User Tag List

Like Tree2Likes
  • 1 Post By terry2144
  • 1 Post By LisaLisaBoBisa

Thread: Christmas gifts... How much is enough ? For yours kids

Trading Score
    3 (100%)

Do you have a budget dollar wise, or base it per items individually?
    Ive started my shopping but not sure when enough is enough, or maybe not enough ?
    This thread is currently associated with: N/A

Trading Score
    2 (100%)

This takes me back. When my kids were young I used a dollar amount but I didn't wrap anything until I was done. I would lay everything out and visually check it. Sometimes one got a little more than another because of age difference. I didn't want one to be done opening way early and have to wait while others finished. As they got older they realized if they got a big ticket item they would get less stuff.
    coupon girl likes this.

Sith Lady and Cool Kid Darth Penguin's Avatar
    Trading Score
    20 (100%)

depends on how old the children are...what they want versus what they need and how much money we have for extras...

Short answer : no Long answer : NOOOOOOOOOOO!

Welcome to the Penguinocracy..One Penguin, One vote..I am The Penguin..I have the One Vote

Sith Lady and Cool Kid Darth Penguin's Avatar
    Trading Score
    20 (100%)

depends on how old the children are...what they want versus what they need and how much money we have for extras...

eta...when thier birthday was...big presssies tend to be Bday presies..

Short answer : no Long answer : NOOOOOOOOOOO!

Welcome to the Penguinocracy..One Penguin, One vote..I am The Penguin..I have the One Vote

Trading Score
    2 (100%)

No limit for my son (just turned 1 year). I'm sure my wife will go all out for Christmas this year.
    Matt

Canadian Guru
    Trading Score
    459 (100%)

Well, this year my budget is different. There are 7 people on my side we are buying GC's at $30/pp. On DH's side we draw names at $50 each(so $100 total)plus there are 3 niece/nephews(they never pick cheap gifts on their list so I imagine that will be roughly $50/child). Then DH&I exchange not sure what or if there's a rate this year. I usually try to use my rewards points between SB's(Gc's), SDM Optimum and PC Plus to soften the blow. Helps with stocking stuffers and clothes mostly. I try to buy each DS a few things they have on their Christmas list. The hard part is not giving what is on the Santa list lol!
    Last edited by sweetmomma; Tue, Oct 21st, 2014 at 03:13 PM.
    Want to keep fit while earning incentives like Scene Points? Join Carrot Rewards using my personal code: rosaw3424

Easy Free Online Rewards--Paypal, Amazon, Etc.

http://swagbucks.com/refer/BlingPink

Canadian Guru
    Trading Score
    54 (100%)

Depends. When they were younger I could get tons on clearance and not spend much but it looked like I did. Now they are older and electronics (iPads) cost $$$$. We did that last year so not sure what to get this year.

Trading Score
    0 (0%)

I don't really spend a lot of money buying toys or gifts for my kids. I spent a lot of what they need than what they want.
    Give Your Kids the Right Toys! KidKraft Canada http://www.kidstoysandstuff.com - Kids Toys and Stuff

Smart Canuck
    Trading Score
    4 (100%)

I do about 250 per kid and Dh. My youngest ends up getting presents than my oldest because my oldest would rather have concert tickets or electronics and they're more expensive. I try to get the kids the fun stuff that they want and ask the grandparents to buy them stuff that need.

Trading Score
    80 (100%)

What to get the kid who has everything? Ds has an ipad and ipod - Wiiu, xbox, 2x3ds and 1xds.. Soooo, looks like I'm in the clear for awhile.. A long while.. I don't tend to save presents for christmas and happily buy during the year. I have a large best buy gift card ($500) that I'm saving for our next "need" purchase.. The one where you don't want to let the kid down - and I don't anticipate using that for a couple of years really.. Ds hasn't asked for anything so far.. DH gets burned copies of games so he has way too many to count.. I actually found a list he made of things he wants to sell? lol - I might be able to get away with the gift of $$ and convince him to bank it this year.. Typical stocking stuffers etc but nothing more than $50.. I really really really resent the "waste" of the whole thing and the waste of the plastics (skylanders) that ds seems to outgrow in a matter of days.. Then they sit there not being enjoyed by anyone.. His are currently stored in bins under his bed..

I often tell family who ask what he needs that a gift card or cash is good.. We use those over the course of the year when ds finds something he really needs..

This year I now have dd who is 7 months.. Again, I can't think of a single thing to get her.. I bought a whole bunch of leapfrog learning gadgets while pregnant so she has lots of toys - *I bought a cabbage patch doll* if you can imagine.. LOL.. An elmo that makes noise of some kind but I refuse to pay $60 for it..

I'd rather the kids walk away from christmas with $250 to bank than plastics that will be more for me to pick up..

I'm waiting for Targets next clearance toy sale - I hope there is a big one before they bring in Christmas stock.. I got nerf guns that were $24.99 for $4..
    PurpleBunny89 likes this.

Trading Score
    454 (100%)

I don't have kids so this thread is definitely interesting.

I remember being a child and always being disappointed when gifts were needs rather then wants but now that I'm older I understand. If I had a child I'd request family members to deposit money into a high interest savings account for my child and then I would probably buy the needs with maybe a want or two.

Currently DH and I have a $50 birthday budget and $100 Christmas budget for each other. It was difficult at first but once we got over the need to splurge we've been doing great. Its all about making a plan and prioritizing what you really want now or can wait until next year for. We used to do $250 for birthdays and $500 for Christmas each but it started getting hard to spend that much + have that much to spend in the first place. We are much happier with our new, lower budgets
    Insert Clever Signature Here

Thread Information