User Tag List

Like Tree3Likes
  • 2 Post By francine1985
  • 1 Post By Springbreeze

Thread: Breast Pump Recommendation?

Trading Score
    15 (100%)

Hi Everyone, I plan on trying to breastfeed so everyone tells me I'll need a breastpump. Pretty clueless about these. Recommendations for a good but not insanely expensive one?
    This thread is currently associated with: N/A
    SUPERPOINTS IS BACK!!!!
    Come join the fun
    https://www.superpoints.com/join/E_V...HakUR2RSb3SXJk

Canadian Guru
    Trading Score
    61 (100%)

I had a manual one, by Avent and it worked fine for my needs - taking a full year of mat leave, and not really having a need to go out for long periods without DS.

To be honest, for me it was easier to just feed DS myself rather than worry about having bottles clean, milk warmed to just the right temperature, etc. Besides, if I left him for DH to feed and I went to have a nap, go do something, etc., well my body would still make the milk not knowing I wasn't going to use it that day. So I'd wake up or get home with leaky, uncomfortable boobs. It worked better once he was eating cereals and things, I'd thin the cereal with it. But we mostly didn't bother with bottles.

Good luck!

Trading Score
    15 (100%)

Thanks for the tips!
    SUPERPOINTS IS BACK!!!!
    Come join the fun

Trading Score
    76 (100%)

don't buy one until you are sure you'll be able to pump. borrow one or rent one from the hospital. I bought a very expensive double electric pump and despite having plenty of milk I was unable to pump more than a few drops of milk after hours of trying. it wasn't a supply issue and there was nothing wrong with the pump. some women (like me) are just unable to successfully pump. I was lucky to be able to be a stay at home mom so thankfully there was no need to pump.
    Natalka and Lyssia510 like this.
    Intergalactic Proton Powered Electrical Tentacled Advertising Droids!

Trading Score
    15 (100%)

I wonder if my hospital rents them....that's really good advice. I never thought about that
    SUPERPOINTS IS BACK!!!!
    Come join the fun

Trading Score
    726 (100%)

If you are looking to rent you can try Shoppers Home Health Care (not the regular Shoppers Drug Mart).

I rented from there for the first 2-3 weeks. It's a bit pricey (it's been almost 6 years so I can't remember the price) but it was the exact same model the hospital had (which made it easy because I had already used that kind for 2-3 days). I hadn't planned on pumping but BF'ing wasn't working so I pumped. Unfortunately pumping didn't work either so we then went exclusively to formula.

Smart Canuck
    Trading Score
    4 (100%)

I had an Medela hand pump(I made so much milk until I got mastitis that I had to pump one side while I feeding dd), and then when my supply dropped I rented a hospital grade pump from a home health store for like 60 ish a month. If you have insurance a breast pump rental may be covered which makes it cheaper than buying one.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Frosh Canuck
    Trading Score
    1 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by bargain_hunter_lola View Post
    If you are looking to rent you can try Shoppers Home Health Care (not the regular Shoppers Drug Mart).

I rented from there for the first 2-3 weeks. It's a bit pricey (it's been almost 6 years so I can't remember the price) but it was the exact same model the hospital had (which made it easy because I had already used that kind for 2-3 days). I hadn't planned on pumping but BF'ing wasn't working so I pumped. Unfortunately pumping didn't work either so we then went exclusively to formula.

We rented our pump from there 3 years ago, then the price was 25.00 a week, with a discount if you rented for a month. We rented weekly as breastfeeding didn't work and neither did the pumping. there is a 50.00 dollar fee for the parts, tubing and valves. Hoping to have breastfeeding work out this time, did not enjoy pumping at all. I will say if you know you are going to rent one to call as soon as you can, they have a limited amount to rent. I didn't have one when we brought DD home from the hospital so after getting us settled hubby went out to get one. He called me from the store because they were out. I was so upset and burst into tears now unsure what I was going to feed DD when she woke up. The lady at the store gathered from hubby's end of the conversation how upset I was. They had one left in the store that was spoken for but they were very late in picking it up so she let hubby rent it.

Trading Score
    68 (100%)

I used the Avent manual, it was inexpensive and worked well. With DS 1, I was back at work at 6 months (no 1 year leave then) & he was exclusively BF until 14 month. So I pumped a lot with it. With DS #2 he refused anything but me. By then we had the 1 yr leave so was OK.
    Friends don't let real friends pay full price.

Trading Score
    726 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by Springbreeze View Post
    We rented our pump from there 3 years ago, then the price was 25.00 a week, with a discount if you rented for a month. We rented weekly as breastfeeding didn't work and neither did the pumping. there is a 50.00 dollar fee for the parts, tubing and valves. Hoping to have breastfeeding work out this time, did not enjoy pumping at all. I will say if you know you are going to rent one to call as soon as you can, they have a limited amount to rent. I didn't have one when we brought DD home from the hospital so after getting us settled hubby went out to get one. He called me from the store because they were out. I was so upset and burst into tears now unsure what I was going to feed DD when she woke up. The lady at the store gathered from hubby's end of the conversation how upset I was. They had one left in the store that was spoken for but they were very late in picking it up so she let hubby rent it.
    Yes, good advice. If you know you need, better to book it ASAP.

We rented on a weekly basis because I wasn't sure how long we'd need it. Looking back we should have went with a month rental.

I lucked out that I had most of the add on parts (valves, bottles. etc) from the hospital, but I was told some local health units have the kits and will provide them to people who need them (not sure if that meant low income or just people who needed the supplies and stores were out). Just an FYI. HTH

Sent from my iPod touch using Tapatalk

Trading Score
    0 (0%)

I suggest "Philips Avent Comfort Electric" it is comfortable and quiet. It's a little expensive though, but it's worth buying.

Trading Score
    15 (100%)

I looked into renting, it's $25 a week plus you have to purchase the add ons for around $50 I believe. If I used that for a few months, I could purchase one for myself so I think I will be buying. I did check and my health plan does not cover it.
    SUPERPOINTS IS BACK!!!!
    Come join the fun

Canadian Guru
    Trading Score
    61 (100%)

Are you taking a year of mat leave? You might not need a pump at all.

Trading Score
    15 (100%)

I am taking a year off. But I want DH to be able to feed for bonding time with baby so that's why I wanted to pump.

Do you think there is sanitary issues with buying second hand?
    SUPERPOINTS IS BACK!!!!
    Come join the fun

Frosh Canuck
    Trading Score
    1 (100%)

A lot of people buy pumps second hand just make sure you buy the parts new, these are not as easy to clean. Buy parts I mean tubing and valves.

Thread Information