm color and the rustic feel. though its kinda more power consuming, its on the basement anyway.
    Last edited by Kyimir; Fri, Sep 26th, 2014 at 01:10 AM.
    Ciel likes this.

CaNewbie
    Trading Score
    0 (0%)

A number of folks have identified problems with CFL's and continue to use incandescents. Here are a couple of other thoughts.

Yes incandescents are more inefficient than CFL's. But. The inefficiency translates into heat produced - obvious when you touch one. So in many seasons here the energy difference is partly made up by adding heat into the room. Yes it is minor, but every bit counts. The point is the benefits of CFLs are overstated when we are heating our homes and the costs of incandescents are equally overstated.

Second point.

We are told that from a societal point of view (global warming etc) CFLs are better. When do we typically have lights on - night time. Electricity production during off peak hours is usually less costly and more efficient. For example in Ontario off peak electricity is typically made up of hydro power and nuclear power (which for technical reasons can't be turned off - well it can but there are issues) neither of which produces green house gases when running (won't get into the environmental issues when they are being constructed), unlike coal and natural gas which do emit GHG's. For places like Quebec and British Columbia this is not even an issue as virtually all of their electricity comes from hydro power.

Next, incandescents can be dimmed and when they are they use less energy than the rated amount. Also from a purely aesthetic point, dimmed light is often nicer.

Finally, although I have no documentation, I suspect that it is far cheaper to produce an incandescent, based on the cost, and therefore they use less energy to produce (usually energy to produce is an important cost component that is reflected in price).

So once again, the politicians have done us no favours. We still buy incandescents and have about a 5 to 10 years supply, just in case they disappear for good on the shelves, although we still see them in the big box stores and they are usually very well priced.
    GoJays likes this.

CaLoonie
    Trading Score
    0 (0%)

I think everyone should switch to LED if you can. DO NOT use CFL's The LED's have come a long way in durability, light color, and price.

Homedepot has a 3 pack of LEDs on for less then 20 bucks and they are 2700K which are the more yellow ones which lots of people like

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread Information