User Tag List

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
Like Tree13Likes

Thread: Salaries - millennials compared to Baby Boomers

Trading Score
    7 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by beachdown View Post
    If you study just Arts, History, Aesthetics, Music...you can hardly expect to be rolling in dough when you finish after 4yrs. It only makes sense that those students that put in a lot of effort, reap the rewards in the end.
    Some millennial student are doing some good things. I have met them. I have had them in student placements at my workplace. Not all bad.
    Natalka and thriftygranny like this.

Banned
    Trading Score
    0 (0%)

No doubt there are a few exceptions. However, they are the me me me / entitlement generation. Oh.... Maths is too hard, I don't get Chemistry / Physics / Biology

Quote Originally Posted by Shwa Girl View Post
    Some millennial student are doing some good things. I have met them. I have had them in student placements at my workplace. Not all bad.

Trading Score
    27 (100%)

I don't know why millennial bashing was brought into a discussion about salary comparisons. There are many people across multiple generations that choose their career path based on passion instead of salary potential and I don't think there is anything wrong with that. Any degree takes a lot of effort and hard work, they all require hours of study, research, self-discipline and determination. As millennials, I think we do have more opportunities to follow what we love as a career and generate income in more non-traditional ways than the generations before us.

I encourage you to look a little closer at the actual people in our generation as a whole, and not just those who make the news, we are a pretty big generation. There are a lot of hard-working millennials out there. I happen to work with an amazing group of 22-30 year-olds, with many different degrees, who are constantly driving change to evolve our organization and make it successful, while enriching our personal lives as well. A lot of us have 'side hustles' and our own entrepreneurial projects. We make work differently, and have a different set of things we value but so did the generations before us. A lot of us are willing to put in the effort to get the things we want our of life, but that may not mean we want a life focused around a career.
    Last edited by beckie.c; Thu, Aug 27th, 2015 at 03:43 AM.
    Natalka and thriftygranny like this.

Banned
    Trading Score
    0 (0%)

^
    It's not "bashing"...

Not all degrees are created equal or take the same amount of work to accomplish. There is a reason why people shy away from the sciences...lets not fool ourselves. If it was easy, everybody will be doing it, and the university entry requirements is a good indication of this point.

Yes there are a lot of millennials that are hard working out there, but those are the go-getters as opposed to those looking for someone to look after them. I mean what happens when a person that studied history or aesthetics can't get a job? They end up being someone else's liability because they "followed their dream" or love for make-up and the like.

Banned
    Trading Score
    0 (0%)

I spoke to soon.....what was it about "millennials following their passions". News just in today

Beyonce 101: Canadian universities offering courses studying pop superstar
    http://www.ctvnews.ca/entertainment/...star-1.2536371

Trading Score
    29 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by beckie.c View Post
    I don't know why millennial bashing was brought into a discussion about salary comparisons. There are many people across multiple generations that choose their career path based on passion instead of salary potential and I don't think there is anything wrong with that. Any degree takes a lot of effort and hard work, they all require hours of study, research, self-discipline and determination. As millennials, I think we do have more opportunities to follow what we love as a career and generate income in more non-traditional ways than the generations before us.

I encourage you to look a little closer at the actual people in our generation as a whole, and not just those who make the news, we are a pretty big generation. There are a lot of hard-working millennials out there. I happen to work with an amazing group of 22-30 year-olds, with many different degrees, who are constantly driving change to evolve our organization and make it successful, while enriching our personal lives as well. A lot of us have 'side hustles' and our own entrepreneurial projects. We make work differently, and have a different set of things we value but so did the generations before us. A lot of us are willing to put in the effort to get the things we want our of life, but that may not mean we want a life focused around a career.
    I totally agree with you, well said! My son is almost 24, and amongst his friends, workmates - and members of our family who are around similar ages - all are doing very well in varied forms of work and study - varying through medicine, nursing, pharmacy, mechanics, engineering, IT, history, education, respiratory therapy, music, priest, clerical worker, pipefitter, professor, marketer, etc. (That was kind of fun, going through a partial list!)
    walkonby and beckie.c like this.

Trading Score
    29 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by beachdown View Post
    I spoke to soon.....what was it about "millennials following their passions". News just in today

http://www.ctvnews.ca/entertainment/...star-1.2536371
    There have been 'basket-weaving' classes at universities since the '60s...
    thriftygranny and beckie.c like this.

Banned
    Trading Score
    0 (0%)

Which of the above listed occupations is yours?

Am sure there has been.....who is supplementing the wages of these people I wonder?

If people had to fend for themselves as opposed to rely on the income of someone else, their attitudes will be different. I have too much self dignity to live off someone else as an adult.

Quote Originally Posted by Natalka View Post
    There have been 'basket-weaving' classes at universities since the '60s...
    Last edited by beachdown; Fri, Aug 28th, 2015 at 09:39 AM.

Trading Score
    29 (100%)

I'm not a millennial, but I was a teacher.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread Information