• 4 Post By Poobah
  • 1 Post By pdaaat
  • 1 Post By Poirot
  • 1 Post By luckbealady

Thread: So My Local Shoppers is Finally Closing

CaNewbie
    Trading Score
    0 (0%)

The SDM in Exeter, Ontario is closing up. It relaunches as a Guardian Drugs that day.

I am happy as those working there (including my son) get to keep their jobs.

Not so happy as we're losing our SDM. Stuck now with an overpriced Foodland and a marked up Your Independent Grocer. And Guardian won't be able to touch what SDM offered in sales or its Optimum program.
    This thread is currently associated with: Foodland, Guardian Drugs, Independent, Pharmaprix, Shoppers Drug Mart

Trading Score
    1 (100%)

I know it probably has to do with demographics and profits, but it seems strange to me that they are closing stores in towns where there is only 1 Shoppers, and yet in the city I shop in there are 3 within a 5-10 minute drive of each other (and a big new Rexall just opened across the street from one of them)!

Trading Score
    12 (100%)

Glad about the jobs being saved. Is the pharmacist the same (aka the one who changed store brands)? Just wondering if the customer medical prescription database stayed with the store so locals won't have to go through the file transfer process between pharmacies.

Noticed that Guardian has the Atoma line of products. Chain is also an official supplier for the 2015 Pan-Am Games. https://www.guardian-pharmacy.ca/exclusive-brands/atoma
    macw1960 likes this.
    2021-Bring on the sunshine, sweets & online shopping.

Trading Score
    321 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by pdaaat View Post
    The SDM in Exeter, Ontario is closing up. It relaunches as a Guardian Drugs that day.

I am happy as those working there (including my son) get to keep their jobs.

Not so happy as we're losing our SDM. Stuck now with an overpriced Foodland and a marked up Your Independent Grocer. And Guardian won't be able to touch what SDM offered in sales or its Optimum program.
    Do you know when...might be able to get some deals?

No act of kindness, no matter how small, is ever forgotten...Aesop

Smart Canuck
    Trading Score
    5 (100%)

So sad. I would cry without a Shoppers near me.

My aunt and uncle live in Exeter. Such a pretty little town.
    Ciel likes this.

Trading Score
    0 (0%)

Quote Originally Posted by luckbealady View Post
    I know it probably has to do with demographics and profits, but it seems strange to me that they are closing stores in towns where there is only 1 Shoppers, and yet in the city I shop in there are 3 within a 5-10 minute drive of each other (and a big new Rexall just opened across the street from one of them)!
    Where I live, Shoppers are like Tim Hortons. There are literally 3 shoppers on the same street, 2 of which are directly on opposing corners at the same intersection. Add there is a 4th one just minutes away from the other one. Crazy Crazy.

CaNewbie
    Trading Score
    0 (0%)

Unsure about the pharmacist. The owner has sold to someone who already owns several Guardian stores.
    Ciel likes this.

Canadian Guru
    Trading Score
    0 (0%)

Quote Originally Posted by luckbealady View Post
    Loblaws owns Your Independent Grocer and Shoppers that could explain the closing down of Shoppers.
    Ciel likes this.

Trading Score
    1 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by Poirot View Post
    Loblaws owns Your Independent Grocer and Shoppers that could explain the closing down of Shoppers.
    Oh I have no doubt the store is closing because of the acquisition (part of the deal was that they had to sell off some Shoppers stores), I'm just surprised at which stores they are closing.
    Ciel likes this.

Thread Information