User Tag List

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast
Like Tree273Likes

Thread: Is your hair different???

Trading Score
    109 (100%)

As for the top, that something I got about 6 years ago at Target, in Texas. No, I don't give up my clothes easily, I'm the type that thinks it'll come back in style someday, and even if it doesn't, if it's comfy I gonna wear it
    We all need a little sunshine every now and then

no more door to door! :) walkonby's Avatar
    Trading Score
    24 (100%)

I was looking and thinking the title did not match the pic you posted, I thought now why would holly post a pic of one of her DD's hair do's in here? You!!! ARE!!!

NUFF said about that!

With all you have gone through too.
    That Rod Stewart song lyric comes to mind
    " You Wear It Well "

My hair is now somewhat old lady dry and brittle not just because of my age but because I have coloured it blonde since the day I saw the gray sides and top were taking over!! ( about a good dozen years now ??) I am ponytailed most days anyways, keeps it outa my face.
    If I really used quality products to condition and pamper my locks I am sure it could be better but I just don't have my priorities there anymore.
    Natalka, Silk, Angela273 and 6 others like this.

babies teach us acceptance

Trading Score
    3 (100%)

Just an fyi from an old lady, take it for what it's worth...velcro rollers and puling your hair back into pony tails are not ideal, says my hairdresser, and boy did she change me from those velcro things! I began noticing these little baby hairs on top, next to my face, and I'm thinking, yay!, I'm growing new hair! Nope, she says, and pointed out how thin my hair was getting next to those "baby hairs"! I wasn't growing new hair, I was replacing the hair that was ripped out by velcro! So no more velcro rollers except for the very top first ones, since the two piece plastic ones make a ridge, and oh, how much nicer it feels even after a couple months of not using them!

Walks, product does make a difference, but they needn't be expensive...I use whatever is on sale, but I don't skip my conditioner...any brand, but I don't skip it. As for colouring....the best thing I ever did for my hair was stop pretending I was this sultry blonde! LOL!! Maybe it was believable in my 50s, but not so much in my 60s!! My hair is full, shiny, and I've decided to grow it out! And when the weeks come that I find myself yanking it back into a pony, off it comes! I need all the hair I can get!

Holly...I can sure understand you loving the hair you have now, only makes sense since you lost so much at one time, but just be mindful of the colouring. I only used a non...ah..I can't remember the name, but I only used L'Oreal Preference or Excellence, the lightest blonde and as iirc, I changed to whatever mousse they had, so easy to apply! It was gentler, I think, than others out there, and OMG!!! DO NOT USE CLAIROL!!! I never had my hairdresser colour my hair, and she never minded, but the only thing she told me was DO NOT USE CLAIROL!! She said there are very harsh chemicals in it, and hence they're the ONLY ones who sell a treatment to remove minerals from your dyed hair! She didn't care that I dyed my own hair, just that I used the proper product so that she could manage it enough to cut and care for it! Strange, but true...

Anyway...just fyi from an old lady...
    Mia001, Natalka, Silk and 7 others like this.

Trading Score
    24 (100%)

My hair changed after having kids. It went a couple shades darker and now I have little tufts of silver in the front where my hair naturally parts. I've also noticed that since having kids, the waves in my hair are much more pronounced.

I have very thick hair so if its true that hormones thin it out, I will still be ok.

I did try colouring my hair for a stint because DH missed my once-blonde hair (I'm pretty much a light brown now) but honestly, I'm just so darned lazy that the roots would show through and I was too slow at re-touching them. I found the colouring very hard on the hair and to me, it looked phony. I never liked it so finally I chose a colour that was as close to my original hair colour as I could get and coloured it for one last time.

My hair has long since out grown the dye and I'm glad for it. The hair is so much healthier now!!

The other thing (in addition to being so cosmetically challenged that I think in my previous life I might've been a man! LOL) was that I hated the idea of pouring all those chemicals on my head. I mean--my mom got early onset dementia and who knows where it was from. It could've been all the pesticides in the fields she worked in when she was young or it could've been the result of being hosed in DDT when she immigrated to Canada. Who knows? But with so many things causing cancer these days and the warnings on the packages not to dye your hair when pregnant, all I could think was-- if I shouldn't be colouring my hair when pregnant, maybe I shouldn't be colouring it at all???!!

And that's what caused me to give it up.

So I've got some greys. Whatever. I don't care.
    Natalka, Silk, Angela273 and 5 others like this.
    "Be yourself. Everyone else is already taken." Oscar Widle

One Awesome Domestic Diva MrsSunshine's Avatar
    Trading Score
    88 (100%)

ha.. i think Holly took her own advice and went for a nap. didn't come back LOL.
    Lynn49 and hollyquaiscer like this.
    Be Strong
    Be True
    Be You.
    Simple as that!

Trading Score
    2 (100%)

I said I would never color my hair but when the grey started coming in heavy I decided on highlights. I was mid-forties. I love highlights as I have dark brown hair. It is an endless circle though of cost and maintenance. I'm trying for myself to get past myself. My grandmothers and mother before me just went with the changes. The people in my life that I love and admire has nothing to do with looks. That being said your hair looks really cute. Give yourself a break. You rock.
    Natalka, Silk, Angela273 and 5 others like this.

Trading Score
    24 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by ninna View Post
    My hair changed after having kids. It went a couple shades darker and now I have little tufts of silver in the front where my hair naturally parts. I've also noticed that since having kids, the waves in my hair are much more pronounced.

I have very thick hair so if its true that hormones thin it out, I will still be ok.

I did try colouring my hair for a stint because DH missed my once-blonde hair (I'm pretty much a light brown now) but honestly, I'm just so darned lazy that the roots would show through and I was too slow at re-touching them. I found the colouring very hard on the hair and to me, it looked phony. I never liked it so finally I chose a colour that was as close to my original hair colour as I could get and coloured it for one last time.

My hair has long since out grown the dye and I'm glad for it. The hair is so much healthier now!!

The other thing (in addition to being so cosmetically challenged that I think in my previous life I might've been a man! LOL) was that I hated the idea of pouring all those chemicals on my head. I mean--my mom got early onset dementia and who knows where it was from. It could've been all the pesticides in the fields she worked in when she was young or it could've been the result of being hosed in DDT when she immigrated to Canada. Who knows? But with so many things causing cancer these days and the warnings on the packages not to dye your hair when pregnant, all I could think was-- if I shouldn't be colouring my hair when pregnant, maybe I shouldn't be colouring it at all???!!

And that's what caused me to give it up.

So I've got some greys. Whatever. I don't care.
    I think there MAY be something to it as well. My Aunt was a hairdresser ( but now remember we are talking about the chemicals that were used back in the early 50's and they were harsher for sure ) and she always had her own hair Lucille Ball red!!
    I never knew her real hair colour in person, only from old photos. Anyway she developed brain cancer later in life, within 4 months she was gone.

Trading Score
    3 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by walkonby View Post
    I think there MAY be something to it as well. My Aunt was a hairdresser ( but now remember we are talking about the chemicals that were used back in the early 50's and they were harsher for sure ) and she always had her own hair Lucille Ball red!!
    I never knew her real hair colour in person, only from old photos. Anyway she developed brain cancer later in life, within 4 months she was gone.
    HAIR DYE AND CANCER

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/health/ar...se-cancer.html

More studies done: American Cancer Society....this is another site that suggests a link between hairdressers and bladder cancer....perhaps home use is less of a concern, it's an individual' decision of course..

http://www.cancer.org/cancer/cancerc...lace/hair-dyes

Nifty site...besides the hair dye controversy, there are other interesting topics on the right..
    http://www.globalhealingcenter.com/n...ts-hair-dye/#8

Thanks to David Suzuki I may have to stop using foamy hand cleansers, too?!
    http://www.davidsuzuki.org/issues/he...tic-chemicals/

Have a nice day, Ladies!
    Last edited by Lynn49; Fri, Aug 29th, 2014 at 08:38 AM.

Trading Score
    10 (100%)

Yep, I don't recommend getting older, I tell you!
    Check out my new life blog.
    https://plus.google.com/114910790929192660665/posts
    I will be posting on it once a week. Hopefully it will provide you with a hint or two that you can translate to your own life, to make it better. Mine keeps getting better every day!

Trading Score
    4 (100%)

First off...look at those guns on Holly!

Sure looks like she does!
    Holly you look amazing.

Um...my hair is dark, short, coarse, and thick...always has been, and always will be...although i've gotten a number more greys over the years...
    DANGER

Trading Score
    24 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by Lynn49 View Post
    HAIR DYE AND CANCER

Nifty site...besides the hair dye controversy, there are other interesting topics on the right..
    http://www.globalhealingcenter.com/n...ts-hair-dye/#8

OMG!! Lynn my Aunt also suffered horribly with crippled up hands ( rheumatoid arthritis ), could barely hold a cup of coffee. That is listed in one of the 8 things in your link! Wow, the things we find out about all the " harmless" stuff we do to ourselves.

Trading Score
    24 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by Lynn49 View Post
    HAIR DYE AND CANCER

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/health/ar...se-cancer.html

More studies done: American Cancer Society....this is another site that suggests a link between hairdressers and bladder cancer....perhaps home use is less of a concern, it's an individual' decision of course..

http://www.cancer.org/cancer/cancerc...lace/hair-dyes

Thanks to David Suzuki I may have to stop using foamy hand cleansers, too?!
    http://www.davidsuzuki.org/issues/he...tic-chemicals/
    Cancer is very much on my brain these days--what, with FIL rapidly going downhill from it and my own little panic a couple months ago about myself that turned out ok after all.

During my own little panic I was doing A LOT of reading about how X causes cancer and Y causes cancer etc and I said to my husband at dinner one night, "I'm thinking of cutting back on the sugar because there's a real strong link between sugar and cancer." And he said, "you know what? There seems to a real strong correlation between BREATHING and cancer. Everyone we know lately either has cancer or is worried about it and honestly, I think you do your best to live your life but trying to pinpoint this and that and the other as cancer causers is a little like playing whack-a-mole because it will ALWAYS be something."

He kind of had a good point.

Still, I'm going to cut back on the sugar and do what I can to reduce the risks.

My in-laws LOVE colouring their hair though-and it's true--they look so much younger for it. There IS something to be said for that.

Me...I was just too lazy for the maintenance of it. I'm a wash-n-go girl. Literally. I have a hair dryer I keep around in case I need it for putting plastic on the windows in the winter (LOL) and if I need hair done (which is never cuz I like my easy little cut and think it looks fine to me) , I ask my daughter to help me.
    "Be yourself. Everyone else is already taken." Oscar Widle

Trading Score
    109 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by walkonby View Post
    I was looking and thinking the title did not match the pic you posted, I thought now why would holly post a pic of one of her DD's hair do's in here? You!!! ARE!!!

NUFF said about that!

My dd's wouldn't be caught dead in a hair do like that, I can hear them now..."mom, you're so OLD FASHION...let me change your hairstyle" I let them put makeup on me once (other than when I couldn't do it myself, and then they did just a light job) it was an evening out look
    walkonby and ticul like this.

Trading Score
    109 (100%)

So now I have my reading material for the long weekend...thanks lynn

I was talking with dh last night and told him that I thought that after some discussion with you guys, that I was going to stop dying my hair. He just you're joking right! He was just being a smart @$$ of coarse but he said "Isn't it going to look funny when it starts to grow out" Yep, that's what it would probably look like. So, I HAVE decided to stop coloring it...when I get it cut short again. That will probably be sooner than later because it's just getting to thin, and I'm ALMOST over the "oh look, I've got hair" thing Perhaps this winter if it gets to hot, I'll get frustrated and off it will come, then I'll just get a few streaks put in to blend the old with the new until it grows out.
    walkonby and ticul like this.

Trading Score
    109 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by MrsSunshine View Post
    ha.. i think Holly took her own advice and went for a nap. didn't come back LOL.
    I did, no nap, a nighty night. Slept for about 3 and a 1/2 hours too. Felt good

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread Information