User Tag List

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast
Like Tree35Likes

Thread: Has anyone used Roam mobility while in the USA?

Junior Canuck
    Trading Score
    0 (0%)

Quote Originally Posted by bhlombardy View Post
    As I said, I had never heard about ROAM until this thread. But I'll be experimenting with it in a couple of weeks when I go to Boston over our Thanksgiving break. Their coverage map shows a great deal of "dead" or 2G-only spots in most of Maine where I'll be driving, but once in NH and MA it should be fine.

I like the notion of ROAM's $3.95/day option. After the SIM card ($20) and $4 per day ($12) that I'll be using it... plus HST, it will be about $10 cheaper than Straight Talk.

So, for this upcoming trip, I'm going to opt to NOT re-activate my Straight Talk plan, and try out this Roam, in the interest of science.

I'll let you know how I make out.
    I had a similar reaction too two years ago. Roam Mobility is operated by Canadians, for Canadians, Love Canadians....

Some will benefit with getting ATT, TMobile, or dedicated USA sim cards. But for the occassional US traveller and the ability to call Canadian numbers is the main reason I choose Roam unless I'm going to states with no Roam Mobility coverage (Alaska).

Being able to access multiple gigs when in the US is incredibly attractive to research my itinery at the last minute and make reservations on the road without public wifi security issues.

CaNewbie
    Trading Score
    0 (0%)

I highly recommend using Roam Mobility when travelling in the US. I used it for the first time this summer with a Samsung Galaxy S2 phone. I think any smartphone should work as long as it's unlocked.

I didn't have to upgrade and had 4G coverage for the first 300 MB. It was great!

Smart Canuck
    Trading Score
    0 (0%)

Quote Originally Posted by toban View Post
    I contacted AT&T (chat support) and they said my Samsung Galaxy S2x (SGH-T989D) will not work on their network. So I'm either going with Roam using the above phone or purchasing a cheap prepaid phone at Straight Talk or AT&T to use. Any other ideas please let me know.
    Toban,

You can still buy a Straight Talk package as I mentioned above and use with your Galaxy S2. The Straight Talk starter package comes with multiple SIM cards for network compatability. However your phone does have to be unlocked (and you mention that it is).
    toban likes this.

Trading Score
    0 (0%)

Quote Originally Posted by xlxo View Post
    To clarify... which carrier is your Samsung Galaxy S2x (SGH-T989D) from? Wind?
    The phone is with Koodo. I had it unlocked and switched to Speak Out wireless (7-11) which runs on Rogers towers.

Smart Canuck
    Trading Score
    0 (0%)

Not quite.... some SIMs do not support data. Different phone carriers may use different frequencies for 4G/LTE.
    Yes, they do. But most modern GSM phones sold in North America can operate to be compatible on all frequencies used in North America.

Case in point, his Galaxy S2x will operate in the following ranges:
    2G Networks GSM 850 / 900 / 1800 / 1900
    3G Networks HSDPA 850 / 1700 / 1900 / 2100

So if the SIM he chooses to use is Roam Mobility (which uses T-Mobile's network in the US) -- then the phone will connect at the 2G network on 850Mhz (GSM standard) or 1900Mhz and connect to 3G/4G/LTE* at 1700 / 2100 Mhz... because his phone is compatible with those.

The same info above would apply if he bought a T-Mobile SIM in the US.

If he were to use an ATT SIM, for example, it would hit the 850 standard on 2G... but also their 1900Mhz for 3G/4G/LTE* (because the phone is also compatible with those)

Network coverage not withstanding, he'd have no problem using either an ATT SIM, or a TMobile SIM in his phone. Or any other branded piggy-back provider (such as Straight Talk, Tracfone, etc) SIM because they're setup to operate on any array of the above frequencies -- all of which his phone is compatible.

He does mention that he used his phone on both Koodo (Telus) and on Speak Out (Rogers band) which is actually further evidence that his phone is compatible with all GSM bands.

*Technically, his phone wont connect to LTE at the T989 is not LTE compatible... but anyone else with with an LTE phone would.
    Last edited by bhlombardy; Fri, Sep 26th, 2014 at 07:04 PM.

Junior Canuck
    Trading Score
    0 (0%)

I agree that toban should have no problems with Roam or ATT. Yes go with Roam for coverage, flexibility and savings in Orlando. I'm somewhat surprised by ATT's response to him. My Blackberry works on Roam or ATT sim's.

I had a couple of older phones that I took on a trip to Las Vegas 5 years ago. I picked up a H2O card from Best Buy Mobile. Data would be available on one Telus phone, but not another Telus phone. The difference was likely supported frequencies.

But your statement about all North American SIM cards is the same is not quite correct. For example, what happens if you put a Wind SIM card on Telus phone. Does Telus phones support LTE AWS? If you stick a Mobilicity card, you would be limited to 2G because that's all they support.

Trading Score
    0 (0%)

Thanks for all the information. I appreciate it. I chatted with AT&T support over the internet. I told him the model, he checked and said no. But maybe he was wrong, I don't know. I'm deciding between Roam, Straight Talk. or ATT. I'm wondering if I purchase a ATT sim card in the states if there is anyway to tell if it will work before purchasing minutes?

Junior Canuck
    Trading Score
    0 (0%)

Some other thoughts....
    • if you get Roam here in Canada... you can choose the activation date. When you cross the border, your Roam SIM will start working.
    • With the ATT and other products... you need to find a retailer (a pain at the airport) and then do the configuration there wasting vacation time.

If you do want to choose ATT or a US sim card... look for Best Buy MOBILE stores. They will ensure you are working before you walk out the door. Best Buy regular stores will sell you the product, but you need to activate it at HOME or your HOTEL. This was painful in Vegas when I discovered the H2O sim was not compatible with my phone and returning the card was going to cost a taxi ride, which was more than the product itself. Things might have changed now, but I insist on having the retailer do a full setup for me on the spot instead of calling busy support lines from a hotel room.
    Last edited by xlxo; Sat, Sep 27th, 2014 at 05:40 PM.

Smart Canuck
    Trading Score
    0 (0%)

But your statement about all North American SIM cards is the same is not quite correct. For example, what happens if you put a Wind SIM card on Telus phone.
    This is the misconception most people have. Keep in mind that "Telus" doesnt manufacture phones. If you buy a Samsung Galaxy S5 (from Telus, or any carrier), it's built to work like all Galaxy S5 models for the particular region they are selling it. (ie: North America). They ALL support the same range of frequencies despite what carrier provides you the phone.

The Galaxy S5 you get from Bell is "technically" the exact same phone you get from Telus or from Rogers (or any one of their off-shoots). It is "capable" (the operative word) of hitting any of the frequencies being used by any other carrier in North America... because it's made by Samsung, they WANT it to work everywhere it possibly can.

What limits the phone from connecting to another frequency are two things:

1.) The SIM card tells the phone which frequencies to operate at (and in which priority), and which mobile network to authenticate with.

2.) The firmware on that the phone you get from Telus is locked to only accept Telus SIM cards (hence the mis-perception that it only works on Telus towers). But as item 1 points out, it's the SIM that tells the phone what frequencies to use. -- So for example: If Telus decided tomorrow they wanted to change their band - say from 1900Mhz to 2100Mhz (for example. Also: let's assume Industry Canada let them do this), then all they need to do is update your SIM card and your phone will still work... but your SIM needs to tell the phone to NOW operate on the 2100Mhz band instead of 1900Mhz. And it will, because the phone is built to do that.

However, your phone is still locked to Telus SIMs... but it's readily adaptable to the new frequency.

CARRIER-UNLOCK:

Once you UNLOCK your phone, then it will accept ANY branded SIM card. Since the SIM card instructs the phone what frequencies to use (and what network to authenticate with), then so long as the phone works on that particular frequency, then it will work and then authenticate on that new network. [And going back to my previous post, it was established that the OPs Galaxy S-IIx operates on all of the current North America GSM frequencies - as most modern phones are]

Take the Telus SIM out, and put in a Bell one (because you removed that limitation when you unlocked it).

The Bell SIM now tells the phone "connect at 1700Mhz and authenticate with Bell" -- and it does... because the phone is Samsung Galaxy S5... and by it's design it works on 1700Mhz frequencies as well.

Does Telus phones support LTE AWS? If you stick a Mobilicity card, you would be limited to 2G because that's all they support.
    It will if the PHONE you are using is designed to support it. If the phone model is capable of LTE, and operates on the AWS bands, and it's unlocked, then yes it will. If the PHONE is not capable of LTE (AWS), then correct, it will not. -- All as detailed above.

LTE AWS runs on 1700Mhz band... in the OPs case, his phone model (the Galaxy S-IIx - T989D) does support LTE AWS (from what info I could gather online about that model), so I would argue strongly in favour that it would.
    The original S-II did not support LTE, however, but the S-IIx can.
    Last edited by bhlombardy; Mon, Sep 29th, 2014 at 08:57 PM.

Junior Canuck
    Trading Score
    0 (0%)

fyi.... to sweeten the deal.... Roam Mobility just announced a 33% bonus on talk+text+data until the end of the year. Kudo's!

http://www.roammobility.com/plans

Trading Score
    0 (0%)

I've never used Roam, although I used to have a Korean cell-phone and roaming would work anywhere in the USA. I had also used it in Singapore and Thailand. Not once did I get charged a roaming fee.....I was told it was because the staff at SK Telecom don't speak English and didn't know how to handle the roaming charges when they arrived in English. I loved that phone

Smart Canuck
    Trading Score
    0 (0%)

fyi.... to sweeten the deal.... Roam Mobility just announced a 33% bonus on talk+text+data until the end of the year. Kudo's!

http://www.roammobility.com/plans
    It's not "koodo", its Roam... ;-)

Seriously though, Thanks for the tip... I'm about to pre-order my plan for the long weekend.
    Last edited by bhlombardy; Mon, Oct 6th, 2014 at 06:51 PM.

CaNewbie
    Trading Score
    0 (0%)

I brought my Galaxy S5 (unlocked) down to Seattle with me for PAX this year, and had an active Roam card the entire trip.

It's VERY convenient - you get a large amount of 4G data for relatively cheap. If that runs out, you will still get unlimited 2g data. Reception was good as well, maintaining my phone's signal for GPS the entire trip. The automatic top up / renewal is handy as well, as you might not have access to free wifi while your SIM is offline.

Trading Score
    346 (100%)

Using ROAM has been the easiest. You can set up before you go. Their support is helpful. Compared to buying phones and trying to set up from hotel, it's 20x better. I just purchased a talk and text option with them. Phoning home to Canada or texting is a great plus.
    Extra cash here - earn by searching/watching videos/doing offers on swagbucks - it's a legit site and pays reliably.

Already do swagbucks?try Instagc or pm me for invite codes for Gifthulk.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread Information