User Tag List

Page 34 of 57 FirstFirst ... 24 32 33 34 35 36 44 ... LastLast
Like Tree5611Likes

Thread: Thankful for Savings - October 2014 Frugal chatter thread

Trading Score
    12 (100%)

Don't know how you have been juggling different schools/grades, Angela273! You need a chore-free night before the wedding just to savour the efforts to date!
    Jasperandchar-ask chef Logan to serve up supper for a night or two until you are feeling yourself again. You've done a lot of asking of your body and well, it wants recovery.
    Coupongirl, the fact you have someone remembering to call you means that she knows you like the contact and you both have time to be with each other.
    Ashley-wish colleagues at work would give you some praise for efforts. Has the date for other site training been arranged-don't hesitate to ask for funds to cover lodging/meals/gas? Agree with others if your Mom can help with daily common tasks but her room is her biz. Think she's taking out work frustrations on you-don't know if she can go see an employment counsellor to figure out if there is something in retail she'd rather be doing. Great that you got your walker out-it's ok to use package food while you focus on your health and do only what's needed at home sometimes as you need downtime from work too; once you get a new routine going, you can slot in baking/scratch cooking now and then. Yes, you have to let your hair down. Some nights will be leftover/pantry surprise dinners-simple and each can fend for self.

It's ok for us to have days bereft of chores. I notice menfolk at home never hesitate to act like there's nothing pressing in on their leisure time. Sometimes I tell Mom to end what she is doing because she's still doing something but she's drooping. Not like the guys think to do dishes, or clean out fridge or take out garbage...

Seems roasted cauliflower is a thing! Even Toronto Life mentioned it in a resto review. Thanks to all with tips on veggie prep. Have to discover what this will taste like!

Went to Home Depot, Target and HomeSense to browse (lovely things in stores-but no money!) yesterday. Tried coats at Ricki's and admired a purple number at Addition Elle (I'm tall and sometimes AE has something I can wear in 1X). Found a contest ending tonight for Ricki's Coat a Day giveaway so entered. Have to think of warm hat-chilly air was nice during walks but have a throat tickle.
    2021-Bring on the sunshine, sweets & online shopping.

Canadian Guru
    Trading Score
    54 (100%)

Good morning. Haven't had much of a relaxing weekend being in the arena for 3 days. My wonderful mother delivered a cooked dinner for us last night since we were home late from hockey. She made prime rib, potatoes, broccoli and veggies and dip! WOW! And she is doing my laundry since my washing machine is broken. Will have to go shopping on the weekend. Thinking I just want a new one and not waste money on a service call etc. Will decide this week.

Canadian Guru
    Trading Score
    54 (100%)

Left the house with the kitchen totally clean! DS has a hockey game tonight so off I am again. Should post a bunch of stuff for sale this evening before heading to the arena. Need to get the stuff out the door.
    Andit, Crochetlady, Ciel and 3 others like this.

Trading Score
    17 (100%)

Good morning, everyone.

What a cold wet yucky day we're having!

Good thing Lily is sulking in her bed (it's cold & raining here, she HATES getting her feet wet) or she'd be in the path of the psycho cat tearing around the condo. A minute ago, Quincy cat skidded in the front hallway and crashed into the front door (only thing injured was his dignity), so now he's sulking in his box. Can't find anything this entertaining on cable.

As for my friend, J is ok, but a little too calm (shock, I think). J's brother apparently died of cancer. He'd never had any health issues, the first sign was just over 2 weeks ago, he felt a bit off and had a little shortness of breath. The doctor first thought he had pneumonia and when the antibiotics didn't have any effect, they checked for TB. By the time they realized it was cancer, it was too late to do anything (there were tumours on his kidney, and throughout his lungs). The only comfort (for lack of a better word) is that he didn't suffer too much pain.

I'll be awol again for a few days, not sure when yet. Going to stay with my Mom (brats will be happy) and go to the visitation & funeral from there (our friend lives near my Mom, so easier for all).

I had planned on going out & running errands today, but I really don't feel like getting wet (Lily dog is rubbing off on me), so domestic chores it is. Blech.

Hope everyone has a wonderful day.

For a smile, see our vids: http://www.youtube.com/lilyquincy

Trading Score
    17 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by SassyAshley View Post
    I am doing all of the cleaning and trying to keep up with everything but now she is all over me about the fact that I have no social life. When and where am I supposed to find time to go out not to mention she knows I have no friends and going out alone not really fun and as for dating yeah let's not go there.
    I've met people through all sorts of different avenues. The friends I was supposed to have lunch with yesterday, I met them on a local forum discussing dogs (joined it 10ish years ago when I first got Lily dog) and one person suggested meeting at a restaurant to put a face to a name. Next thing you know, 10 yrs pass by and a core group of us are getting together regularly to chat about religion, politics, health, tv, everything under the sun. Oh & dogs.

Another group of friends I get together with weekly, I met them when one gal held a free workshop in my building on making jewelry. Every Monday we get together to make pretty baubles, talk about all sorts of things, and eat. How else can we keep our strength up if we're not snacking?

I've met friends through classes I've taken, volunteering, places I've worked, the brats I live with (there are very few people who don't walk up to an oddball with a cat on a leash ), the internet. Lots of places to meet folks. Oh & I'm not much of an extrovert, I'm fairly shy (less so as I get older).

Do you have any clubs? Night school courses (not necessarily term classes, but lectures as well)? How about a Sunday afternoon cooking class (my local Loblaws offers these)? Somewhere you can volunteer? Some places don't need long term commitment, a day or 2 a month works for them. Or doing something online, then a party at the end of the year to meet other volunteers. What about your neighbours? Any of them friendly? And age isn't a factor - I have friends who range from 20 to 77 (I'm 46).

And these are also places to potentially meet a significant other. I know one couple who met through a gardening club in their neighbourhood. Another friend met her bf while walking her dog (she actually met his mother, struck up a friendship and when her son came over for a visit, bingo). Another friend met her DH while shopping for books - she was a regular in the store, the owner was on the phone with his son, and when she went to pay, he handed her the phone and said "I won't let you buy this book unless you go out with my son" (they've been married nearly 20 yrs). One classmate of mine went to a club, a boy spilled a drink on her, 27 yrs later they're still happily married. A gal I know took in a boarder to help pay her mortgage - a year later I got an invite to the wedding. I met one bf through work (not the best idea), another through volunteering (he was the volunteer co-ordinator). In other words, lots of places to meet someone special.

For a smile, see our vids: http://www.youtube.com/lilyquincy

Canadian Guru
    Trading Score
    54 (100%)

AHHHH Why are teens so hard to shop for? I am so close to being done for my youngest but only have a few stocking stuffers for my oldest. Besides him asking for an Iphone everyday I have no idea. (besides $5000 amps etc) Santa can't bring Gift cards

Trading Score
    288 (100%)

Angela congrats on your bookings for work!!!
    2019 is the year that we continue to save before we buy!!!

Trading Score
    288 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by Frugalbigmama View Post
    AHHHH Why are teens so hard to shop for? I am so close to being done for my youngest but only have a few stocking stuffers for my oldest. Besides him asking for an Iphone everyday I have no idea. (besides $5000 amps etc) Santa can't bring Gift cards
    Santa has been leaving xbox live cards in the stockings here for years and xbox points too

Trading Score
    288 (100%)

Oh Ashley I honestly feel for you, I don't live with my parents and couldn't for the life of me. I know you are trying to get as much done as possible but breath and like the others said your mom can take care of her room and whatever else chores you have to do. You are going to burn yourself out, your mum's a big girl she maybe she just needs to put on her big girl panties (lol) but seriously think of it from another perspective or point of you. If someone does things for you over and over yes you should be grateful but after a while it's expected. I tell my kids over and over the things they need to do as simple as putting the cereal back where it belongs, picking up their socks they leave in the leaving room, if you add all that time up after a week my goodness it really does add up.

Canadian Guru
    Trading Score
    54 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by jasperandchar View Post
    Santa has been leaving xbox live cards in the stockings here for years and xbox points too
    Same here for stockings but need something to wrap

Contradiction in progress sweet sparrow's Avatar
    Trading Score
    46 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by jasperandchar View Post
    Well my trailer is SOLD...yippee...so we are going to take that $ and replace our back door, so happy about that.
    That's terrific! We also need to replace some of our doors and windows. Our neighbour talked us out of it because he made us second guess whether we were getting them done because we wanted new ones or if we could just add a little insulation. Yesterday, condensation was running down the one window like a stream, and our one side door does not fit the frame, letting in a lot of cold air. Still, we're hesitant because getting them fixed would cost several thousands. Maybe we'll get it fixed as our anniversary/Christmas gift...it's just so expensive.

Quote Originally Posted by SassyAshley View Post
    I am doing all of the cleaning and trying to keep up with everything but now she is all over me about the fact that I have no social life. When and where am I supposed to find time to go out not to mention she knows I have no friends and going out alone not really fun and as for dating yeah let's not go there. The closest I got to a date was my friend who last I heard was still in medically induced coma and am kind of feeling lately like I did not see how special he was until he might be gone. Don't get me wrong I wanted to go out with him before but I was worried he would be like the others and change his mind and I did not see how special we really was. But than again both of us thought we had time (he wanted to take it slow as much as I did) but now time is standing still for him and I am hoping and praying to still have a chance once he wakes up.
    Ashley, you know if you were physically close to any of us, we'd all hang out with you. You're a great person, sound like a lot of fun, and we all have wanting to be frugal in common. I'm waiting to hear you tell us a While You Were Sleeping sort of story, working out either one way or the other. I'm such a sucker for romantic comedies. We're rooting for you to be happy. If things didn't happen with your friend before, you probably weren't ready. Try not to overthink things, which is so easy when you're alone. Things have a way of working themselves out, just not at the exact time we expect.

Contradiction in progress sweet sparrow's Avatar
    Trading Score
    46 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by Frugalbigmama View Post
    AHHHH Why are teens so hard to shop for?
    Nine teens to buy for here, one elementary age, two toddlers; twelve in total. Sigh. No idea what any of them would want. Oh yes, there's our LO too. Did I mention I hated that the gift exchange is now gone? Plus two sets of parents.

Trading Score
    0 (0%)

Went to Home Depot, Target and HomeSense to browse (lovely things in stores-but no money!)
    Thanks for the the laugh, Ciel!....Who doesn't know how that feels?

Mastermind
    Trading Score
    277 (100%)

sweetsparrow is right -would love to have coffee(in my case tea) with any of us here
    and like andit I have friends of all ages 36.49,55,70 and I am 55-and I cant totally relate to teenagers (when i worked many came and talked to me )I can relate to teens cause raised 2-oh and I am young at heart
    -went with daughter-in-law to allergist to see if "ashlyn"was allergic to her medication (from a few weeks back )nope she has no allergies
    -now just resting getting thru this cold just had my homemade garllc chicken soup and homemade bran /cranberry muffins

Trading Score
    288 (100%)

Thought I would share with my frugal friends, this was originally posted on the blog page

P&G Sampler

https://www.mybrandsampler.ca/?cp=2

Page 34 of 57 FirstFirst ... 24 32 33 34 35 36 44 ... LastLast

Thread Information