User Tag List

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Like Tree30Likes

Thread: Switching to cell only, but keeping landline for basic only?

Smart Canuck
    Trading Score
    216 (100%)

My bell bill is OUTRAGEOUS. And it keeps getting worse. And I don't like that it seems to be negative discounts which I mean, they only give if you call in, and they are time limited.

SPeaking with family today at Thanksgiving, we were talking about how cheap their virgin plan is for an iphone. I have a 5 year old flip phone, which is dying. I have the base plan, but I am getting more and more calls and texts on it, so I should switch it over. More of my calls seem to be cell phone, especially work related and with the kids school. Looks to be about $40 a month (I would use the internet only when wi-fi at home, or in locations with it).
    I was
    My internet usuage at home is high. There are two computer, netflix and a tablet. I have 5 kids, so we have a lot of stuff going on here online for school and entertainment. Even with unlimited usuage, it seems to be not unlimited. i was thinking of going with teksavy for their 300 GB plan which is $32/month.

However, not having a landline makes me a bit nervous. But, I would like to get a stripped down landline service, no voicemail, etc, for 911 use, power outages (remember the one 11 years ago). And with 5 kids, I would like a local line at home for them to use. I was looking at getting a the $30 basic package from bell, as I think that is the cheapest. I am not sure if there is another provider, I don't want VOip. No long distance, etc. Any long distance I would use my cell. I Have an older corded phone, but was thinknig of picking up just an old style answering machine, or buying a phone system with a cordless or two, a base corded with answering machine, somethinh like this, http://www.factorydirect.ca/Search.aspx, for just the most basic items.

My last few bell bills are in the $200-$300 range.We just have internet and phone. This is INSANE. It seems something is always going up. When I call to ask for an explanation, it just doesn't make sense to me. We are supposed to have unlimited, but somehow the cost is crazy! My cell is always over now, so either I switch plans or phones. I was at $40-$50/month, but this is now running $80-$90 a amonth . $300-$400 a month for phones and internet. Clearly, I am doing this wrong !

If I could do home, cell and internet for about a $100/$120, I would be pleased, which looks like I could do with this.

Anyone else do it? Any other alternatives to the old standard landline, that isn't bell? I do not want VOip. I've had issues with it in the past, and have heard bad issues about it from other people.

Thanks!
    This thread is currently associated with: Apple, Bell, Virgin Mobile
    ROMEO and Shwa Girl like this.

Trading Score
    26 (100%)

I just got rid of Bell - had bills over $220 a month for tv/internet/home phone. One day my bill increased from $179 - been paying that for 2 years and went to $242 - they gave me reasons which made no sense. I got them to chop it down- threaten to leave and got down to $189. Finally hubby got a job in Regina and good bye Bell since Bell isn't here. Now we have a cell phone each $55 a month for each and unlimited long distance and all the bells and whistle. Hubby still wants a landline but its $55 a month - why pay $55 for a cell and $55 for home line.
    My friends in Ontario use https://www.start.ca/ - saves money on internet and they swear by it
    Good Luck
    ROMEO, Ciel, kellyanna_99 and 1 others like this.

Trading Score
    7 (100%)

Here is the thread to negotiate with B'hell/Bell, Robbers/Rogers etc
    http://forum.smartcanucks.ca/226818-...pany-canada-4/
    ROMEO, Ciel and kellyanna_99 like this.

Trading Score
    0 (0%)

Kellyanna_99, have you checked out Execulink? We have been with them since 1997. (Originally, our account was with Golden, who was bought out by Execulink.) Currently, we have our landline with voice mail and call display and our wifi with them. We have 100GB of internet but I'm sure you can get more GB and even unlimited usage, for a price. Our long distance is 4 cents a minute. Not including the long distance our bill is $62.10 a month (tax in). Execulink even has cable in some rural areas. Our cable is with Rogers but if Execulink brings cable into London, we'll be dropping Rogers like a stone.

We do have a flip top cell phone that we only use for travel. Our service is with Bell Mobilty and we just do pay as you go. We put $100 on it at a time, which is good for a year. (I think that Execulink offers cell phone service, too but not only packages, not pay as you go.)
    Last edited by Retiree; Sun, Oct 12th, 2014 at 08:04 AM.
    ROMEO, Ciel, kellyanna_99 and 2 others like this.

Smart Canuck
    Trading Score
    216 (100%)

Thanks for the information!
    ROMEO and Ciel like this.

Trading Score
    2 (100%)

I had rogers before. I had a beef with bell years ago and won't use them again. My kids are grown and until they got their own cell phones I kept a land line. My computer died so I canceled Internet, next went the tv so no more cable. When I finally called to cancel my phone they were willing to give me amazing deals but I said no.
    I'm with wind because I rarely leave town. Eventually I got a laptop and rogers sent me an offer for 300g for $55 which is not for a limited time.
    I have friends who use magic jack and are happy with that.

Smart Canuck
    Trading Score
    216 (100%)

So far, I'm going to see what Bell will do with their home phone only light package for $24-$30 (depending on where I look). This includes landline, and 911, all 1 want. I will cancel voicemail, internet (for sure!) with them, and see what they say. I am willnig to go cell only to avoid their gouging, but I would prefer a landline without Voip. I would like call display, but can do with out. I am going to pick up an answering machine including phone, to save on voicemail charges. I want to know assurances that it's not going to go up much, or at all, contract (I am not signing for 2-3 years), I don't want to have to call within so many months, to negotiate again, or other crap will be added.

I like the teksavy package for $34 for 300 GB. My brother and wife use it in the house, with no issues going over. You do have to buy a modem from them, so initail cost is higher.

I can upgrade my cell for free as it's 5 years old almost . I can get an iphone package for what I need for $40-$50 a month. I am going to stop by a virgin store this week and find out more.

I am going to dump my mifi wireless router from bell. I had it initially for when I was on the road alot, and needed wifi, but it is pay for use, and can rack up quickly. So, it is going to go. And just for the principle, I don't like bell . Also, I don't use it anymore!

We don't have cable, just netflix, which is great for $8 a month, so not going with cable.

So, if I do this right, I should get all I want for $120 or so a month, between phone(s) and internet and cell phone. The glitch will be how much Bell is going to try to gouge me and be a PITA .

CaToonie
    Trading Score
    0 (0%)

We cancelled Bell about a year ago. When you cancel, they call constantly (daily) to get you back. I got someone once by saying " I was a loyal customer for 28 years and my reward was that you consistantly raised my bill, but now that I'm gone you want to give me all kinds of deals. Go check your computer and anyone that has been loyal to you for more than 20 years, call them and give them the plan that you want to give me. That will keep that customer but you've lost me forever." They didn't know what to say after that. Leave Bell asap!!!
    Ciel, anastasia1009 and walkonby like this.

Trading Score
    26 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by LunchLady View Post
    We cancelled Bell about a year ago. When you cancel, they call constantly (daily) to get you back. I got someone once by saying " I was a loyal customer for 28 years and my reward was that you consistantly raised my bill, but now that I'm gone you want to give me all kinds of deals. Go check your computer and anyone that has been loyal to you for more than 20 years, call them and give them the plan that you want to give me. That will keep that customer but you've lost me forever." They didn't know what to say after that. Leave Bell asap!!!
    happen to me - I cancelled and there loyalty department called me 5 to 8 times a day. So I answer once and I say mark on my file I am moving to Regina -and there is not Bell there. Its quiet for one day and starts all over again calls from the loyalty department. They messed up my cancel date twice - set for Oct 10 - got cut off on Sept 10 - then oops its back on then Sept 30 cut off and back on the next day after yelling at them. Worse company ever.
    Ciel likes this.

Trading Score
    12 (100%)

Kellyanne99, just make sure to post a note by each phone when you drop Bell long distance (last fall's network charge increase prompted the change), that Bell will charge you a $2.95 network charge if you direct-dial a long distance call without a LD plan +time of use rate per minute+HST. Have a prepaid calling card (PC Canada/USA, Walmart or Bell-all service is through Bell anyways but rates may vary) by the main phone. Yes, it's good to have an answering machine with the phone to take messages.
    If you currently have a long distance plan with Bell, tell the CSR that the network charge also has to drop off your bill when you give your 30 days' notice of changes in your service.
    The 911 fee is 19 cents monthly plus HST. Touch-tone service is $2.95 (I think) and monthly phone service is $26.95. Add HST and you're at about $35 /month for the landline.
    kellyanna_99 and bobbyreyes like this.
    2021-Bring on the sunshine, sweets & online shopping.

Smart Canuck
    Trading Score
    216 (100%)

Thanks Ciel!
    Ciel likes this.

Trading Score
    12 (100%)

You're welcome, kellyanna99! Sorry for misspelling your ID in earlier post!
    Landline still has merit-I had to post a summer phone bill by main phone to show someone what a LD made without the calling card cost. Think it got through $5+ charge (in total for short call incl. network charge) vs 25 cents on calling card.
    kellyanna_99 likes this.
    2021-Bring on the sunshine, sweets & online shopping.

Smart Canuck
    Trading Score
    216 (100%)

I really only make long distance calls to three numbers on a regular basis, all family, and all Canada, or Michigan. Anything else would be for work, and I can submit for those, if I use my own phone while working away from the office. I am going to have to upgrade my cell, probably to an iphone, as it is not meeting my work needs and it is dying (it is almost 5 years old). I am an independant contractor, for lack of a better word, so they wouldn't provide a phone, but I can submit any calls I make, if that makes sense? Also, most virgin plans I looked at(I am with them right now, and like their service), I can get evenings and weekend long distance unlimited, so I would use my cell for long distance.

I will look at internet options more this week, but I am leaning towards teksavy.

Trading Score
    0 (0%)

If you travel a lot within you're Province make sure Virgin has good coverage outside the city. Most companies have plans that include large number of minutes or unlimited Canada wide calling, texting etc. As for land line and internet service I don't live in you're Province but I hope you find something that accommodates you're needs.

Smart Canuck
    Trading Score
    51 (100%)

I use Yak for my long distance on the landline. Nice and easy, cheap and if you don't use you don't pay.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information