User Tag List

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast
Like Tree55Likes

Thread: Baby Items-Your Must Haves & What Was a Waste of Money?

Sith Lady and Cool Kid Darth Penguin's Avatar
    Trading Score
    20 (100%)

Th cuddle bag is a wonderful thing (lilP was a Jan penguin), you just have to be careful that the baby doesn't overheat.

Short answer : no Long answer : NOOOOOOOOOOO!

Welcome to the Penguinocracy..One Penguin, One vote..I am The Penguin..I have the One Vote

Frosh Canuck
    Trading Score
    1 (100%)

Infant Carrier Cuddle Bag - If you're getting a travel system and you're having a winter baby then it's super handy to have one of these. It's a blanket/cover that goes right into the carrier so little one stays warm. Saves fighting to get a heavy snowsuit on and off. I didn't use one with DS (May baby) but I loved it with DD (December baby).

Yes I forgot about this I received one as a shower give and loved it. So handy for taking little ones out in the winter.

Frosh Canuck
    Trading Score
    1 (100%)

Thankfully I still have everything from when DD was little, so I only need to stock up on a few things like diaper and wipes. Refills for the diaper genie and wipe warmer. This one is a surprise, I have a lot of girls clothes, but have picked up some gender neutral clothing. My big item I still need to get is a car seat/ stroller combo. I had one for DD but I hated it and got rid of the stroller pretty quick. I didn't think I would use a stroller as much as I did so I think this time I will be more choosy.

Contradiction in progress sweet sparrow's Avatar
    Trading Score
    46 (100%)

Our only must haves was a car seat (because the hospital won't let you leave without one) and diapers. Everything else was up for debate.

We never used a playpen and wouldn't have bought a high chair but it was gifted to us. It was $30 on clearance at WM, with reclining seat, two removable trays, removable seat cushion, four individual locking wheels, basket underneath... I think the retail price was $90. We were planning on using a booster seat so we could take it when we travel. Now we have both. When we go out, we use a Bumbo chair. The larger stores frequently have clearance sales around now, so I would just pay extra attention in the baby equipment aisles.

We had a 7 lb baby at birth, but she didn't grow quickly at first. She was in newborn diapers for the first two months. I would purchase diapers with a gift receipt and trade up when you need to. Starting with size 1s is a good idea.

Babies are very individual. LO hated her $200 baby swing. Lucky for us, we borrowed it. She also hated onesies or anything that went over her head. WM has diaper shirts that fasten up the front with snaps. LO also hated the sleepers with zippers. They zip up on one side and she hated having her opposite leg from the zipper put in. Most babies won't mind, but ours kicked up a fuss.

We never purchased a wipes warmer (we were gifted one and never used it), change table (we use the bed or floor with a covered foam mat when baby starts rolling), diaper genie (we used cloth), etc.

For clothes, LO lived in sleepers. She was always between naps or feedings, and there were too many diaper changes to get that onesie and pant set on. It sounds lazy but when you're breastfeeding, diaper changing, rocking, etc., that one extra piece of clothing is a lot of work!

We know a couple who never bought a crib, but used a playpen for the first 9 months! They traveled a lot, so the playpen was more portable. I wouldn't have thought that a crib was a nice-to-have item, but there are lots of people who never had them (like my three older siblings).

Our monitor is Fisher Price and we love it. LO almost never cries when she wakes. We have to crank it nearly to full volume and go get her when I hear her rustling on the crib sheet. Sometimes, I even have to listen to changes in her breathing to tell when she's awake.

We found scratch mittens pointless. LO got them off within seconds. We used baby socks instead, and they also doubled as outdoor mittens.

We also didn't bother with burp cloths. I used DH's old t-shirts. Whenever I tried anything smaller, it would always fall off or LO would get the mess past the edge.

The one thing that got LO to sleep through the night at two months and beyond was a swaddle sack. That thing probably makes my top three must haves list. She would NOT sleep well without one until almost six months. We tried to get her out earlier but it was a struggle.
    Angela273 and ninna like this.

Trading Score
    15 (100%)

A swaddle sack huh? Interested. Added to the things I need to check out

Funny, I thought a high chair was a necessity but many people here seem to think it's a waste, good to know!
    Angela273 likes this.
    SUPERPOINTS IS BACK!!!!
    Come join the fun
    https://www.superpoints.com/join/E_V...HakUR2RSb3SXJk

Trading Score
    24 (100%)

Someone has already pointed out that each baby is different and what one loves, the other might hate.

In no particular order, these are the things we really enjoyed having:

1. the baby swing. hours of happy baby in that one for both our kids.

2. bottle and baby food warmer. I was unable to breast feed either time so unfortunately, we ended up using formula exclusively. I had this lovely bottle warmer that also steamed baby food jars as well. I loved it so much that i purchased a second one to have in the car (because we had an inverter in the car and could use it there!!). It steamed the formula and food to the right temperature using very little water and very little electricity so there was no standing over the stove and no heating things in the microwave (which to me is gross. Microwaves cannot be good for us!!!). It had a self shut off so there was never any risk of overheating or forgetting to turn it off etc.
    Name:  bottle warmer.jpg
Views: 228
Size:  12.9 KB

3. Some kind of mobile OR something that plays music that they can watch. The problem with the mobile is when they get the skills to pull themselves up and yank at the things on the mobile which can be bad. (1st DD did that!). For second DD we had a fisher price little wonders aquarium that hung on the crib. It played music, lit up, and the fish moved around on it. DD was SO attached to it that she wouldn't part with it til she was about 5 years old. LOL

4. This portable change pad. It rolls up into itself and is very compact and portable yet big enough to lay baby on so you didn't have to lay put him/her down on questionable surfaces. The small mesh flaps hold a couple diapers and the mini wipes container. It was also made by The First Years.

Name:  diaper pad.jpg
Views: 238
Size:  20.4 KB

We didn't use:

1. The diaper genie. I got a diaper genie as shower gift and honestly never got the knack of how to use it...and god help me when it was time to empty the pail. I found the cost of the refills irritating as well so I ditched that sucker pronto and ended up using a diaper pail that was lidded and large and used regular garbage bags and also had a freshener disk in it. Think it was made by "The First years". It was way easier and garbage bags are something one always has on hand! But I know I'm in the minority. Most parents swear by the diaper genie.

2. The playpen. It collected much dust. We used it when we camped or traveled and needed a bed away from home but for the most part, it sat empty.

3. Change table. We were given one from a family member who no longer needed it so we used it, but otherwise, we would've just used a pad on the floor. Don't have to worry about the kids rolling off when you are using the floor!

4. Highchair. we got one as a shower gift and used it a lot but I can see how it might not be practical (example: friends of ours had a swing and they double purposed the swing at feeding time)

5. I second the motion on the baby shoes. Cute but entirely unnecessary! Also, be wary of buying clothes or diapers too too far in advance despite how cute they are or despite the bargain you get on them. Both my girls grew through clothes at an astonishing pace and things I purchased that I thought would fit them in winter ended up being the right size in the summer etc.

6. Infant bath tub. I'm on the fence about this one. I received two of these at a shower and while I used it for my first child, I didn't bother using it with the second one (used the kitchen sink instead!). They take up a lot of space and aren't useful for very long since they quickly grow out of them too. I also found that my first daughter panicked when it came time to use the regular tub. That said, I found it nerve wracking when I was a first time parent and I enjoyed having that confined space for the slippery little fish. My second child? Pfft. I dealt with the slippery fish and talked on the phone and chopped apples up for big sister while bathing the youngest in the sink. My point is that the infant tub was nice to have when I was skittish and nervous I'd break the first child. LOL.
    Angela273 likes this.
    "Be yourself. Everyone else is already taken." Oscar Widle

Trading Score
    15 (100%)

I love tha change pad! I'm going to have to look for one of those!
    SUPERPOINTS IS BACK!!!!
    Come join the fun

Senior Canuck
    Trading Score
    132 (100%)

Congrats on the little one I am currently pregnant with #2 due in 4 weeks. We were loaned a lot of used baby items for our first from family members, then passed them along. Now we are 2 provinces away I have had to start over for this little one.
    i have purchaced many things off Craig's list that I thought were essential, and are multi purpose

1. Graco 2 in one swing. It is nice to have a swing, enen if lo doesn't like it....this one the seat detaches and you have a bouncy seat. Great to strap them into, toys on the tray to keep them happy while you have a shower Craigslist paid $25
    http://www.gracobaby.com/products/pa...starburst.aspx

2. Fischer price rain forest mobile. Plays music, and has sounds, night light, moving mobile parts that are remote controlled. Mobile detaches and can just be sound for when they get older. My first loved music to fall asleep to, gets them trained to fall asleep on their own vs needing to be rocked to sleep. Battery power and remote are essential vs the wind them up mobiles that last for only a few minutes. Used paid $20
    http://www.fisher-price.com/en_US/br...products/38346

3. Summer infant saddle me, and sleep sacks. The swaddle wraps have Velcro and are super easy to keep newborn bundled up. Sleep sacs over sleepers at night don't require them to have a blanket that could get tangled up and cover their face
    http://www.summerinfant.com/nursery/...ddle-resources

4. High chair. I found this essential. We have a graco one that has wheels, height adjustable, and folds up. Great for them to chill in the kitchen at counter height while prepping dinner, and then you can drop it down to sit at a chair and spoon feed, or push up to table and they can be at everyone else's level. Look for easy to remove, machine washable seats vs the vinyl/plastic wipe down fabric (tends to crack, and are hard to keep clean)
    http://gracobaby.ca/e/item.asp?code=13000&s=00AAA

5. Convertible crib, one nice piece of furniture that will grow with them. Spend the $ on a matching dresser that you can attach a change pad to. Changing an infant on the floor is okay in a pinch, but my back was not having that! No need for just a change table.
    I will recommend getting some type of chew guard for the top rails when teething. Lo chewed some marks into his, good thing it is real wood that I just sanded down and re stained. If it was a cheap lacquer finish it would be a hard fix...

6. Hydrasence nasal apirator! Or as my 3 year old says " the boogie sucker" priceless when you have a sick and stuffy kiddo. Never used the saline, seems gross but does the job. Bulb ones are completely useless. http://www.hydrasense.ca/en/products/details/2

7. Sling/wrap baby carrier. I loved my baby Buddha, made from super soft stretchy yoga pant material. http://www.babybuddha.ca great for newborns, and you can nurse while wearing them. Helps in the first few weeks when you need 2 hands and they are comforted by the same in the womb feeling of you just walking around and doing housework ect. The straps that wrap around are great for back support, as you will have an achy back until body gets back to your normal weight distribution. They can be held sideways where other carriers are all vertical. Other ridged carriers don't offer support for newborns, and seemed like it was a 2 person job to get them in and strapped on.
    Craigslist used $50

8. Don't waste $ on fancy colored burp clothes. Buy a few packs of white flannel cloth diapers. They are super absorbent, and can be easily bleached clean.

things we didn't use or seemed like a waste
    1. Play pen.
    2. Diaper genie. Refills don't hold much, and are $$. We went with a safety first pail that uses 30L garbage bags. Add a febreze smelly to the lid and you are good http://t.toysrus.ca/skava/static/pro...www.toysrus.ca
    3. Fancy crib bedding sets and bumpers. Bumper pads are SIDS risk factors, they won't care what the sheet are until about 3...then decorate room when they transition to a big kid bed. Have a few fitted sheets, and 2 waterproof matress covers.
    4. Wipes warmer. Heard they just dry out the wipes, and have been known to scorche the bottom few wipes. Babies get used to always having a warm wipe, then you change in public and they are not thrilled with an ice cold wipe to the butt.

Will add more later as I think of them
    Last edited by mrsf1sh; Sat, Aug 23rd, 2014 at 02:18 AM.

Trading Score
    15 (100%)

I like the lokos of that swing, have been looking for a good one on kijiji.
    SUPERPOINTS IS BACK!!!!
    Come join the fun

Canadian Guru
    Trading Score
    61 (100%)

I loved the diaper genie myself, got it secondhand from someplace. Yes the refills are expensive, but was worth it to block out the stink!

I never used a diaper bag either. I normally carry a backpack with me, so I had a men's shaving bag that I'd put in it with a half dozen diapers, a changing pad, and a small pack of wipes.

Change table was a must for us - we're both tall, bending over a dresser, etc. was hard on the back, so we had a tall one (secondhand too). It kind of had a rim around the top so that baby could not easily roll off. I put a piece of foam in it, covered with something so it would be nice and squishy instead of the plain wood. On the sides that kept him in, I put a pool noodle over each edge (just sliced lengthwise to put over the thin piece of wood) because he was always kicking at things and it hurt him when he'd give it a good whack.

I never did use a thermometer, still don't. A hot kid doesn't mean a sick kid, and knowing if his temp was 37 degrees or 38 wasn't very useful for me. For me, I could tell if he was hot and if he was acting sick.

When baby is old enough to start walking, Robeez are awesome little shoes and it's difficult for them to kick off. The cheapo knockoffs aren't nearly as good. I probably would never have tried them (because of the price) but got some for a shower gift. One time we lost one while we were out and about in the winter. I kept the other one, who knows why. Durin a warmer period a couple months later, I'm walking with DS in the stroller and he starts yelling SHOE! I was like, huh? Looked around and sure enough, a snowbank had receeded and there was his shoe. I washed it up a bit in the sink and it looked the same as the other, you'd never know it had spent a month or two in a snowbank!

One Awesome Domestic Diva MrsSunshine's Avatar
    Trading Score
    88 (100%)

So much has been covered already.. thought i'd include a few too.
    if your lucky enough to be able nurse.
    . a few really good quality bras.
    a nursing pillow.. that way it holds baby while you 'get ready' to feed. esp. if you've had stitches.
    skin to skin if possible for a bit. drink lots of water as well.
    accept all offers.. no matter what.. HUGE help. cooking, cleaning, shopping etc. even to have a nap.
    babies dont' need a huge amount of 'stuff'
    sleepers, onesies, diapers, food.. and a nice place to sleep. whether it moves or not you'll figure that out fast. some babies prefer to be swaddled and quiet, swinging away.
    others want to be spread eagle, still as can be.
    gripe water, wipes, nose aspirator, soother??, butt cream, pads(for you and baby)
    that about covers it for the first month. then the above will start to really kick in.

good luck, Congrats.
    Be Strong
    Be True
    Be You.
    Simple as that!

Trading Score
    15 (100%)

Here's some items I'm wondering about:

Sleeper Sacks...did you use them?

Bumbo carrier? Good investment, waste of money? Have heard mixed reviews.

Recommendations for a good baby carrier.
    SUPERPOINTS IS BACK!!!!
    Come join the fun

Trading Score
    46 (100%)

Sleep sacks - yes! We'll be using them at least until LO is 18 months. It keeps her from sticking her feet between the rails of the crib while still allowing her to move around. No sheets or blankets to reduce the chances of SIDS and keeps her warm even in the winter, with arms sticking out. You would just need one for winter and one for summer after the swaddle bag is no longer used.

Bumbo - we use it as a travelling high chair or as a temporary seat for those quick trips to the bathroom for mom. It's expensive for a bit of molded foam, but when LO can roll and move around, yet not walk, you need somewhere safe so you can do what you need for a few minutes. If we didn't borrow one, I'm not sure if I would have bought one new.

Carrier - love our Baby Bjorn. Great on walks, lifts to the sink to wash hands, if LO gets fussy in the stroller for whatever reason. It's easily washable and adjustable so mom and dad can wear it easily. They go on sale at Toys R Us and will last you at least until LO reaches 20 pounds. I think mine is rated for past 30 pounds, but there is no way my back will take that kind of weight!

Trading Score
    15 (100%)

Thanks Sweet Sparrow

So there's sleeper sacks and swaddle bags? lol
    SUPERPOINTS IS BACK!!!!
    Come join the fun

Trading Score
    46 (100%)

Yep. This is her sleep bag that I was actually thinking of returning when we first got it. Thank goodness we didn't!

http://www.safetysuperstore.ca/produ...arm_buddies_6/

LO wouldn't give up the swaddle until 6 months when she was barely fitting in it. She just would not sleep without it, but once she was in it, the angel baby slept 11-12 hours straight without bothering mommy's rest at all.

http://www.amazon.com/Kiddopotamus-S...853165&sr=1-11

And this is the Kiddopotamus which we are convinced is the greatest invention on the face of the planet. DH thought it was some sort of bear costume when he first saw the tabs (thinking it was ears).

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread Information