User Tag List

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Like Tree12Likes

Thread: Costco now accepting Mastercard

Trading Score
    2 (100%)

I assume this would be the same across all locations...

I visited Costco today and asked how soon they would be accepting Mastercard as payment. I was told "as of today". So I tried my MC, and it worked.

AMEX will no longer be accepted at Costco as of January 1, 2015. I guess we have options for the next few months.
    This thread is currently associated with: Costco, Guess
    he88, ROMEO, Shwa Girl and 1 others like this.
    Jesus saves!
    SWAGBUCKS pays for so many of my housewares... http://www.swagbucks.com/refer/DizzyB

So many ways to earn at Mintvine https://mintvine.com/users/register/...9d2f2fe5be93d3

Canadian Guru
    Trading Score
    61 (100%)

I guess I need to get me a Mastercard! There's a deal on the Air Miles website to get a bonus 2,000 Air Miles when you sign up for an AM Mastercard, but although the offer is still there, it says it expired August 31?

Trading Score
    2 (100%)

2000 Air Miles is pretty sweet, Zonny! That would take me more than a year to accumulate! I wonder if you called them and mentioned it if they'd sill honour it...
    Jesus saves!
    SWAGBUCKS pays for so many of my housewares... http://www.swagbucks.com/refer/DizzyB

So many ways to earn at Mintvine https://mintvine.com/users/register/...9d2f2fe5be93d3

Trading Score
    0 (0%)

Great news! I cancelled my American Express a week before the annual fee was due to kick in. I still have my MBNA CashBack MasterCard (had it since 2008) and love it.
    dizzyb and walkonby like this.

Trading Score
    0 (0%)

I have SDM Master Card so I assume it will work too. I don't have a Costco membership (usually tag along with neighbour) but tempted to get one for myself.

Trading Score
    2 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by toban View Post
    I have SDM Master Card so I assume it will work too. I don't have a Costco membership (usually tag along with neighbour) but tempted to get one for myself.
    I'm thinking the same thing, that your SDM MC should work. My MC is Air Miles and there was no trouble using it (although the "tap" function wasn't working when I tried, I think that will just be a matter of time).

I have a hunch AMEX is going to see a huge drop in their revenue. There are many of us who plan to cancel (or already have) their accounts with them as a result of the news from Costco. There just aren't enough retailers that accept it to make it worthwhile. I've been considering moving away from the Air Miles program anyway, as the rewards are becoming less and less appealing (we redeem for merchandise or attractions)...
    Jesus saves!

Trading Score
    3 (100%)

That's annoying.. the only reason at all that I got an AmEx is because of Costco shopping. I'm not getting rid of it though because occasionally I'll shop at the Disney store and they don't accept Mastercard but they do take AmEx. Unless that's changed now too. It has been awhile since I've shopped there.

Canadian Guru
    Trading Score
    61 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by dizzyb View Post
    I'm thinking the same thing, that your SDM MC should work. My MC is Air Miles and there was no trouble using it (although the "tap" function wasn't working when I tried, I think that will just be a matter of time).

I have a hunch AMEX is going to see a huge drop in their revenue. There are many of us who plan to cancel (or already have) their accounts with them as a result of the news from Costco. There just aren't enough retailers that accept it to make it worthwhile. I've been considering moving away from the Air Miles program anyway, as the rewards are becoming less and less appealing (we redeem for merchandise or attractions)...
    AMEX is totally taking a hit on this, and a big one. With Costco only taking one credit card, there's got to be millions of people like us who got the AMEX primarily for shopping there. I'm dropping it for a MC, which is accepted at Superstore, Target and No Frills, unlike AMEX. I think I'm dumping my Visa too.

Must Coupon, Must Save :) SassyAshley's Avatar
    Trading Score
    64 (100%)

Works better for me as I do not have an Amex but do have MC and even better my MC is a rewards card. Heck Scotiabank just a couple months ago was trying to give me an Amex and there selling pitch was you could use it at Costco, guess they are going to have to find a new marketing strategy. I do not get why more and more places are getting on board with having Amex cards (like Scotiabank) Amex is one of the hardest cards to use no one other than Costco accepts them and 9 out of 10 people I know who have Amex only use it at Costco pretty sure Amex is going to see a huge amount of cancellations, in my family alone they favour MC (for the rewards) but have Amex only to use at Costco and I am pretty sure they will now cancel their Amex cards.

I wish Amex good luck as it does not look good for them at least in the Canadian Market.
    walkonby likes this.
    2022 is going to be my year, the year I find organization in my life and the year I focus on myself,
    follow along as tackle day to day life and whatever else 2021 throws at me:

https://www.instagram.com/thelife.ofsassy

Canadian Guru
    Trading Score
    61 (100%)

I also use my AMEX at Sobeys, Shoppers, the liquor store, most restaurants accept it. The only places I shop in that don't accept it are Target and Superstore. I have an Air Miles AMEX, will be replacing it with an Air Miles MC.

Trading Score
    0 (0%)

I'm planning on getting the new Capital One Costco Mastercard when it comes out. I also have the Scotiabank Momentum Visa Infinite card that pays 4% cash back on gas and groceries. By the end of this year I will have earned almost $700 in cash back just on that card alone
    Zonny likes this.
    http://www.ourbigfatwallet.com - Saving, Investing & Frugal Living

Free Groceries! Use the referral code CRCAL-WESJAD at Spud.ca to get $20 off your first grocery order of $50 or more (a 40% savings)

Trading Score
    7 (100%)

Yes, it's the Capital One Master Card, but I tried President's Choice Master Card today and it worked!
    Official start date is October, but the Costco employee told me it is already working
    YMMV
    i_forget likes this.

Canadian Guru
    Trading Score
    61 (100%)

Yes, can't see that they would limit to one MC card carrier. They never did with AMEX.
    Shwa Girl likes this.

Trading Score
    7 (100%)

The Costco gas stations will also take MasterCard, according to the Costco customer service guy. Any MasterCard
    YMMV

Trading Score
    7 (100%)

The Costco gas stations will also take MasterCard, according to the Costco customer service guy. Any MasterCard
    YMMV

No changes shopping online at costco.ca since they already accepted Visa and MasterCard

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information