• 2 Post By alohamom
  • 1 Post By bargain_hunter_lola
  • 2 Post By Lynn49
  • 2 Post By ninna
  • 1 Post By toban

Thread: Disney World / Orlando questions

Trading Score
    0 (0%)

I've been invited to Orlando, Disney World and likely visiting April or May 2015. The family members are renting a house and I plan on flying from the USA because the flights are cheaper. I'll be saving oodles by doing this.

My first time to this area. Any tips on what to avoid (not worth the money, too expensive) and what is worth seeing? Also any recommendation for activities in Orlando besides Disney World. Tips on saving money or discounts?

Thanks!
    This thread is currently associated with: N/A

Trading Score
    6 (100%)

Check out www.disboards.com and www.allearsnet.com, both are forums like this ad have tons of info, not just on Disney but the whole Orlando area
    bargain_hunter_lola and ninna like this.

I'm here for the Survivor Pool

Trading Score
    726 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by alohamom View Post
    Check out www.disboards.com and www.allearsnet.com, both are forums like this ad have tons of info, not just on Disney but the whole Orlando area
    Thanks for the links! We're going in February (also rented a house). I'll definitely check out the forums!
    ninna likes this.

Trading Score
    3 (100%)

Don't buy any souveniers within the parks unless it's something special...far overpriced...stop at one of the many gift shops along International Drive in Orlando and go nuts. But your tickets through Mouse Ears (or some such, we did) or at the local Walmart, which we did last time. Do go to the outlet mall at the end of International Drive in Orlando for some great shopping.
    Buy Free Pass tickets to the very special rides you want to go on, to avoid long line-ups...take your time, don't rush in to get to the best rides, everyone does that, and it's not worth it...save it for a bit later, with a Free Pass (is that what they're called?) We were just there last Spring and I forget already...lol...but we stayed at a Disney resort and had those wrist bands that let us on to all the rides without waiting in line.

This was my favourite site for information"
    http://www.mousesavers.com/links-to-useful-sites/

I think this is where we purchased our tickets the second time we went...
    https://www.undercovertourist.com/?g...FQGqaQodx1cAEw

Order the video...get the map and map out the attractions you want to see the most...it save a lot of back-tracking and wasting time. Think of it as a trek...you need a plan.

Enjoy!!!
    ninna and toban like this.

Trading Score
    24 (100%)

I second the motion about NOT buying souvenirs in the park. It's crazy stupid how expensive they are when all of the shops on the main road outside the gates offer the exact same souvenirs for waaaaay less.

If you don't have a lot of time to spend at Disney itself and want to see as much of the park as you can, I highly recommend buying one of those books that offers advice about how to see Disney. There is a bunch of different ones but I think the one I got was called "The unofficial guide to Disney" or something like that. They are published every year and cost about $25 bucks which sounds ridiculous but they are fantastic and it's absolutely worth getting the most up to date edition and spending the money...here's why: the books tell you about each of the parks in detail (rides, food), give you tips, tell you what attractions are currently closed/under construction, give you the low down on what each ride entails and which ones really aren't worth the wait, and best of all, they offer "touring plans." It's the touring plans you are after because the authors have nailed it down to a science about what rides to ride and when to ride them and in what order to ride them in order to save you excessive line waiting times. We used the tour plans both times we went and got to experience a ridiculous number of rides. These authors KNOW what they are talking about!! This is especially useful if you will have kids with you. I know it sounds a little 'type A" personality and maybe it doesn't work for everyone, but we loved the touring plans and wouldn't do Disney any other way.
    Lynn49 and toban like this.
    "Be yourself. Everyone else is already taken." Oscar Widle

Trading Score
    3 (100%)

Although we've never purchased the book, I absolutely agree with Ninna about having a "plan", as I mentioned....you can waste so much valuable time, nevermind aggravation and spinning in place, by charting the rides you most want, you won't miss them then have to double-back across a maze of acreage. That's what's so exhausting. Although on first sight the map of the park looks impossible to navigate in any order whatsoever, you can go through it stage by stage. The maps are all on line: print each area out, mark your path and then relax and enjoy!

Trading Score
    6 (100%)

As far as touring plans for Disney go, I use easy WDW

http://www.easywdw.com/category/calendar/

it is free and has always worked very well for our family. It takes some reading and you will need to look at it closer to your actual arrival time because it does get updated. Probably my favorite Disney tool ever!

I'm here for the Survivor Pool

Trading Score
    0 (0%)

Thank you everyone for the useful tips and information. This is really helpful. I definitely don't want to waste money on things that are not worth seeing. If you have more info please add it. The more the better.
    Lynn49 likes this.

Trading Score
    39 (100%)

For Disney related souvenirs and merchandise, I went to the Disney Character Warehouse in Orlando Premium Outlets located in International Drive. Some of the stuff are really cheap depending on what they have when you walk in. Stuff sell fast, so if you see something buy it or else it won't be there when you go back again. I went there twice in one day and stuff changed when I went in the afternoon. The afternoon stuff looked more picked on than the morning stuff as the store can get really packed.

Trading Score
    0 (0%)

Also checkout downtown Disney. Free entry and really pretty at night. We had fun window shopping and getting exclusive mr. Potato head parts (fill a box for x amount $). Since you are staying in a house check local grocery stores for sales and base meals on them, also get free membership card for extra savings. Mini putt places are on almost every corner.

You'll also be 2-3 drive from the ocean, probably too cold for swimming but nice strolling and seashell collecting.

Tanger outlets are great too and you can get extra savings if you print them out at home.

Red box is great to use on rainy days or in the evenings, cheap movies usually $1 per day

If you go out to eat look for cici's pizza buffet, all you can eat for $6-7 including drink. Steak and shake have amazing burgers and shakes. $4 meals and half price shakes 2-4pm.

Thread Information