User Tag List

Like Tree15Likes
  • 1 Post By greeny
  • 3 Post By mulock
  • 3 Post By BC Gal
  • 2 Post By greeny
  • 3 Post By terry2144
  • 3 Post By BC Gal

Thread: What product will get dry paint off a hardwood floor?

Frosh Canuck
    Trading Score
    0 (0%)

Anyone ever have any luck getting dried paint ofd a hardwood floor? I don't want to damage or scratch the floor.
    This thread is currently associated with: N/A
    ROMEO likes this.

Trading Score
    0 (0%)

Yikes, just the thought scares me. You should contact a flooring company, or maybe even try Home Depot.
    ROMEO, greeny and terry2144 like this.

Trading Score
    228 (100%)

Is it a drop of paint or a smear or? Are the floors new? Do they have a good topcoat or it is worn down? (trying to figure out if the paint got in the grain of the wood)
    ROMEO, greeny and terry2144 like this.

Frosh Canuck
    Trading Score
    0 (0%)

Quote Originally Posted by BC Gal View Post
    Is it a drop of paint or a smear or? Are the floors new? Do they have a good topcoat or it is worn down? (trying to figure out if the paint got in the grain of the wood)
    Drops of paint. The floors are a year old. They are shiny and have a top coat. It's not a lot..but it annoys me as my floors are dark and the paint is very light. The spots are noticeable. I don't want to ruin my floors but really want the paint drops gone. The paint is not in the grain of the wood as I can feel the paint drops when I run my fingers over the hardwood floor. I tried to lightly scratch them off with my nails, but I don't want to scratch the floor. I was hoping there was some product that could get rid of the paint drops without ruining my floors. Any suggestions?
    Last edited by greeny; Wed, Sep 3rd, 2014 at 10:02 PM.
    ROMEO and terry2144 like this.

Trading Score
    2 (100%)

I don't know anything about this but think I would agree I would do some consulting even in home Depot as suggested. You don't want to try something and mess up your floor only to find out later it was a simple fix.
    ROMEO, greeny and GoddessDigi like this.

Trading Score
    228 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by greeny View Post
    Drops of paint. The floors are a year old. They are shiny and have a top coat. It's not a lot..but it annoys me as my floors are dark and the paint is very light. The spots are noticeable. I don't want to ruin my floors but really want the paint drops gone. The paint is not in the grain of the wood as I can feel the paint drops when I run my fingers over the hardwood floor. I tried to lightly scratch them off with my nails, but I don't want to scratch the floor. I was hoping there was some product that could get rid of the paint drops without ruining my floors. Any suggestions?
    You might be able to use a razor blade or blade from an exacto knife flat on the floor and get under the droplet off at the surface level, but be very gentle so not to scratch the finish. Actually if you can use your fingernail and try that first, just try to go at it flat to the surfaces, at the point where the paint drop and the floor meet. Since the paint is not adhered to the floor they should just pop-up. There is also a product called Goof Off that is recommended though that's usually in more difficult situations like if the paint is really old or the finish on the floor has started to diminish.

I found a pic that shows what I mean about flat to the floor:
    Name:  how_to_fix_paint_drips.jpg
Views: 187
Size:  26.4 KB

If you happen to get a small scratch, there are ways to fix that, but go slow, gentle and carefully as it's best not to have to If your fingernail doesn't work, maybe start by wrapping a bit of cloth around the razor blade just to be extra-gentle. Most important is not to go downwards/angled at the paint or try to poke at the middle of the drop. Always flat to the surface.

Hope that helps!
    ROMEO, greeny and SharonMe like this.

CaNewbie
    Trading Score
    0 (0%)

^ I second that, cloth on a razerblade worked for me

Smart Canuck
    Trading Score
    43 (100%)

The Dollartree sells mini razors with handles.
    I use them for scraping stuck on mess on hard surfaces.
    Better control and safe.
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    The best things in life...aren't things

Canadian Genius
    Trading Score
    51 (100%)

Last edited by lecale; Sun, Jan 18th, 2015 at 10:29 AM.

Thread Information