User Tag List

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast
Like Tree35Likes

Thread: Has anyone used Roam mobility while in the USA?

Smart Canuck
    Trading Score
    0 (0%)

So, I just returned from my 3-day experience with Roam... and as someone who has used Straight Talk (bought and configured in the US)

As promised, here is my PRO/CON run-down on both:

Straight Talk... SIM: $15 ... $45 plan
    PRO: Unlimited talk/text/data* (up to 3GB of data per month, then speed is throttled)
    PRO: Coverage is excellent - virtually anywhere (I have used this in rural Maine with one very brief spot with no signal, usually had full 4G/LTE)
    PRO: Choose your phone # to be located in virtually any locale of the US.
    PRO: Buy SIM and top-up cards in Walmart stores.

CON: Cost is US funds, and you will pay exchange rate.
    CON: Can't call/text to anyone outside of the US (there is an add-on pkg for $10 if you wish to)
    CON: Internet connection (almost) a must to setup account initially. Which means you'll have to find a wifi spot to get started after you buy your SIM.
    CON: 30-day plans only... not ideal for short-term usage

Roam Mobility... SIM $20 ... $4/day plan
    PRO: Daily rate. If you only need a few days, $4 per day is ideal
    PRO: Cost is in CANADIAN FUNDS.
    PRO: Unlimited talk/text, INCLUDING to Canada at no additional cost.
    PRO: Scheduled start times. Set your plan to begin at a certain time of the day. (although my 8pm start time didn't kick in until 8:12pm)

CON: An extra (one-time) $2 charge for LTE compatibility. Why??
    CON: Data is limited to 300mb per day (if you use more than 300mb per day, I don't)
    CON: Can't choose a phone # for a location where they don't have coverage (Calais, ME for example). The online system held up my account trying to obtain a phone # for Calais, ME
    CON: Coverage is somewhat sporadic and weak compared to Straight Talk. With Roam, I had no signal in the top 2/3 of Maine. I finally achieved Edge signal in Bangor and southern areas of the state. I only began seeing 4G coverage in Portland ME. 4G Coverage WAS 'OK' in Southern NH and most of Eastern (Worcester to Boston) Massachusetts, however - although still spotty in some areas and indoors (where Straight Talk was not)

---
    Summary:

The biggest caveat here seems to be with Roam's coverage areas... and even then it's hard to complain a whole lot with Roam. After all, I DID have "decent" coverage in and around Boston, it just wasn't as strong nor consistent in some more rural areas and inside buildings as I had with Straight Talk.

I would suggest that before you travel you check out Roam's coverage maps. Be sure to ZOOM IN on the maps to see a detailed version to see stronger coverage areas. The darker green areas (once zoomed in) tend to have the best coverage for 4G/LTE. The paler 'yellow' areas are 2G at best.

Otherwise, Roam is ideal for the short term travel. at $4/day it's certainly an easy pill to swallow. I paid less than $15 (tax-in) for my 3-day weekend on Roam, versus the $50 ($45+exchange rate) that Straight Talk would have cost me for 30 days of service, (27 of which I wouldnt likely have seen).

The BIGGEST plus for Roam is the ability call/text/MMS back to Canada at no additional cost. Especially since you're from Canada, there's a good chance you'd be calling or texting home at one point. -- just warn your friends that a text BACK to you might cost them if their plan in Canada doesn't include international text.

All in all, Roam is a big contender for travelers with unlocked phones. I only wish the coverage was a bit better, and really, they should drop the $2 surcharge for LTE and include it in the cost of the SIM.

I'm more likely to use Roam again, next time I travel further south than Maine.
    ROMEO likes this.

Junior Canuck
    Trading Score
    0 (0%)

Quote Originally Posted by bhlombardy View Post
    PRO: Daily rate. If you only need a few days, $4 per day is ideal
    CON: Data is limited to 300mb per day (if you use more than 300mb per day, I don't)
    It can be $2 a day if you choose to exclude the Text and can live with 2G speeds. I think the $2 charge will go away when they purge out their legacy cards. Personally, I'm happy with 3G plus speeds.
    http://www.roammobility.com/plans

Correction, Roam is not limited to 300mb a day. It's 300mb full speed before they throttle to 2G unlimited. This unlimited feature was available a few months ago. This came in handy for a weekend trip when I ran out of full speed data, but 2G allowed me to check the border webcams for wait times. Also didn't they raise it to 400mb for a single day. Check the plan link for the latest allocations.

You can more full speed data if you choose more days or a data add-on. Roam Mobility also offers "flex scheduling". So if you are travelling to the states for several days, but find yourself for a few days without needing Roam (cruises? sea days? travelling in states or areas with no coverage?)... you can tell Roam to not charge you on those dates.
    http://www.roammobility.com/blog/how...heduling-work/
    Last edited by xlxo; Tue, Oct 14th, 2014 at 10:48 PM.
    ROMEO likes this.

Trading Score
    4 (100%)

i'm a bell client and just add on the US packages when i go south. they start the first time you access a US network. i've never had problems with coverage or billing. no messing with sim cards, unlocking phones or anything. easy peasy

talk and text-
    Monthly fee $30
    Includes
    • 100 minutes (including long distance to Canada/U.S.)
    • 1000 sent text messages
    • Unlimited incoming text messages
    Additional minutes $0.20/min
    Additional $0.50/min for calls terminating outside Canada/U.S.
    Additional sent text messages $0.02/message sent

data-
    With this Travel Data Pass, you can use data day or night while in the United States (including the U.S. Virgin Islands and Puerto Rico). All data charges are included.
    You must start using your data pass in the U.S. within 30 days of purchase or it will expire. Once you start using your data pass it will be valid for 30 days.
    We will send you a notice when you have used 80% of the pass, and another when you have used 100%. Notices will include a link to buy another pass.
    Purchase a Travel Data Pass and save off the regular pay-per-use rates.
    Fee $20
    Megabytes included 100 MB
    ROMEO and Giving-Small like this.

Junior Canuck
    Trading Score
    0 (0%)

For minimal use... travel data packages are best. However, once you exceed 100mb of data... swapping out the SIM card will give you better value.
    ROMEO likes this.

Trading Score
    4 (100%)

there's one more level of data available:

With this Travel Data Pass, you can use data day or night while in the United States (including the U.S. Virgin Islands and Puerto Rico). All data charges are included.
    You must start using your data pass in the U.S. within 30 days of purchase or it will expire. Once you start using your data pass it will be valid for 30 days.
    We will send you a notice when you have used 80% of the pass, and another when you have used 100%. Notices will include a link to buy another pass.
    Purchase a Travel Data Pass and save off the regular pay-per-use rates.
    Fee $50
    Megabytes included 500 MB

looks like the max i've ever used in a month is just about 650 MB but my usage is usually under 500 MB.
    ROMEO likes this.

Junior Canuck
    Trading Score
    0 (0%)

Quote Originally Posted by heartgirl99 View Post
    there's one more level of data available:

Fee $50
    Megabytes included 500 MB

looks like the max i've ever used in a month is just about 650 MB but my usage is usually under 500 MB.
    Hmm...
    • Bell has $20 for 100mb and $50 for 500mb.
    • Roam mobility has $20 for 2gb and $50 for 5gb

650mb? Roam Mobility has something for you at $8.

Have a look at this Bell comparison....
    http://www.roammobility.com/compare/bell
    ROMEO likes this.

Trading Score
    4 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by xlxo View Post
    Hmm...
    • Bell has $20 for 100mb and $50 for 500mb.
    • Roam mobility has $20 for 2gb and $50 for 5gb

650mb? Roam Mobility has something for you at $8.

Have a look at this Bell comparison....
    http://www.roammobility.com/compare/bell

cool!

i'll have to keep this in mind for my next trip south
    ROMEO likes this.

Smart Canuck
    Trading Score
    0 (0%)

The cost of most US add-on packages by the Canadian carriers is a poor value compared to what you get with Roam or a US carrier, to be sure.

However, the biggest perk by getting the add-on with your Canadian carrier is that you keep your actual phone number. This is less of a concern for me, but I know people who would be at a loss to try and update everyone back home with their 'roaming' number while on vacation. Sometimes it's just easier.
    ROMEO likes this.

Junior Canuck
    Trading Score
    0 (0%)

However, the biggest perk by getting the add-on with your Canadian carrier is that you keep your actual phone number. This is less of a concern for me, but I know people who would be at a loss to try and update everyone back home with their 'roaming' number while on vacation.
    I agree...
    • some will put a Roam Mobility sim on their old phone, while they keep their Canadian number on their main phone.
    • if you don't have an old phone, Roam Mobility sells unlocked phones.
      http://www.roammobility.com/breeze-phone
    • check out their "Liberty" option. While not cheap.... Liberty pays for itself with your carrier's roaming charges you save. You save even more since that SIM card can be used by several devices AT THE SAME TIME.
      http://www.roammobility.com/liberty-hotspot

Again... Roam Mobility is Canadian, for Canadians, love Canadians.
    ROMEO likes this.

Smart Canuck
    Trading Score
    0 (0%)

I agree...
    • some will put a Roam Mobility sim on their old phone, while they keep their Canadian number on their main phone.
    Although, taking two phones on vacation, with the intent to keep your current phone # active, kind of defeats the purpose of getting a US roaming service. -- unless of course you are suggesting they leave their primary phone at home.

check out their "Liberty" option. While not cheap.... Liberty pays for itself with your carrier's roaming charges you save. You save even more since that SIM card can be used by several devices AT THE SAME TIME.
    The Liberty is not a SIM card. It's a hotspot device for connecting to a roaming 3G/4G/LTE data connection. You can pair up to 5 devices to it, much like you would a wireless router, yes including your smartphone.

The only issue with the LIBERTY is that it's for data only and doesn't handle voice nor text, nor does it pass through any of your other "phone services".

If you were to keep your phone active for voice and text, and connect to this hotspot, the only thing transferring through it would "most" internet data. Your phone calls, SMS/MMS plus anything that requires your phone's data services, would still be considered roaming on your phone. If you're still using your primary carrier, you'll still be subject to their roaming charges.

As well, this is assuming you could keep it live 24/7, and connected to your device all the while. If you lose a connection, or it dies, your phone will revert to data roaming.

Junior Canuck
    Trading Score
    0 (0%)

Although, taking two phones on vacation, with the intent to keep your current phone # active, kind of defeats the purpose of getting a US roaming service. -- unless of course you are suggesting they leave their primary phone at home.
    Not quite.... some people want incoming calls to come into their regular sim with a small roaming package. Reviewing the caller id or listening to the voice mail, they would use the Roam Mobility SIM to call back.

The Liberty is not a SIM card. It's a hotspot device for connecting to a roaming 3G/4G/LTE data connection. You can pair up to 5 devices to it, much like you would a wireless router, yes including your smartphone.

The only issue with the LIBERTY is that it's for data only and doesn't handle voice nor text, nor does it pass through any of your other "phone services".

If you were to keep your phone active for voice and text, and connect to this hotspot, the only thing transferring through it would "most" internet data. Your phone calls, SMS/MMS plus anything that requires your phone's data services, would still be considered roaming on your phone. If you're still using your primary carrier, you'll still be subject to their roaming charges.

As well, this is assuming you could keep it live 24/7, and connected to your device all the while. If you lose a connection, or it dies, your phone will revert to data roaming.
    Yes, Liberty only provides data. It depends on the user.... some are only interested in Data.... cheap data when in the States and never needing to use voice. If voice is required, they might use Skype or a messaging service BBM.

Depending on the knowledge/skill of the user.... you can use the voice package of the Canadian carrier, but use the Liberty for data. On my Blackberry, I can roam on my Telus voice plan, but not use the tiny Telus data until I hit perhaps the rare Roam deadzone. Instead tell the Blackberry to use the wifi connected to Liberty. This way friends can reach me at my regular number, while I have multiple gigs with Liberty. I have Liberty connected to a 16800mah external battery that can last the day.

The point is Roam offers flexible solutions beyond a SIM replacement with unlocked phones and wireless hotspots.
    Last edited by xlxo; Tue, Nov 11th, 2014 at 01:05 PM.

CaNewbie
    Trading Score
    0 (0%)

Good tips I do the same when I travel to my parents they live in LA and I in OH . I pretty much follow the same routine.

For minimal use... travel data packages are best. However, once you exceed 100mb of data... swapping out the SIM card will give you better value.
    PBH Canada

Junior Canuck
    Trading Score
    0 (0%)

In the states right now and had to purchase a new Roam Mobility nano SIM for my Blackberry Passport.

Love Roam Mobility on my BB10 Passport!
    Giving-Small likes this.

Junior Canuck
    Trading Score
    0 (0%)

Another update... fyi.... on the website, it officially announces the revised SIMs come with LTE and are $10...
    http://www.roammobility.com/sim-card
    Giving-Small likes this.

Trading Score
    0 (0%)

I just got back from a trip to the US and used Roam Mobility for my trip. I was in larger cities for some of the trip but also some rural areas. As someone mentioned above it is important to check the coverage map when travelling to see if there is Roam coverage. In the larger cities it was great but in the rural areas it was spotty. If you're travelling to rural areas and looking for great coverage, Roam likely isn't your best bet.

That being said I paid less than $13 for 3 days of unlimited talk, text, data etc and it was great knowing I wouldn't come back home to a huge cell phone bill.

While I was flying to the states I popped out my Canadian SIM card for the Roam one and turned it on once I landed; no problems there and also no problems going back to my old SIM card when flying back. Another nice thing about Roam is that you can buy the plan ahead of time and have it scheduled to be activated at a later time (ie. when you land in the US).

The sim card itself was $20 and the login process on the Roam website was relatively simple. No issues there and easy to use.

One possible issue with Roam is that while the user saves on texting back home, the people you text may pay extra to text you back because Roam assigns you a US number while in the US. I have an iPhone 5C and this wasn't an issue for me because most of my texts were iMessages, not texts, but could be an issue for some.

I'd recommend Roam for anyone looking to save on their cell phone packages while traveling down in the US.
    http://www.ourbigfatwallet.com - Saving, Investing & Frugal Living

Free Groceries! Use the referral code CRCAL-WESJAD at Spud.ca to get $20 off your first grocery order of $50 or more (a 40% savings)

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread Information