User Tag List

Page 2 of 57 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 12 52 ... LastLast
Like Tree5611Likes

Thread: Thankful for Savings - October 2014 Frugal chatter thread

Canadian Genius LuvToUseCoupons's Avatar
    Trading Score
    311 (100%)

Hi All,
    Just wanted to wish everyone a happy and frugal October/Thanksgiving.
    Have a great day all .
    Name:  oct.jpg
Views: 218
Size:  65.7 KB

Contradiction in progress sweet sparrow's Avatar
    Trading Score
    46 (100%)

Nancy, great idea on the cleaning! However, I'm going to sit this one out as all three of us are really sick with whatever it was LO brought home from daycare. We've been horribly sick ever since she started going. I've half a mind to become a SAHM just to restore some sanity in our lives. The budget wouldn't be too happy with that though.

DH is trying to fix our bathroom faucet. Some part corroded or broke and he said after looking it up that it was a European faucet and the only place you can buy replacement parts is a store that specializes in European faucets or online. I'm going to see what I can find. I'm sure Canadian Tire carries this brand and it has a CSA stamp on it so it must be available in Canada. No way does our house have anything that fancy! Just as soon as I get my voice back, I'll call....

Poor LO has lost her voice too. If you've ever heard a baby try to cry out and can't, it sounds even worse than when she's screaming.

Quote Originally Posted by lizzie bargain View Post
    is it just my imagination or is high school harder than back when we went? It starts in Grade 10 here and good grief DD was asking us about poetic terms DH and I have never even heard of despite having both graduated from university back in the good old days-and this is only Grade 10-good grief. Thank goodness my DH is good at Math and can help with some of those questions and I can help edit some of the English work-not that we do her homework but it is sure nice to give your kids a little help as needed because with 40 kids in the class the teacher sure doesn't have a lot of time for questions!
    I'm not looking forward to those days! I don't think high school is necessarily harder, but the teaching methods and curriculum have changed. My friend who is teaching high school said that her class got all new Apple IMacs. The most advanced electronic thing I had might have been a Sony Walkman (hand me down from my sister) and a solar powered basic calculator! Anyone remember those rolling trackballs they had on computers decades ago?

Trading Score
    12 (100%)

^faucet repairs-sigh, I hear you sweetsparrow. Even so called North American faucets like to spit their seat valves/washers/o-rings/ball valves within a year's time. Try an independent plumbing store for parts if CT, Home Depot or Home Hardware parts cannot help.

We have a toilet tank with pressurized unit in it. When the cartridge fails (usually 3-5 yrs later), there is only one place to get its replacement-the store that sold the unit in Kitchener (not in Hamilton area). I'd stock up on spare parts if they are specific on your faucet or maybe chat with DH about putting in a simpler one?

Cleaning house & men-when I say to the guys to clean up after themselves, it's like wishing them to get sick (seems to be the effect, given the looks or comments in reply). I notice my sibling will spend 2-3h cleaning/detailing a car, so maybe the operative phrase is: "How about detailing your room? It's looking like it has a breakdown." Wish he'd box up all his spare car parts from various makes, fluids, sponges and either take them to the haz waste or fob them onto another DIY car friend.
    Last edited by Ciel; Wed, Oct 1st, 2014 at 01:45 PM.
    2021-Bring on the sunshine, sweets & online shopping.

One Awesome Domestic Diva MrsSunshine's Avatar
    Trading Score
    88 (100%)

worked out a grocery list. basics plus a few extras.
    i've been lucky enough to score some wood from a local tree downed in our area.
    wait til u see what i have planned.
    Be Strong
    Be True
    Be You.
    Simple as that!

Canadian Guru
    Trading Score
    54 (100%)

You have really motivated me! I wrote out a list on the action plan on the kitchen. The basis, emptying every space, clean it and put stuff where it makes the most sense. And the stuff not needed goes out or on the neatly labeled kitchen shelf in basement. Other things on my list include moving fridge and stove out and washing floors, vacuuming the vents on fridge too. Sand the putty on ceiling that filled holes (had my honey replace the light fixtures last year). I also want to rip the cupboard above my stove out and replace the vent thingy (it doesn't work) and the final step when all is done, wash the cupboards and then replace the handles ( I bought them last year but wanted to clean etc 1st) So excited to get started on this I will do at least one drawer tonight before Survivor

Canadian Guru
    Trading Score
    54 (100%)

MOEN stands behind their facets for life. Free parts are available at RONA. Was happy to find that out when my tub facet was leaking last year. Had to replace the seal again about 10 mths later.

Trading Score
    46 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by Frugalbigmama View Post
    MOEN stands behind their facets for life. Free parts are available at RONA. Was happy to find that out when my tub facet was leaking last year. Had to replace the seal again about 10 mths later.
    We're going through them for our kitchen faucet cartridge. I have to give them another call as it's been two weeks and they told me they would be sending out a part. Before they send it, they were going to send me a tracking email and I've got nothing yet. Another company to call when I get my voice back.

Price Pfister is another company that stands behind their products. Our bathroom faucet is a Danze so I'll see what they say.

Trading Score
    17 (100%)

Wow, you ladies are organized! I still haven't finished the filing challenge (still have a box to sort through, but since it's been sitting here since last year, it can't be that important, right? ) or putting my laundry closet back together. Life keeps getting in the way, at least these days I've got some of my energy back.

Not sure if the mason jar would work for me, since the cat refuses to do chores (is it a male thing? ) and the dog needs to be supervised or she'll do things her way, so it all falls on me anyway. And I do have a bad habit of leaving things until they absolutely have to be done (as in company is on its way).

As for the rubbing alcohol tip, I love the stuff, use it for lots of things. A mix of 1 part rubbing alcohol to 1 part vinegar is great for clearing up ear infections (I use it for me and the brats as a preventative & none of us have had any issues for ages - when I got Lily dog she had really bad ear infections and I used to get bad infections as a kid). I also use it to get out ground-in dirt from the wheels of my little buggy I use for shopping. The only thing that can cause issues is that I've found it will slightly change the colour of laminate flooring, so be careful with that. It's also a great sanitizer if you're working with chicken. Oh, and I've never had to deal with this issue (thankfully!) but if a 4-legged one pees either on hardwood or on a mattress (places that are hard to clean), soak the area with lots & lots of rubbing alcohol and let dry. Repeat a few times. It neutralizes the smell and breaks down the icky stuff. I've had friends who've successfully tried this trick one with a naughty kitten who thought the bed made a good litter box and one with a puppy who was still learning the ropes of living inside.

Oh & a question about price matching and coupons. Anyone having any problems lately? My normally coupon-happy NF decided today that I couldn't use the Quaker coupon and price match, cause that would be too many offers given the PC Points program. I didn't push the issue and got a few of the oats at the lower price and didn't use the coupon, but was thoroughly confused, since there was no problem with coupons last week and I don't think there was any points offer.

For a smile, see our vids: http://www.youtube.com/lilyquincy

Trading Score
    46 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by Ciel View Post
    ^faucet repairs-sigh, I hear you sweetsparrow. Even so called North American faucets like to spit their seat valves/washers/o-rings/ball valves within a year's time. Try an independent plumbing store for parts if CT, Home Depot or Home Hardware parts cannot help.

We have a toilet tank with pressurized unit in it. When the cartridge fails (usually 3-5 yrs later), there is only one place to get its replacement-the store that sold the unit in Kitchener (not in Hamilton area). I'd stock up on spare parts if they are specific on your faucet or maybe chat with DH about putting in a simpler one?
    We tried Rona, and there was nothing except for one or two standard models, not what we needed. This all started when the sink became plugged. He's done it many times before. This time the part was impossible to move, and when he took the cap off, that's when he noticed the break. DH isn't the handiest guy, so when something needs to get fixed, I half expect it to be worse than when he started. But, bless his heart, he tries.

Trading Score
    17 (100%)

wrt Moen, we were lucky enough to get them as the standard parts in the condo. A few years back, a few folks were having problems with leaky taps, so it was suggested the cartridges might need replacing. I went to Home Depot and asked how I would go about getting cartridges and they simply handed me new ones - 2 sizes, one for the kitchen sink, one for the bathroom.

Canadian Guru
    Trading Score
    54 (100%)

Well dinner is done just have to wash up a few dishes. Can't find my cell phone so back to the office I go. I'm hoping it's sitting on my desk. Grrrrrr.

Trading Score
    591 (100%)

I just wanted to wish eveyone happy October where did the year go just a few months till x-mass I finally got my filling cabinet organized .This week had the furnace guy in for my furnace and the worse news air exchange is cracked so no furnace.I guess i will have to buy a new ones to the tune of $5,000 plus tax,i swear it doesn't rain it pours some days.You can't seem to get ahead 3 steps forward and 5 steps back.Now my TV doesn't work what's next,they everything comes in threes lol.Off to bed to read goodnight
    http://forum.smartcanucks.ca/411352-...-lists-canada/

Please use my ​Orange key when you open a Tangerine account 41140291S1

Trading Score
    2 (100%)

Oh no you and me! Thats gotta be a tad sttessful

Trading Score
    17 (100%)

Good morning, everyone.

I've got lunch plans today with a septagenarian who's had 3 hip replacements and can still run circles around me (seriously, this gal is never home, does tons of volunteer work, and has energy to burn!). Hope I can keep up. Wish me luck.

Foolishly decided to cook up a storm yesterday, on the plus side I have 8 meals in my freezer ready to go on days I don't feel like cooking. Now I just have to finish cleaning the kitchen before company comes.

Hope everyone has a wonderful day.
    Natalka, Crochetlady, Ciel and 6 others like this.

Trading Score
    29 (100%)

Andi, it's just so smart to do freezer meals, I know others here do that as well.
    Don't know why I've never done it - well, this is the first year that I've frozen borscht, so that's a start!

Hope everyone has a great day!

Page 2 of 57 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 12 52 ... LastLast

Thread Information