User Tag List

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
Like Tree30Likes

Thread: Switching to cell only, but keeping landline for basic only?

Canadian Guru
    Trading Score
    46 (100%)

Try Teksavvy , Distributel , Acanac for internet and home phone. Teksavvy has regular landline phone if you want , not just VOIP internet phone.

Wind Mobile and Public Mobile for cell phone..if you have them in your area.

Public Mobile is now Telus owned.

Stay away from Bell and Rogers as much as you can, nothing but trouble.

Canadian Guru
    Trading Score
    46 (100%)

Why do you have Voice Mail for landline ?

Just use plain old fashioned free answering machine, won't help you if you are on the phone talking, but still worth it, when someone calls you, when you are not home.
    kellyanna_99 likes this.

Smart Canuck
    Trading Score
    216 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by tjthemanto View Post
    Why do you have Voice Mail for landline ?

Just use plain old fashioned free answering machine, won't help you if you are on the phone talking, but still worth it, when someone calls you, when you are not home.
    I know, that is why I plan to ditch the voice mail! I hate call answer or whatever it is called, when you get beeped when one the phone!

I know what I plan to do with my cell now, I've researched that this week, and am thinking on it for a few days. Internet/phone is next weeks' project. I have a day off to do some calls, and do the I'm leaving you bell call , if I make a deicison next week. I'm guessing the hood old high pressure sales will come out then, and I might need some time to make sure they do it, and not leave me on hold indefinitely.

CaNewbie
    Trading Score
    0 (0%)

Trading Score
    0 (0%)

I abandoned landlines in 1998 and have used cellular service since....without any problems.

CaNewbie
    Trading Score
    0 (0%)

Please be aware that Tek Savvy also comes with problems.
    I was going to join them but didn't, for these very reasons and these are complaints i hear over and over.
    I am not sure IF i can type a competitor here for forums but in the R...F.....D.... forums are some long standing 800 page threads for ongoing deals for Rogers, Bell, etc and of course if you read them enough you hear all the complains with Tek Savvy for so many people Leave rogers, etc but find they aren't happy and come back.

1) Tekk Savvy apparently claims to have unlimited internet but i gather that this is not necessarily true.
    If you are a high user, you will be required to use it between 2am - 6am or some such hours through the night.

(NOT sure if that would mean a mother and her kids OR people that are downloading tons of huge blue ray movie files though)

2) More importantly Tek Savvy was apparently great when they first began for they were dealing with geeks who never needed any help.
    Now they have Mr General Public there, that tech support apparently stinks.
    But worse, because they are essentially tied into Rogers and/or Bell in that they buy or rent the cable lines from them, IF you have a technical problem that needs fixing, you won't get it fixed in a day or two as you would with Rogers, but can take at up to 3 weeks.

I suspect Rogers puts them in this position in order not to lose too many customers to them.
    Reading my post alone should not convince you though.
    I am not sure if anyone has told you what i have in this thread but if not, go browse the *** forums and you will see mention of it time and time again.

It sounds to me as if they have become a victim of their own success, not to mention that they are likely hampered by the Big 3.......
    Last edited by Shelagh D Broughton; Thu, Oct 16th, 2014 at 09:16 PM.

CaLoonie
    Trading Score
    0 (0%)

I live alone so my situation is a little different.

I have never used a landline, I have had a cell since 1997, currently my plan costs me $71 a month (Rogers taxes in) and I have unlimited everything nationwide, no roaming, 6BG data, with 100 US minutes.

I use Start communications for internet, I have an older plan that costs me $51 a month (including modem rental) and it is unlimited.

I use Netflix, adjust my DNS accordingly and watch the various worldwide options for a real mix of watching options. I also stream from my computer or iPad to TV to watch tons of current TV shows that are available online on the various channels websites. Netflix is $8 bucks.

I have never had an issue with not having a landline. Even in the famous power outage it wasn't an issue. I lived downtown in a small city, and there was public phones, not to mention neighbours with landlines and local businesses. If I was a country dweller I might feel differently, but frankly in my experience lots of people are without landline service more frequently than I am without cell service with ice storms, big snow storms and other harsh weather.

I think nowadays there are so many cheap options, facetime, skype, magic jack, not traditional internet providers, non-traditional cable, it's crazy to spend hundreds of dollars on those bills. Even myself, I could lower my Start bill by 10 as I don't really need unlimited and I could lower my Rogers by about $20 by canceling my voicemail, US minutes and getting a smaller data plan. I keep them only because my plan is so grandfathered if I ever needed those options again they would be a lot more expensive.

For me my total is about $130 a month and I never feel like I am missing out. I actually feel like I have a more enjoyable TV/Movie watching experience because no commercials, ever. It's a lot faster and easier to find something to watch and there is no such thing as a TV schedule, I watch exactly what I want regardless of what day or time it is.

Edited to add: I also really enjoy the fact that I have never had a phone number in the phone book. I get almost no sales calls. Some people like being in the phone book, I kinda prefer my privacy. I also have had the same e-mail since 1996 - so if a friend who has lost touch is trying to find me, they just shoot me an e-mail.
    Last edited by lindseyc; Fri, Oct 17th, 2014 at 09:42 AM.

Trading Score
    0 (0%)

Just look around for better company and plans. Maybe try internet phone like magic jack, or italk BB for your landline or even fido offers homeline for $10 or something.
    Free $175 CASH BONUS open Tangerine bank account $50=chequing, $25=savings, $100=savings program use 36121543S1as the'orange key' CAll1-888-826-4374 refer family/friends,$50 to you + $175 to them Earn up to $3,250 Visithttp://www.tangerine.ca/en/referafriend/index.html

Smart Canuck
    Trading Score
    216 (100%)

I'm not going with VoIP, not impressed with them, and I always like to have one traditional old corded phone in the house for power outages, server issues, etc. There are issues with 911 with VOIP as well.

I've pretty much decided on a local service that does unlimited phone and internet for $60.

Trading Score
    0 (0%)

I tried Ooma and the call quality was very high but there was always a 1-2 second delay when speaking. I called them to ask about this and the only suggestion they had was to plug the unit directly into the modem which essentially meant no one else in the home could use the internet since we use a wifi modem. It has mixed reviews on Costco.ca and I wrote up my own review on my site. The unit itself sells for around $100 and completely replaces a land line
    http://www.ourbigfatwallet.com - Saving, Investing & Frugal Living

Free Groceries! Use the referral code CRCAL-WESJAD at Spud.ca to get $20 off your first grocery order of $50 or more (a 40% savings)

Canadian Guru
    Trading Score
    46 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by kellyanna_99 View Post
    I'm not going with VoIP, not impressed with them, and I always like to have one traditional old corded phone in the house for power outages, server issues, etc. There are issues with 911 with VOIP as well.

I've pretty much decided on a local service that does unlimited phone and internet for $60.
    My parents also have a landline mostly for the 911 things . Although VOIP does have a variation of the 911. But they don't want to take chances and want to keep the traditional 911.

For power outages , you can have a UPS ..uninterruptible power supply..with VOIP ..so phone keeps on working even without electricity during power outages.
    kellyanna_99 likes this.

Smart Canuck
    Trading Score
    216 (100%)

I see what you are saying, but I think the simpler option sometimes is best. One phone with a cord, not electrical, will not go out in a power outage. No worries about batteries, etc. Also, you're not worried about server issues, etc, which was an issue when I did VOip briefly in the past.

CaToonie
    Trading Score
    0 (0%)

Fido offers home phone for$10month free long distance canada wide for their customers. Works great and I have the same phone number that ihad with bell.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread Information