User Tag List

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Like Tree4Likes

Thread: Bonus Points with gift card purchase???

CaNewbie
    Trading Score
    0 (0%)

Anyone hear when/if this promotion will be happening this year? Hoping there are no restrictions like last year and hoping grocery store gift cards will be available..
    This thread is currently associated with: N/A
    Its not 'savings', it is spending less or spending nothing - if you put it in the bank and it stays there, it is savings

Trading Score
    1 (100%)

Here ya go, there was a thread further down discussing the GCs. No official word yet on when it will be, but you can read the other comments

http://forum.smartcanucks.ca/392371-...e-xmas-canada/

Trading Score
    0 (0%)

They have had this promo every Nov the last(at least) 5 years. I am guessing it will be starting Nov 8th since it started Nov 9th last year.

I earned $50 in Amazon Gift Cards in my first month at Swagbucks!!
    http://www.swagbucks.com/refer/Scarecrow7

Trading Score
    2 (100%)

I noticed in the upcoming flyer there is 2000 bonus points for a ct card. It shows a $50 card but also states that $25 is available. Thinking gas. I will be buying it anyway.
    nash0109 likes this.

Canadian Guru
    Trading Score
    54 (100%)

I'm thinking I will buy a few too for gas. And one for a Christmas gift.
    nash0109 likes this.

Junior Canuck
    Trading Score
    0 (0%)

Sometimes I wish SDM made presented their Optimum offers with more clarification. I am often confused by the "on participating products" saying they often use because I want to know which are the "participating products." I am interested in the Cdn Tire GC promo coming up but I have questions....like the 2000bp is also offered on the $25 cards?? Can I buy more than one GC and receive 2000bp on each card??? Do they have to be purchased in separate transactions like the other GC promo?? Does anyone know?

Junior Canuck
    Trading Score
    0 (0%)

Quote Originally Posted by nash0109 View Post
    Sometimes I wish SDM made presented their Optimum offers with more clarification. I am often confused by the "on participating products" saying they often use because I want to know which are the "participating products." I am interested in the Cdn Tire GC promo coming up but I have questions....like the 2000bp is also offered on the $25 cards?? Can I buy more than one GC and receive 2000bp on each card??? Do they have to be purchased in separate transactions like the other GC promo?? Does anyone know?
    Nevermind. I phoned and got the info. 2000bp are awarded for every $50 spent on Cdn Tire GCs. You can buy 2 $25 to get the bp but not only $25. You can buy multiple and can purchase in one transaction. If you want $100 worth then purchase 2 $50s to get the pts...not a single $100 card. That is what customer service told me so hopefully she was correct! I plan on buying a couple for gas....but I'm still hoping for the yearly GC promo in November!
    luckbealady and Poobah like this.

Trading Score
    0 (0%)

Hmmmm.. 2000 on 25 bucks would be nice. But even still 2000 on $50 can work out to over 10 cents per litre by my calculation. of course only redeemable on shoppers merchandise, but that's not a bad thing.

Has there been better deals on Gift card purchases before, or is that about as good as it gets?

Trading Score
    1 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by Poobah View Post
    Hmmmm.. 2000 on 25 bucks would be nice. But even still 2000 on $50 can work out to over 10 cents per litre by my calculation. of course only redeemable on shoppers merchandise, but that's not a bad thing.

Has there been better deals on Gift card purchases before, or is that about as good as it gets?
    The promo in November has been 8000 for $150 in GCs for the past few years (I think you need to buy 2 cards to make the $150, so you can't just load $150 onto a card - but I could be wrong about that ).
    So that's 2000 points more than this promo.

Just be careful with the gas cards - a few SCers had issues with the cards they bought during last year's promo having their balances stolen. They got it resolved with Petro, but it did take a while.

Trading Score
    0 (0%)

Jeeze I was just thinking of this a bit more.. and now I have to think about stuff here. lol

Even at 4000 points every 100 dollars.... If buying them with a credit card you get an extra 25 * 100 or 2500 points for a total of 6500 points per 100.

So that's still based on my regular redeem of 200 / 95000 * 6500 = $13.68 worth of shoppers points for every 100 spent.

If one were crazy....

They might buy gas for a year (1500-2000 bucks)... save 17 cents per liter (approximately)
    They might buy some cineplex Gift cards (500 bucks) tickets for the year...

OH and lets not forget thier shoppers shopping... I could probably put down 3 grand lol. (and i wouldn't have to preload all the time, just bring fresh cards. lol)

Um.... that's like 357500 points.... and legitimate savings to be had. Oh god. I can't.. I won't..... Must leave thread now.

Trading Score
    0 (0%)

Oh poo.. calculation was a bit off. I forgot you don't get basic points on non-shipper gift cards.

However you still get the 15 credit card bonus. I'm going to hold out and hope for the standard shoppers gift card promo would would net similar results. Who knows maybe you will be able.to combine with the Canadian tire point offer with the seasonal offer.? But I.doubt it.

Smart Canuck
    Trading Score
    0 (0%)

Yes, must buy a total of $50 of Canadian Tire (CT) Gift Cards (1x $50 or 2x $25) to get 2000 bonus points. What's interesting is that we also received 500 points for the $50 purchase. Is this normal?

I am hoping Rexall will have another sale of Gift Cards, spend $20 for the $25 gift card. This was worth it for us cause we used the Canadian Tire gift cards to buy gas which means it was a 20% reduction and also got CT money (which is multiplied if you present the coupon from the back of the CT flyer or use (extra) coupons from in-store Canadian Tire @ Service desk.

Rexall's 2013 Gift Card Deal http://smartcanucks.ca/rexall-flyer-...-rose-etc-hot/

Update: I was unclear why the purchase of CT Gift Card rewards us with 500 Regular Points & the bonus offering of 2000 points. After reviewing the SDM FAQ, I learned Gift Cards (excluding Shoppers Gift Cards) which are promoted in flyer will always receive regular points along with the promotion/bonus points. If it's not in the flyer, the purchase of Gift Cards (excluding Shoppers Gift Cards) normally would not receive the Regular Points. Shopper's Gift Cards does not follow that rule. It seems Shoppers Gift Cards ALWAYS gets the Regular points. Re-sharing this post in case you're also new to Shoppers rewards system... http://forum.smartcanucks.ca/113369-...mizing-canada/
    Last edited by rockco; Sun, Nov 2nd, 2014 at 05:55 PM. Reason: More Info Re: Regular Points on Gift Cards

Junior Canuck
    Trading Score
    0 (0%)

Quote Originally Posted by luckbealady View Post
    The promo in November has been 8000 for $150 in GCs for the past few years (I think you need to buy 2 cards to make the $150, so you can't just load $150 onto a card - but I could be wrong about that ).
    So that's 2000 points more than this promo.

Just be careful with the gas cards - a few SCers had issues with the cards they bought during last year's promo having their balances stolen. They got it resolved with Petro, but it did take a while.
    That's why I don't buy too many Shoppers GCs at one time. People have had their card balances stolen or they don't scan properly. Plus, they are like cash so someone can just swipe them. Shoppers has a lot of scams when it comes to these gift cards. Some stores don't even let you buy a GC with a credit card due to fraud.

Trading Score
    0 (0%)

Dude that rexall sale would kick butt... 20 % of gas. Looking into that.

Frosh Canuck
    Trading Score
    0 (0%)

I bought a Canadian Tire Gift Card at Shopper's on Sat. and the 2000 bonus points did not appear on the receipt. Did anyone else get them?

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information