• 1 Post By GoJays
  • 1 Post By Ciel
  • 2 Post By lilo0003
  • 1 Post By Ciel

Thread: Home Phone Service

CaNewbie
    Trading Score
    0 (0%)

After shopping around and getting nowhere with adding a simple long distance plan to our Bell home phone we have decided to go elsewhere. Main question is: Is it easier and less hassle to get Cocego who we have TV & Internet with already to take over our existing number or call Bell and cancel outright first then get cocego to setup new service and a new number. Reason for asking is with the problems we are having with Bell I can only imagine what it will be like if we call them to cancel service. Any tips or advice is most welcome and appreciated.
    This thread is currently associated with: Bell

Frosh Canuck
    Trading Score
    0 (0%)

With Bell, they require 30 day cancellation notification. They will most likely try to give you a "deal" to keep you as a customer. It may be worth staying with Bell if they lower your home phone bill. I have Bell phone but use Yak as my long distance provider (there is no contract, just pay as you use and their rates are good).

Trading Score
    3 (100%)

don't let them suck you back in... the "deal" will only be good for a year and there is no notice as to when the price goes back up again, you have to keep track yourself and call them before the increase.. if you forget to call, good luck fighting with them to get the price back down again - they always come up with an excuse as to why they can't drop it.. there's a reason why i call bell the devil

i would go ahead and call cogeco just to see what kind of price they can give you, it's not like you have to commit immediately.. if you don't like it, say thanks but no thanks, but ask about taking your phone number with you if you do change

p.s. if you do go with cogeco, let me know what kind of deal you get.. i've been toying with the idea of going with them for home phone and internet.. good luck

walkonby likes this.

Trading Score
    2 (100%)

I had a bad experience some 15 years ago with bell. I will never deal with them again. Oddly while this was going on someone else had a really bad experience and had one of those light up signs that are portable where you can change the message. Can't remember what it said but it was bad mouthing bell. Made me laugh.

Trading Score
    12 (100%)

Thought numbers were ported from one provider to another. Thing is that Bell might not expedite the request as fast you'd like it, so you could be in phone limbo.
    Used to have long distance plan back when First Rate was a gleaming deal for night/weekend Canada /US calls-120min per month. Let me tell you-if you get a LD plan with Bell, not only will you pay for the monthly plan fee +HST, you will get dinged a network charge of $6.95 (it may be more because when I saw the network charge increase notice last fall, I gave 30 days notice. Given how Bell bills you by their 28th of month to 27th of next month but PRINTS the bill on 10th of following month, you might have to wait for next two bills to see the cancellation appear. Tried to get CSRs involved-one put in a note and gave me a number. Since family member would not support my quest to get the 30 day notice on next bill, I just gave up).
    Best you get a Walmart $5 or President's Choice prepaid Long Distance Calling card $5/$20(PC cards-they are different colours for landlines vs mobile/cell phone cards). LD calls in Canada are 5 cents per minute-program the card toll-free number in your phone's memory to save time. Guess what-the fine print indicates that BELL provides the service under both brands of cards!

Note-if any family member uses Bell to directly dial LD- you get dinged $2.95+HST for accessing their network plus time of day charge for your call based on how far away your recipient is from you. Bell-Still keeping the tiered rates based on time of day. Someone at home did just that and I taped the bill above the phone and used Red Marker to point out how call could have been 25 cents with prepaid card vs the $5+ it cost to direct-dial through Bell.

Changing your local service provider-CRTC page:
    http://www.crtc.gc.ca/eng/INFO_SHT/t1023.htm
    terry2144 likes this.
    2021-Bring on the sunshine, sweets & online shopping.

Trading Score
    68 (100%)

We just ditched Cogeco home phone, the have gradually increased the price to over 40 bucks a month and we had a pretty basic plan. I was just fed up with all the gradual increases. We are with Ooma now and pay less than 4.00 a month. We have had it since April and no issues. We also just dumped a chunk of cable and a DVR. The final straw was when my phone ans Internet went down and it took 4 days for a technician to fix it. It was the router but becuase of the way they install them you can't remove it yourself. The savings are just crazy. I am fed up with them as in Internet provider, but we have had them for eons so all our stuff is linked to our cogeco email.
    BTW you can port your number but it costs more money.It would have been 10.00 a month with the same number. Cogeco screwed that up too and did not port the number that we have had for 20 years, but now we get no telemarketing calls so maybe not such a bad thing. and it saves 5.00 a month.
    Ciel and terry2144 like this.
    Friends don't let real friends pay full price.

Trading Score
    12 (100%)

@Lilo 003-you might look into a flat antenna setup. You could get a fair assortment of stations beyond TVO, CBC, Global, CTV and City where you are. We sometimes get Omni 1 and the Toronto French CBC stations too, depending on signal strength, on the escarpment in Hamilton.
    lilo0003 likes this.
    2021-Bring on the sunshine, sweets & online shopping.

Trading Score
    68 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by Ciel View Post
    @Lilo 003-you might look into a flat antenna setup. You could get a fair assortment of stations beyond TVO, CBC, Global, CTV and City where you are. We sometimes get Omni 1 and the Toronto French CBC stations too, depending on signal strength, on the escarpment in Hamilton.
    we are taking baby steps to wean off of cable, so that is on the list of things to do
    Friends don't let real friends pay full price.

Trading Score
    1 (100%)

i did like lilo did....dumped my cogeco land line at $40- a month & went with OOma. we pay $14-a month but that is b/c i insisted on getting call block.

Trading Score
    551 (100%)

I just posted a question about breaking up my bell bundle and moving my phone and internet to Primus. This thread answered a few questions of mine but im still scared to switch
    JOIN NOW WIN BIG in the Survivor Pool starting in the Spring
    Season 40 Winners At War
    https://forum.smartcanucks.ca/435852...a/#post7022499

Thread Information