Like Tree10Likes
  • 2 Post By Angela25
  • 1 Post By greeny
  • 3 Post By bargain_hunter_lola
  • 1 Post By Angela25
  • 1 Post By Angela25
  • 1 Post By Mia
  • 1 Post By bargain_hunter_lola

Thread: Is it still worth the drive to the States to shop?

CaNewbie
    Trading Score
    0 (0%)

With the growing numbers of American retail chains coming to our shores, I was having a discussion with college friends this weekend about our now (10th year) annual Thanksgiving (U.S.) drive down to NJ and Pennsylvania. I have compared the prices in Canada that these chains are offering with the U.S. prices and for some things it makes sense to buy in Canada, for others it is definitely worth the trip. Then of course there is online shopping from the States, the trend seems to be catching on based on necessity and economic value or just the need for something different. For some though it's the how do I get the item I paid for and how do I return it if it is not want I want. Speaking of which I myself bought a few fall boots from this online shoe store (www.shop.joliworld.com), prices were considerably fair for the quality, the boots were true to fit, and delivery was as promised. The way it worked out for me was that the store was offering free shipping to any U.S. address but since I did not have any relatives that I could ship to, I decided to use their parcel forwarding partner where I signed up for a U.S. address for only $10 a year, then I used the address to ship the boots, the service consolidates all your packages into one if you choose, and the cool thing was that I could buy from any other store and get those shipped together as well. The shipping fee was considerable less than if I were to ship on my own so that was an added bonus. My boots arrived on time (2 days), and in the condition that I expected. It may seem daunting and out of your comfort zone but believe me, the quality of the boots (arrived as described), and the efficient shipping, made it all worth it. So who knows, we may still do our annual drive but I will for sure continue shopping at my favourite destinations online too.
    This thread is currently associated with: N/A
    greeny and YOU AND ME like this.

Frosh Canuck
    Trading Score
    0 (0%)

My last few shopping trips to the U.S. were a bust. I couldn't find anything I wanted. I found the prices were not as cheap as they once were. I still plan on making future trips though as it is a fun day out.
    YOU AND ME likes this.

Trading Score
    726 (100%)

It really depends what you're looking for. I like shopping in the US mainly for variety, but also good deals of course.

We just went on Tuesday and Kmart had a bunch of clearance toys for an extra 40% off. I got our kids loads of toys for a fraction of the cost it would be regular price here. Also I was able to get toys that we don't have. I saw Frozen toys in almost every store but I barely find anything here!

So if you're going by price alone then I wouldn't say its worth it (also depends on the length of drive) but for variety it's definitely is worth the drive IMO.

Sent from my iPod touch using Tapatalk
    YOU AND ME, Mia and Sunshyne1 like this.

CaNewbie
    Trading Score
    0 (0%)

Agreed with greeny some of the prices, that's why depending on what it is, I plan to find the online deals and then ship these over as much as I can and try to follow up with the massive sales like after xmas etc. The drive down for shopping would now mostly be be for scenery and camaraderie. I just wished that the chains that came over here could give us the same value as we can find in the states, but I guess duties is the always the issue.
    YOU AND ME likes this.

CaNewbie
    Trading Score
    0 (0%)

Bargain Hunter yes that is true, the Toys are always heavily discounted in most stores except forToys R us. I can buy for every kid on my Xmas list at really a fraction of the costs that we pay here. I also like children's clothing prices too, even though Target has some ok prices now and again.
    YOU AND ME likes this.

Trading Score
    591 (100%)

Some items are cheaper but other are the same price here even when they have a sale,mind you we don't have the variety that they have
    http://forum.smartcanucks.ca/411352-...-lists-canada/

Please use my ​Orange key when you open a Tangerine account 41140291S1

Must Coupon, Must Save :) SassyAshley's Avatar
    Trading Score
    64 (100%)

I used to travel down to the US on business where I would go into stores. I have never been one to travel to US to try and find deals I more so used it as a way to get items we cannot get in Canada. Granted yes the last time I went and went to grab Cheesecake Jell-O Pudding it was on sale for $0.25 so yes instead of my normal 2 to 3 boxes I got 8 boxes but in all honesty I have never taken a trip just to shop.
    2022 is going to be my year, the year I find organization in my life and the year I focus on myself,
    follow along as tackle day to day life and whatever else 2021 throws at me:

https://www.instagram.com/thelife.ofsassy

Mia
    Female
    Trading Score
    70 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by Angela25 View Post
    With the growing numbers of American retail chains coming to our shores, I was having a discussion with college friends this weekend about our now (10th year) annual Thanksgiving (U.S.) drive down to NJ and Pennsylvania. I have compared the prices in Canada that these chains are offering with the U.S. prices and for some things it makes sense to buy in Canada, for others it is definitely worth the trip. Then of course there is online shopping from the States, the trend seems to be catching on based on necessity and economic value or just the need for something different. For some though it's the how do I get the item I paid for and how do I return it if it is not want I want. Speaking of which I myself bought a few fall boots from this online shoe store (www.shop.joliworld.com), prices were considerably fair for the quality, the boots were true to fit, and delivery was as promised. The way it worked out for me was that the store was offering free shipping to any U.S. address but since I did not have any relatives that I could ship to, I decided to use their parcel forwarding partner where I signed up for a U.S. address for only $10 a year, then I used the address to ship the boots, the service consolidates all your packages into one if you choose, and the cool thing was that I could buy from any other store and get those shipped together as well. The shipping fee was considerable less than if I were to ship on my own so that was an added bonus. My boots arrived on time (2 days), and in the condition that I expected. It may seem daunting and out of your comfort zone but believe me, the quality of the boots (arrived as described), and the efficient shipping, made it all worth it. So who knows, we may still do our annual drive but I will for sure continue shopping at my favourite destinations online too.
    Nice topic but some questions a little bit out of topic

Can you give me more details about partner website which you signed up for $10 a year? If I understand right, you sign up, they get your parcel and forward that to your address. How much do they charge (a partner site) for shipping to Canada? And do you have to pay double shipping price? I mean, shipping cost from American website to an American address (which a partner website gives you for $10 a year) + forward shipping cost to your Canadian address. If yes, that will be not cheap. What are approximate costs of that?
    Relax, enjoy your coffee (tea) and earn money! Any time, when you want! http://www.clixsense.com/?5881505
    And earn Amazon and other gift cards as well, fast and easy! Anyone can!
    https://www.swagbucks.com/refer/zerehas

Trading Score
    726 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by Mia View Post
    Nice topic but some questions a little bit out of topic

Can you give me more details about partner website which you signed up for $10 a year? If I understand right, you sign up, they get your parcel and forward that to your address. How much do they charge (a partner site) for shipping to Canada? And do you have to pay double shipping price? I mean, shipping cost from American website to an American address (which a partner website gives you for $10 a year) + forward shipping cost to your Canadian address. If yes, that will be not cheap. What are approximate costs of that?
    I'm curious also. There's always items on amazon.com I'm interested in but a lot of times they don't ship to Canada. My mom had been talking about opening a US post box together but it seems like a lot of work/extra cost.

If there's a link for more info for the partner site (or similar) that would be awesome!

Sent from my iPod touch using Tapatalk
    Mia likes this.

Trading Score
    0 (0%)

I find it all depends on what you're looking for. Some items are more expensive while some are cheaper. I have found some clothes to be similar in price (a bit more when you factor in exchange) while many food items to be cheaper. I always stock up on food when I am down there as prices can be 30-40% cheaper and coupons are easy to find
    http://www.ourbigfatwallet.com - Saving, Investing & Frugal Living

Free Groceries! Use the referral code CRCAL-WESJAD at Spud.ca to get $20 off your first grocery order of $50 or more (a 40% savings)

Trading Score
    17 (100%)

We go to the States almost soley for food products they don't carry here in Canada.

i don't go expressly to find deals....but I do find coffee to be much cheaper over there. And some other staples. But it's definately not how it used to be.

Thread Information