User Tag List

Like Tree2Likes
  • 1 Post By Chantel
  • 1 Post By Chantel

Thread: Good price for video game system?

CaToonie
    Trading Score
    0 (0%)

My son has been asking for a video game system for quite a while now and I am considering getting him one for Christmas this year. I know *nothing* about video games, LOL! Any idea what I would be looking at in terms of price? I'm also wondering if a video game system would even be compatible with our TV as it is quite old, so I might need to get a new TV as well...is there a way to find out if my TV would work with a particular system?
    This thread is currently associated with: N/A

Trading Score
    42 (100%)

PS4, is what I would go with.
    We have the PS3 on a very very old 'big-butt' TV (like...10+ years old, I think). It's not the best-looking quality, of course, but it works.
    We love the PS3 (and will get PS4, when finances allow), because: can browse YouTube, Netflix, Crackle...and there are some others. Can play DVDs and Blu-Ray. We actually have all the Digital Downloads of the Disney movies saved ON the actual PS3 harddrive, so DS and DD can watch whatever movie they feel like at the time.
    I have recently seen PS4 bundles going for around $400 (used/refurbished system and 1 or 2 games). I'm sure by Christmas, someplace will have a decent sale, so you might be looking at that price for a brand new system, or maybe even better.

Trading Score
    56 (100%)

As far as the television goes, if it has the audio and video plugs (red, white and yellow) then it should work with any video game system. The price of a video game system depends on type and whether it is the latest version or not. Does your son have a specific system in mind?

Trading Score
    1 (100%)

Any new system is meant to be played on an HD tv and most games won't look very good on a really old tube tv, but they'll still be playable.

Ask him first what he wants, there are a lot of systems and they're all a good chunk of change. It's better to know what he wants than to guess.

The 3 main consoles right now are Xbox One, Playstation 4 and Wii U. Wii is geared more towards younger players and families but all the systems have games for younger kids. How old is he?

Xbox/PS4 are around 400 dollars right now for a system and require ~$60 games. Wii U is about $300 with games being about $50. There are also addons like Xbox Live which allow you to play online that cost extra money.

I would personally find out what he wants and scour kijiji for it. I've seen dozens of brand new systems being sold and traded because the purchaser decided they wanted a different system or just needed the money. Keep an eye out.

CaToonie
    Trading Score
    0 (0%)

Thanks for the input! He is almost 9 years old.

Trading Score
    5 (100%)

While we are on the topic of "video games" I just purchased the Lego Movie game for P.C. and everything has been downloaded alright but now I have been thinking that I should invest in a game pad thingy because I am having visions of my grandchildren slam dunking on my "keyboard" to many times they do play the Roxio games free online. So I do have a ps2 and I have seen that there are cheap adaptors that can plug these into a usb slot then there's xbo360 gamepads that could be used and then there is ones on ebay for about 16 dollars. To tell the truth I was not thinking of this extra expense when I purchased the game and I have 2 grandchildren and they can play at the same time also. What to do ? all help will be appreciated thanks.

Trading Score
    1 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by monkeydoodle View Post
    Thanks for the input! He is almost 9 years old.
    At "almost 9" I would go for either a Wii (Original or Wii U) or maybe even a handheld, like a nintendo DS. You can find them fairly cheap secondhand, and they have a lot more games geared towards his age range.

I would go for a handheld for him, personally. More portable and then you don't have to worry about the TV.
    torontogal12 likes this.

Trading Score
    1 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by bluerose View Post
    While we are on the topic of "video games" I just purchased the Lego Movie game for P.C. and everything has been downloaded alright but now I have been thinking that I should invest in a game pad thingy because I am having visions of my grandchildren slam dunking on my "keyboard" to many times they do play the Roxio games free online. So I do have a ps2 and I have seen that there are cheap adaptors that can plug these into a usb slot then there's xbo360 gamepads that could be used and then there is ones on ebay for about 16 dollars. To tell the truth I was not thinking of this extra expense when I purchased the game and I have 2 grandchildren and they can play at the same time also. What to do ? all help will be appreciated thanks.
    There are cheapish universal game controllers that can be bought online or at most gaming stores, or most places that sell computers. Logitech makes a couple. Check thrift stores, kijiji, etc. Anything with a USB SHOULD work, but to be safe stay on the newer-looking side and look for either a production date, compatibility, etc on the back of the controller itself if buying at a thrift store. Aim for something made within the last 5-8 years at most if you can, just so it works with your computer for sure.

Or, alternatively, get a 'kid keyboard' and swap yours out for that one when they come over. You can get one at even the dollar stores now, and if they 'slam dunk' it too hard, it was only a few bucks.
    bluerose likes this.

Trading Score
    5 (100%)

Thank You Chantel,will be looking in thrift stores and when they come on sale.

Thread Information