• 1 Post By Mia
  • 2 Post By luckbealady
  • 1 Post By amira84

Thread: SDM Deals - Please help

Mia
    Female
    Trading Score
    70 (100%)

I have a question about SDM flyer deals for the next week. They have Acer tablet for $99.99. Do you know if that's their lowest price, or no? Get now or wait? And do they have a good return policy? What will be their disposal fee for $99.99 Tablet?

I'm not so close to tablets, their prices and especially SDM tablet prices and would appreciate your help very much.

Here is their deal (or no deal, lol, I'm not sure):

http://flyers.smartcanucks.ca/canada...ber-5/single/9
    This thread is currently associated with: Pharmaprix, Shoppers Drug Mart
    Relax, enjoy your coffee (tea) and earn money! Any time, when you want! http://www.clixsense.com/?5881505
    And earn Amazon and other gift cards as well, fast and easy! Anyone can!
    https://www.swagbucks.com/refer/zerehas

Trading Score
    1 (100%)

I think I've seen it down to $79.99 around the holidays

I bought the Acer for my Dad last Christmas - it's okay at best. I have a Nexus 7 that I got at Shoppers - beyond the obvious price difference, I'll give you my comparison of the 2:

Nexus 7 (my version was the 1st generation 32GB, but I believe it's only the 2nd generation 16GB available now - and it's slightly cheaper at around $229), Acer 8GB but has a microSD card slot that can expand up to 32GB (paid $19.99 for the card and reader at Future Shop last Boxing Day) - issue with the Acer: I put a bunch of movies/TV shows on the SD card for my mom to watch while she was in the hospital, and I had to download an app to actually access the SD card; with the Nexus there is enough room I can put the movies right on it and watch with the Android pre-installed movie app.

Nexus 7 movie playback quality is better - although it can supposedly play 720p movies, I had to lower the quality of the movies in order to get them to play on the Acer (which had to be done by downloading a free software program on a computer first).

Sound quality - pretty quiet on both tablets - for games and music I found volume control good enough, but for movies I have to plug in speakers or headphones.

UPDATES: This is the biggest one - my Dad's Acer won't update past Android 4.1 - my Nexus has the current version of Android which is 4.4. While the Acer still works fine, eventually it will become too out of date because it can't update, and there is no intention of Acer releasing updates for it.

Quality - Acer is okay, definitely feels plastic, but still seems durable enough (I picked up a case for it on amazon that was fairly inexpensive). My Nexus does feel a tiny bit heavier, but not a huge feel difference between the 2.

Auto-Rotate: The Acer drives me insane - it's very slow to recognize when you've turned the screen (trying to go from portrait to landscape view) - if it does at all. Nexus only has a few seconds delay.

Battery Life: Seems pretty consistent between the 2, it really depends on what you're doing. Game apps like Candy Crush and Simpsons Tapped Out drain my Nexus battery pretty fast, but movies barely affect it.

Apps: Seem to be the same between the 2

Overall use: My Mom sort of took over the Acer from my Dad - she really uses it to play Solitaire and that's about it. I've used it a couple of times for web browsing, and it works fine. If you are just doing basic web browsing and maybe some simple apps and games it is okay. Personally, I use mine to watch movies and stream movies to my TV, as well as heavy game use and web browsing, so I much prefer the Nexus 7.
    If you have the money, I'd still recommend the Nexus 7 over the Acer - but if you want a tablet right away for light use the Acer is okay.

Trading Score
    1 (100%)

Oh, as far as pricing goes - I took a quick look at Future Shop and Walmart online, and the pricing is around $99 (the tablet is the Acer Iconia B1 if you want the model).

Eco fees are $1.30 for tablets in Ontario.
    If you're in a different province, you can use this link to find the fees http://www.futureshop.ca/en-CA/help/...es/hc8124.aspx
    Mia and momi like this.

Trading Score
    29 (100%)

SDM return policy for electronics

Electronics

• Returns will only be given if original product is returned in the original sealed box in saleable condition with a receipt and within the 30 day return period from original date of purchase
    • In some instances you may be required to deal directly with the manufacturer.

--
    That would be the reason I would buy from somewhere like Future Shop or The Source - both have the item at the same price.

It's great that the prior poster could compare the two directly from experience.
    I have a Nexus 7 second gen 32 gb, and it's fab!

You might need to research how the one you posted being 8 gb limits you.

Do some googling for reviews as well.

http://www.futureshop.ca/en-CA/revie...411e122115en21
    Decaf, Mia, luckbealady and 2 others like this.

Trading Score
    2 (100%)

Yeah. My Sdm also doesn't accept returns when you purchased,
    The box is open or not,my Sdm is very strict about electronics....not returns allowed.
    If anything wrong with the item,you have to contact the manufacturer.
    Mia and lp11 like this.

Mia
    Female
    Trading Score
    70 (100%)

Thank you so, so much for all the help, Luckbealady, Natalka and Momi! Especially for Acer vs Nexus comparisons and features, and SDM return policy help.

Yes, I think, I'll stay away from buying electronics from SDM. Their return policy is humiliating. Walmart or even Amazon, they are much better.

I want a tablet for my son for playing educational games. I was hesitating between LeapPad and a tablet and came to the decision to buy a tablet. But I don't want those crazy expensive ones, just a simple, 8GB tablet. Maybe I'll begin searching on Amazon.
    Last edited by Mia; Fri, Aug 29th, 2014 at 02:58 PM.
    lp11 likes this.
    Relax, enjoy your coffee (tea) and earn money! Any time, when you want! http://www.clixsense.com/?5881505
    And earn Amazon and other gift cards as well, fast and easy! Anyone can!
    https://www.swagbucks.com/refer/zerehas

Trading Score
    1 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by Mia View Post
    Thank you so, so much for all the help, Luckbealady, Natalka and Momi! Especially for Acer vs Nexus comparisons and features, and SDM return policy help.

Yes, I think, I'll stay away from buying electronics from SDM. Their return policy is humiliating. Walmart or even Amazon, they are much better.

I want a tablet for my son for playing educational games. I was hesitating between LeapPad and a tablet and came to the decision to buy a tablet. But I don't want those crazy expensive ones, just a simple, 8GB tablet. Maybe I'll begin searching on Amazon.
    The thing I'd recommend most is to go with a brand name (Asus (which is Nexus), Samsung,etc.). And of course check out reviews and what not online first.
    I'm not fearful of buying electronics at Shoppers - a lot of manufacturers actually put into their product instructions to contact them before returning a product to the store. But I'd only buy brand name and check everything out first. For me, Shoppers is great because I can redeem towards expensive electronics (I've already gotten 2 laptops there this year!).
    lp11 and amira84 like this.

Trading Score
    3 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by luckbealady View Post
    The thing I'd recommend most is to go with a brand name (Asus (which is Nexus), Samsung,etc.). And of course check out reviews and what not online first.
    I'm not fearful of buying electronics at Shoppers - a lot of manufacturers actually put into their product instructions to contact them before returning a product to the store. But I'd only buy brand name and check everything out first. For me, Shoppers is great because I can redeem towards expensive electronics (I've already gotten 2 laptops there this year!).

But what if we want to return some electronics device we bought at sdm? Let's say i called the manufacturer... What dies the manufacturer say? Do they ask us to ship the product back to them or do thet refund us the price and how do they refund the price? Actually Mia wanted to get some reviews about buying electronics at sdm but now i am very interested in buying something (electronics) during the mega redemption near christmas. But now i am too spcared to redeem my points towards electronics...
    lp11 likes this.

Trading Score
    1 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by amira84 View Post
    But what if we want to return some electronics device we bought at sdm? Let's say i called the manufacturer... What dies the manufacturer say? Do they ask us to ship the product back to them or do thet refund us the price and how do they refund the price? Actually Mia wanted to get some reviews about buying electronics at sdm but now i am very interested in buying something (electronics) during the mega redemption near christmas. But now i am too spcared to redeem my points towards electronics...
    It really depends on what the issue is - I bought a mp3 player of Zellers a long time ago that was supposed to be 8GB, but only 2GB showed up - they were able to help solve the issue through email contact. If it's a major issue they may ask you to take it to one of their brand repair shops, or ship it (which would be at your cost).
    But let me put it this way - in the past few years I've bought from Shoppers: a Nintendo Wii, a Nexus 7, an Acer Iconia B1 tablet, 2 HP laptops, a Fujifilm camera, and a Sony E-Reader - all brand name and never had an issue with a single one. And just today we picked up a Canon MX472 printer.

It is a crappy return policy - but as long as you are buying something brand name and check out reviews online so you know what you are getting into (and you can also tell what their customer service is like through reviews), then I don't think you should be fearful.
    Last edited by luckbealady; Sun, Aug 31st, 2014 at 01:40 AM.

Trading Score
    1 (100%)

Of course, I suppose it also depends on how much money you have to spend. For me, the Wii is the only thing I actually had enough extra money that I could pay for the whole thing. I never would have had enough money sitting around to buy 2 laptops in one year, or a $280 tablet, a $170 camera, etc. - so redeeming is very worthwhile for me.

Thread Information