• 3 Post By walkonby
  • 1 Post By tjthemanto
  • 2 Post By cyn88canada
  • 2 Post By GeorgiaK

Thread: New Cash Register System at Metro

CaLoonie
    Trading Score
    178 (100%)

As you may be aware, Metro has a new cash register system. I went to Metro yesterday for my usual grocery shop to realize their system will only allow you to enter a certain number of coupons. Anything beyond that number must be approved by a manager, so it meant that the manager had to override each of my last 6 coupons. I felt terrible for the people behind me and the cashier too, as it took a few minutes to do this.

One of the reasons I don't shop at Loblaws and No Frills is because their systems do this as well. It's not a huge deal or anything, but it's annoying to know this will be my weekend experience for the near future.

Anyone else experiencing this?
    This thread is currently associated with: Loblaws, Metro, No Frills
    Ciel and walkonby like this.

CaLoonie
    Trading Score
    0 (0%)

I was in there recently and wanted them to simply check a price on an item for me and it took over 10 minutes...
    Ciel likes this.

Smart Canuck
    Trading Score
    74 (100%)

I shop at Metro often because I'm an airmiles junkie but its service is miserable. I've given up shopping at night because the butchers are off (or might as well be) at that point and their "sales" meat is always gone. The few times I was able to let someone know that I needed e.g. a pound of sales burger, I waited fifteen mintues for them to get it for me. Ah, well. Airmiles...just think airmiles.
    Ciel likes this.

Trading Score
    26 (100%)

Yes, I went there about a week ago, apparently that was the first day and the cashier knew nothing. Just happened that the customer in front of me used up the last of the register receipt roll, it look almost 20 mins for her (plus 2 managers) to figure out how to put a new roll in. Then, I hand the cashier 3 coupons, and she looked like me like I handed her a spider. That took another 10 mins for her to figure that out. I finally got out of there and was like phew, did they not train these cashiers at all before it was implemented?
    janetta, Ciel, lecale and 3 others like this.

no more door to door! :) walkonby's Avatar
    Trading Score
    24 (100%)

lol!! GracieAnne I just had to find a suitable pic for that post of yours.

OP, thanks for the heads up about the change at Metro regarding coupons. I'll remember to pack extra patience if I return for a shop there.
    Ciel, Shine_eye and jamesfranco like this.

babies teach us acceptance

Canadian Guru
    Trading Score
    46 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by GracieAnne View Post
    Yes, I went there about a week ago, apparently that was the first day and the cashier knew nothing. Just happened that the customer in front of me used up the last of the register receipt roll, it look almost 20 mins for her (plus 2 managers) to figure out how to put a new roll in. Then, I hand the cashier 3 coupons, and she looked like me like I handed her a spider. That took another 10 mins for her to figure that out. I finally got out of there and was like phew, did they not train these cashiers at all before it was implemented?
    Lot of stores have started hiring new people , especially cashiers for the X'Mas rush. They are just throwing them to the lions, not bothering to train them or properly showing them anything.

They are just using them and are going to dispose them off after X'Mas, so their foolish logic is why waste our time and money in training them properly..they are not going to be here for long anyways.

Lot of customer's and newbie employees are suffering due to this

I actually feel sorry for these new guys due to their short sighted managers and supervisors.
    Ciel likes this.

Smart Canuck
    Trading Score
    1 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by Shine_eye View Post
    One of the reasons I don't shop at Loblaws and No Frills is because their systems do this as well. It's not a huge deal or anything, but it's annoying to know this will be my weekend experience for the near future.
    I didn't know about Metro, so thanks for posting.

For No Frills and RCSS, I think the limit is $10 in coupons before an override is required. If you don't need all your purchases on one receipt, you can break it up into several transactions and avoid having to wait for the Supervisor.

For instance, I had $12 in coupons once, and just separated my items into 2 payments so I could use $6 of coupons each time -- no need to wait for Supervisor. Saves time, and the cashiers don't seem to mind.

This may work at Metro, too.
    Last edited by cyn88canada; Thu, Oct 16th, 2014 at 08:40 PM. Reason: fixed quote format
    Ciel and Shine_eye like this.

Trading Score
    65 (100%)

At the Maxi et Cie stores in my area, most of the cashiers have the supervisor code to overide the coupon limit. This makes it a lot faster.
    FallenPixels and YOU AND ME like this.

[vbp_tr_most_helpful_today]
    Trading Score
    254 (100%)

I've never seen this as much of a hassle.

HUH? YOU DON'T DO SWAGBUCKS??? ARE YOU CRAZAY?!

Trading Score
    173 (100%)

It has been that way at mine for ages. The cashiers seem to have different limits too as some don't even override them. It will get worse as they hire new Xmas cashiers too
    Make an easy $20+ per month with Swagbucks - watch videos, search, play games & get paid!
    ~ ~ ~
    Save while shopping online with cashback from ebates
    Get cash rebates when you buy from amazon.ca, Old Navy and more - get paid by cheque or paypal!

Trading Score
    591 (100%)

I do like cyn88canada if i have $20 in coupons i broke it up into 2 transactions much easier
    http://forum.smartcanucks.ca/411352-...-lists-canada/

Please use my ​Orange key when you open a Tangerine account 41140291S1

Thread Information