User Tag List

Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5 6 LastLast
Like Tree83Likes

Thread: Microsoft Canada : $ 49 - Unlocked Smart Phone Windows 8.1 Phone

Smart Canuck
    Trading Score
    13 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by redhotdeal.in View Post
    The product has been delivered ..got it 3-4 days back.

I ordered on Decembet 1 st , but my credit card has still not been charged .

Anyone else , whose credit card is yet to be charged ?
    Congrats on your free phone. (just kidding!)
    They haven't bill Paypal for my phone yet. Must have sold millions of these and behind with billing.
    redhotdeal.in likes this.

Smart Canuck
    Trading Score
    13 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by IthinkIcan View Post
    Missed the sale, hope it comes back for BoxingDay.....
    Yeah, if it's back I'll order another 1 for my oldest sister.

It's very confusing for me (my first smartphone) and it's Windows 8.1 so it's double hate.

They want me to provide microsoft account, which is the same as my PC and email log in. Is there a way to get around this? I don't want my phone to have anything to do with my PC or email. Feels like big brother watching me.
    Last edited by Decaf; Mon, Dec 15th, 2014 at 07:51 PM.
    ROMEO likes this.

Canadian Genius
    Trading Score
    51 (100%)

Last edited by lecale; Sat, Jan 17th, 2015 at 11:11 AM.
    ROMEO likes this.

Smart Canuck
    Trading Score
    13 (100%)

Paypal did sent me a payment authorization request but the transaction have not complete yet. MS's accounting department is really falling behind.
    ROMEO likes this.

Canadian Genius
    Trading Score
    51 (100%)

Last edited by lecale; Sat, Jan 17th, 2015 at 11:10 AM.
    ROMEO likes this.

Smart Canuck
    Trading Score
    13 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by lecale View Post
    no it has to do with whether your PayPal account is "Verified", and credit-card-backed, and to a small degree which bank you use and how long it takes them to process a payment request. If you just have a basic PayPal setup, it can take a long time (they have 30 days to capture (complete) the payment)
    Nope, mine is always charged right away unless the merchant specified payment to be collect at a later date (when item actually shipped, for example). Beyond the Rack would collect payment the moment I placed the order (eventhough they ship their order 2-3 weeks later). Not really a Paypal issue, more like a MS issue. Will give them a call next week if they haven't bill Paypal.

PS. Do you like the phone? I don't think I need a tablet now that I have a smartphone.
    Last edited by Decaf; Mon, Dec 15th, 2014 at 10:02 PM.
    ROMEO and Anna Michele like this.

Canadian Genius
    Trading Score
    51 (100%)

ROMEO and Decaf like this.

Trading Score
    228 (100%)

I'm bummed I missed this as I'm rrlf a cheap unlocked phone.

Just curious, Microsoft USA has a Nokia Lumia 520 on for $29.00. It is AT&T but no contract. Would there be any problems using it in Canada? I don't really get how it's AT&T - does that mean it can only be connected with an AT&T contract? Is that something to do with the sim card? I actually want it for using on free wireless internet so I don't plan on paying anyone for cell phone service. Thanks for any help

Here is the american website where the smart phone is: http://www.microsoftstore.com/store/...d_PriceGrabber
    ROMEO likes this.
    Join Beyond the Rack here and get a $10 credit!

Smart Canuck
    Trading Score
    13 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by BC Gal View Post

Just curious, Microsoft USA has a Nokia Lumia 520 on for $29.00. It is AT&T but no contract. Would there be any problems using it in Canada? I don't really get how it's AT&T - does that mean it can only be connected with an AT&T contract? Is that something to do with the sim card? I actually want it for using on free wireless internet so I don't plan on paying anyone for cell phone service. Thanks for any help

Here is the american website where the smart phone is: http://www.microsoftstore.com/store/...d_PriceGrabber
    TBH I wouldn't purchase it from US website, you maybe hit with custom fee duty taxes. I am sure it will go on sale again during boxing day. I also think other company will follow suit with the unlock phones...you may even have more choices than now.
    ROMEO and BC Gal like this.

Canadian Genius
    Trading Score
    51 (100%)

Smart Canuck
    Trading Score
    0 (0%)

If you ONLY plan to use it on Wifi, you'd be fine. But if it says it's for a specific carrier (in this case AT&T) then yes, you can ONLY use it as a phone on that carrier. (You would not be able to use it for text messaging, nor phone calls -- and you would not be able to use it on any carrier in Canada the way it was sold to you.)

IMHO I wouldnt waste my money on a Windows Smartphone only for use on Wifi. But to each their own.

Trading Score
    228 (100%)

Thanks for the responses, much appreciated

Quote Originally Posted by bhlombardy View Post
    IMHO I wouldnt waste my money on a Windows Smartphone only for use on Wifi. But to each their own.
    So for something to carry around you would go with a tablet or ? I want a camera, something to upload receipts to checkout51, price matching, that kind of thing. I might want at some point to use it as a phone, but right now I don`t have the extra money for a monthly cost.
    ROMEO likes this.

Smart Canuck
    Trading Score
    0 (0%)

Thanks for the responses, much appreciated

So for something to carry around you would go with a tablet or ? I want a camera, something to upload receipts to checkout51, price matching, that kind of thing. I might want at some point to use it as a phone, but right now I don`t have the extra money for a monthly cost.

I would definitely recommend a small tablet... Samsung Galaxy Tab3 or Tab4... in the 7-inch line would be a great starter.
    They have cameras (although no flash) but would serve you great for taking basic photos AND uploading to Checkout51.

As well you'd be far better off for Apps availability and support on an Android tablet, than you would a Windows phone. Surfing the web and checking emails are at lot more robust on a tablet... and you can often get the Samsung 7-inches in the range of $99-$149 when they're on sale. (If you can wait until Boxing Day, I'd be willing to bet that will be the price range)

There's an Asus MeMO 7-inch tablet at FutureShop for $99 currently (until tomorrow) as well, if that interests you at all:

CaNewbie
    Trading Score
    0 (0%)

Quote Originally Posted by Decaf View Post
    Congrats on your free phone. (just kidding!)
    They haven't bill Paypal for my phone yet. Must have sold millions of these and behind with billing.
    Still , no charge on my CC ..after almost 18 days !

They initially just put an authorized charge on my CC, kind of like a pending charge ..it was never posted though ..and after 5 days the authorization/pending charge disappeared , without being actually posted.

The authorization is just like a simple hold which they put on your CC to make sure you have enough funds ..same thing happens when you go to a gas station to fill gas ..they put a hold for about $ 100 bucks or so, when you dip your card at the pump , even though you are putting less gas in your car say $ 50 . The hold disappears after a day or so or a few hours , and the actual bill gets posted.
    Decaf likes this.

Smart Canuck
    Trading Score
    13 (100%)

Oh well, if MS wants to take their time to collect payment then it's fine with me...I really dread seeing all my cc bills...perhaps putting the charge through next month is better for me.
    redhotdeal.in likes this.

Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5 6 LastLast

Thread Information