Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
Like Tree55Likes

Thread: Price of Meat is going to go NUTS

no more door to door! :) walkonby's Avatar
    Trading Score
    24 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by Patty Smyth View Post
    I think I am glad we are vegetarians
    lecale when I first read your thread title I was going to say Patty is laughing all the way to the bank, but she posted already!
    Patty!! I am so envious that we cannot seem to shake our cravings for meat!!
    torontogal12 and Anna Michele like this.

babies teach us acceptance

Trading Score
    173 (100%)

Meat in general has gotten more expensive, but like others I have still found pork on sale when you would think it would see the biggest hit
    Gone are the days of $1.99/lb lean ground beef every week though, menu planning is much harder these days and completely based on sales
    walkonby and Anna Michele like this.
    Make an easy $20+ per month with Swagbucks - watch videos, search, play games & get paid!
    ~ ~ ~
    Save while shopping online with cashback from ebates
    Get cash rebates when you buy from amazon.ca, Old Navy and more - get paid by cheque or paypal!

Trading Score
    0 (0%)

I only buy meat now when I find a great sale. I have been going online and using Meat Deal Finder to easily find the best deals each week and it helps me in my menu planning. It will show you in a couple of clicks the closest store to find the best sale on what ever cut of meat you are looking for. I find that chicken is the best deal lately as beef and pork have kept climbing in price.
    torontogal12 likes this.

Canadian Guru
    Trading Score
    54 (100%)

I always seem to find the deals and stock up when I do. Never buy anything at regular price. Found medium ground beef for .99LB in the Spring and bought 45 LBS. When I had only 2Lbs left in freezer I found xtra lean for $1.99 so bought more. Seems to always work out. I found whole chickens for around $1.72LB I think it was a few weeks ago so bought 8. But need a good roast beef sale!!!!
    torontogal12 likes this.

Smart Canuck
    Trading Score
    121 (100%)

I have definitely noticed meat prices rising in the past six months or more. The summer usually brings great sales on steak during which I stock up, but the prices were not very good this year. I've noticed prices of pork going up too. We are still eating meat (I don't foresee dh ever giving up meat), and I still buy it, but I'm really having to scout for sales and stock up more then usual when a sale happens. I can only stock up a bit though as we only have the freezer with the fridge, we don't have a chest freezer.

I am also paying attention to the origin of the meat I buy. I only buy Canadian meat which is all hormone-free, unlike US meat. Sometimes this means I can't take advantage of a sale, as it is US meat. RCSS has switched most of its beef to Canadian AAA, and while the AAA rating isn't really all that meaningful anymore, at least it is Canadian. Getting PC Points offers on fresh beef and fresh pork helps with the budget.

We don't eat large portions of meat, so a package of meat is used for several meals, which helps to keep costs somewhat under control. We eat a lot of vegetables.

Prices going up is inevitable, but it is hard when the jump is large.

Smart Canuck
    Trading Score
    41 (100%)

RCSS had blade roasts on for 3.44 lb this weekend. I got 40.00 worth. cut them into 3 roasts, and packages of beef strips and beef cubes.

I stoc up when sales hit.
    the prices are .... high....
    Frugalbigmama likes this.
    to join earnably https://earnably.com/i/gigi3
    or Swagbucks
    http://www.swagbucks.com/refer/daycaremom
    offers wonderful ways to earn amazon.ca gcs... paypal and much more. message me if you want any hints.

Trading Score
    0 (0%)

My neighbour has a Costco membership and once in awhile I shop with her ( have to hand her the money since I cannot buy anything without a membership). I buy packs of chicken thighs, ground beef and once in awhile rib eye steak. The ground beef I divide into packages to freeze it. The same with the chicken thighs. The steaks are large and I divide/cut them into smaller portions. For myself I find it cheaper this way and I have meat for months. And yes I noticed bacon packages have shrunk and the prices increased. I like butterball turkey bacon and watch for sales or cheap prices.
    Natalka and torontogal12 like this.

Trading Score
    173 (100%)

I need to get a freezer to stock up on meat more
    Make an easy $20+ per month with Swagbucks - watch videos, search, play games & get paid!
    ~ ~ ~
    Save while shopping online with cashback from ebates
    Get cash rebates when you buy from amazon.ca, Old Navy and more - get paid by cheque or paypal!

Trading Score
    29 (100%)

CaNewbie
    Trading Score
    0 (0%)

Toban, I do the same at Costco, I have executive membership, and bring my neighbours on my building, or some college friends for our periodic barbeques, the value is very good

Trading Score
    368 (100%)

I noticed a year or so all of a sudden chicken prices soared. Chicken here out west is very expensive.
    I try to stock up on meat (or anything I use) when I see it on sale (like the organic ground beef that was 50% off) and freeze it.
    And not only meat prices, but produce prices are also going up, depending on weather conditions, etc.
    I wish I lived on some land where I could grow some of my own food and be more self-reliant.
    Last edited by redhdlois; Thu, Sep 11th, 2014 at 11:35 AM.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread Information