User Tag List

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Like Tree105Likes

Thread: People are so rude

Trading Score
    0 (0%)

What is it with people!? I was at a family members house this morning. Near their front door is a 3 switch light panel. One for the front door landing, outside front door light and tv. It's an older house and I suppose people had a switch for the tv? It's left on all the time. Of course they use a tv remote too. Anyways they left the outside door light on and asked me to turn it off when I was leaving. Fine. So I accidently hit the tv switch (turned off) while they were watching a program. She becomes irate over it. Flipped the switch back on, turned on the tv with the remote. The picture size on the tv was too small for her (she said that) and I was fiddling around with the setting features. Plus a few other things to set up. I'm not familiar with their flat screen so I had to figure out the buttons on the two remotes. The family member doesn't know how to operate all the settings on the tv and leaves it to others to do it.

So as I'm fiddling she says " I want to watch my program!" I said "Yes I will turn the channel to the program but first I need to fix the settings." 20 seconds later.. "I want to watch my program!!" I repeated "Yes I will get to that channel once I fix things." She yelled "Oh shut up!" Seriously?! I was polite and said I would change the channel once I had everything fixed up. I wasn't rude to her at all. So I was about to change to the channel they wanted. She yelled again "I want my program on!" I repeated that I was just about to change it and don't tell me to shut up! I lost it and told her to shut up! Maybe I shouldn't have stooped to her level but I lost it. She proceeded to tell me I was rude and horrible. WTF?! The tv was fixed then. I gathered my stuff up and said goodbye! She asked "Don't you want to stay for tea or something to eat?" No thanks and left.

What the hell is wrong with people. She should be happy that I fixed the problem. I understand she was ansy to watch her program. Telling me to shut up when I repeated I was fixing the tv and would turn to the channel soon is uncalled for. Glad to be home!
    This thread is currently associated with: N/A
    Last edited by toban; Thu, Aug 14th, 2014 at 03:25 PM.

Trading Score
    0 (0%)

In my opinion, you were too nice. I would have whipped that remote at her head!!

no more door to door! :) walkonby's Avatar
    Trading Score
    24 (100%)

I am very sorry but I was really laughing at her lost temper over a tv show. I felt like I was right there as you described it. I hope fences get mended, but ugh!! as you said SOME people!

babies teach us acceptance

Smart Canuck
    Trading Score
    5 (100%)

Shut up is not a word we ever use in this house. My kids know it's the equivalent of a cuss word and just is not appropriate.

I understand your frustration though. I would have left immediately if I was told to Shut up and I would have flipped the switch a second time on my way out! ha ha

Trading Score
    3 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by CrazyQT View Post
    Shut up is not a word we ever use in this house. My kids know it's the equivalent of a cuss word and just is not appropriate.

I understand your frustration though. I would have left immediately if I was told to Shut up and I would have flipped the switch a second time on my way out! ha ha
    lol.
    macw1960 and ticul like this.

Trading Score
    3 (100%)

Wow. She really was ill-mannered and rude. Who talks to their guests like that? And did you say it was a family member? Wow. She has no respect for others. Period!
    macw1960, toban and ticul like this.

Trading Score
    70 (100%)

is this person 5? lol i mean i expect this kind of behavior for a 5yr old acting out (well no not really.. it wouldn't fly in my home) but from an adult? absolutely not!

if it was me and they were giving me this attitude i would have hit the switch again left it off and walked away
    When life hands you Edward Cullen...throw him back and demand Eric Northman....

Trading Score
    7 (100%)

Toban, maybe I'm wrong.
    But I think I "heard" something at the end.
    I think the invitation to tea was a very weak attempt at an apology, without actually saying, "I'm sorry."

Sounds like she has a daily routine and that "program" was very important to her.

Not making allowances for her. Just looking at it from the outside in.

Yes, you were right to ask her to stop saying, "Shut up" - especially when you were helping her out.
    Last edited by Shwa Girl; Thu, Aug 14th, 2014 at 07:33 PM.

Senior Canuck
    Trading Score
    7 (100%)

That was extremely rude,and you were an angel to continue resetting everything while being snarked at like that.Telling her off was justified,hey at least you didn't throw the remotes at the tv and stomp off,lol.If it had been me I would have gotten so flustered I would have made it worse and had to give up.Maybe they should put a piece of tape over the !!!!!!! switch to prevent any other innocent visitors from making the same horribly tragic mistake.

Trading Score
    53 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by toronto166 View Post
    in my opinion, you were too nice. I would have whipped that remote at her head!!
    omg lmao

Smart Canuck
    Trading Score
    0 (0%)

oh dear, I'm afraid I had to laugh a bit too.
    Quote Originally Posted by walkonby View Post
    I am very sorry but I was really laughing at her lost temper over a tv show. I felt like I was right there as you described it. I hope fences get mended, but ugh!! as you said SOME people!
    don't feel bad about getting upset...you would have to be a saint not to. I think I might have taken the remote home with me lol, just kidding! hope you get an apology from her next time.
    Last edited by seylz_gurl; Fri, Aug 15th, 2014 at 06:38 AM.

Trading Score
    321 (100%)

I probably would have flipped the switch off again on my way out the door but only because they were rude. Usually I have lots of patience but I really dislike the word "shut up".
    toban, ticul and oscarandme like this.

No act of kindness, no matter how small, is ever forgotten...Aesop

Canadian Guru
    Trading Score
    159 (100%)

Thats so rude. If she was such a stickler for a ridiculous set up process and the situation is so dire, she should've flipped the switch herself.

Screaming over and over again that she wants to watch the show isn't going to get you to do it faster.

I don't want to stereotype, but is she a senior? This situation sounds similar to my DH's grandmother who is nearly 90 and suffering from dementia. If not, there really is no excuse
    Apply every possible promo code to your cart, at every store that you visit (and get points for cash back on top of that?). It's sweet and easy with HONEY.

Always use Ebates and get cash back at over 600 online stores! Use this link to get $5, FREE

Trading Score
    0 (0%)

The family member is my mom and yes she is a senior. However her mind is still good, a bit forgetful at times, but that happens when we age. I hate being told to shut up. I find it rude. Placing a piece of tape over that switch is a good idea. I believe when she asked about staying for tea etc it good have been an attempt at an apology. She very rarely apologizes.
    Last edited by toban; Fri, Aug 15th, 2014 at 10:47 AM.
    super_e, Shwa Girl, ticul and 2 others like this.

Trading Score
    0 (0%)

Quote Originally Posted by toban View Post
    What is it with people!? I was at a family members house this morning. Near their front door is a 3 switch light panel. One for the front door landing, outside front door light and tv. It's an older house and I suppose people had a switch for the tv?
    It's a switch for that outlet...much better when used for a lamp rather than a T.V. She should put a piece of tape by the switch with a note saying "leave on" etc. I'm sure you weren't the first person to do that to her.
    abbasgirl, toban, ticul and 3 others like this.
    Earn Gift Cards With Me Click the link below
    http://www.swagbucks.com/refer/erin9mmm

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information