Like Tree57Likes

Thread: SDM : Shop Lifting

Canadian Guru
    Trading Score
    46 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by lecale View Post
    Really? Because our SDM and our cops do things like this:

http://kitchener.ctvnews.ca/photos-r...spect-1.635642
    Really ? you are going to post one picture from 2011 ? How many more SDM's do you think were looted after that in your area ? The cops must have posted pictures of all of them right ?

Do you even know how much shop lifting takes place ? Billions of dollars of worth each year.

Do you really think cops go on posting pictures of each and every shoplifting that takes place in retail stores , they neither have time nor resources for that . Not even a tiny fraction of them are investigated, by cops.
    its extremely low priority for them .

Hence the retailers hire their own security & loss prevention guys. I know people in the industry, who say cops barely take it seriously , and only a fraction goes ahead, when reported.
    Shwa Girl and thriftygranny like this.

Trading Score
    7 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by tjthemanto View Post
    Hence the retailers hire their own security & loss prevention guys. I know people in the industry, who say cops barely take it seriously , and only a fraction goes ahead, when reported.
    Yes. Loss Prevention departments investigate the shop lifting in some stores.

Like others have said, this may have been a theft where a current/former employee was helping to carry this out. Someone who knows how the store operates and daily routines. Plus must have been planned for a while.

Sad.

Smart Canuck
    Trading Score
    5 (100%)

If you've never worked in retail I would expect comments like "inside job", "planned job" etc. Thieves do this for a living. They are quick. Trust me when I say it takes less than 60 seconds to clear an entire shelf of product into a reusable bag and exit the store.

There are not enough staff members to make contact with every single customer at all times. These shoplifters are not new at this. They have been doing it for years. They know how to get around the security precautions. They know when to enter the store. They know how to enter and exit quickly.

It's not an inside job.

Police will not do anything about shoplifters unless it's a widespread issue happening at the same chain of stores and it's the same description of the suspects.

$2000 in the grand scheme of things is really nothing. It sounds like a lot but when companies are making milllions and millions of dollars a year, $2000 is pocket change. Still doesn't make it okay but it's not anything to lose sleep over, unfortunately.
    coupon girl and steen like this.

Trading Score
    7 (100%)

comment was based on working in retail before and working with loss prevention staff
    CrazyQT and torontogal12 like this.

Canadian Guru
    Trading Score
    159 (100%)

@CrazyQT I worked in retail for 8 years. We had tons of shoplifters at the store. Yes they are definitely professionals. I won't explain some of the things they did (don't want to give the Internet tips). But no way an SDM would put out that many expensive products at once for shoplifters to even get near them. They keep that stuff in locked cabinets. Hence the "inside job" comments.
    Last edited by torontogal12; Thu, Nov 6th, 2014 at 11:22 PM.
    CrazyQT likes this.
    Apply every possible promo code to your cart, at every store that you visit (and get points for cash back on top of that?). It's sweet and easy with HONEY.

Always use Ebates and get cash back at over 600 online stores! Use this link to get $5, FREE

Smart Canuck
    Trading Score
    13 (100%)

I think the only way the thief(ves) can steal so many at once is maybe somebody in cosmetic receive a shipment and is in the process of putting away the products from the floor, someone create a diversion and the other steal them. That's my theory.

What are they gonna do with all those vichy cream, selling on kijiji???
    Last edited by Decaf; Fri, Nov 7th, 2014 at 12:13 AM.

Smart Canuck
    Trading Score
    5 (100%)

38 bottles of vichy isn't a lot if you think about it. A shelf holds at least 15-18 products. Three deep is 54 boxes. One swipe into a reusable bag would easily nab them 38 bottles. Unfortunately I've seen it done. It happens a lot more often then it should.
    thriftygranny likes this.

Smart Canuck
    Trading Score
    5 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by torontogal12 View Post
    @CrazyQT I worked in retail for 8 years. We had tons of shoplifters at the store. Yes they are definitely professionals. I won't explain some of the things they did (don't want to give the Internet tips). But no way an SDM would put out that many expensive products at once for shoplifters to even get near them. They keep that stuff in locked cabinets. Hence the "inside job" comments.
    I guess I shouldn't have used the word expect. I probably should have said something like I can see how someone could think it would be an inside job if they have never worked in retail to see just how quickly shoplifters work. Honestly next time you are in SDM check out the derm section. There are definitely more than 38 items on a shelf so it's not impossible for them to take 38 bottles.

Now if they were 38 bottles of the same product I would wonder but if they were all different then it was probably the doing of thieves. I would hope that it would not be employees.

Frosh Canuck
    Trading Score
    1 (100%)

I doubt an inside job, the Shoppers I worked at always checked our purses, back packs, bags etc.. upon leaving the store.
    I wont go into detail but the things people will shoplift and the amount its crazy.

Canadian Genius
    Trading Score
    51 (100%)

Last edited by lecale; Sun, Jan 18th, 2015 at 09:31 AM.

Trading Score
    30 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by Decaf View Post

What are they gonna do with all those vichy cream, selling on kijiji???
    They will sell these items on eBay, at flea markets, yard sales etc
    DS works in RCSS and he says the amount of stuff stolen is mind-boggling. They don't have security of any kind except in the electronics and even that is a joke. No one works the till in electronics and the tag detector only works occasionally. And even when it does, no staff checks. Until they get their act together and beef things up, it will be a shoplifters heaven
    Last edited by wolfwoman; Sat, Nov 8th, 2014 at 01:54 PM.
    Just call me Wolfie

Frosh Canuck
    Trading Score
    5 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by greeny View Post
    I don't see how anyone would be able to steal that much, unless there was a group of people involved in the theft. All I know is, the minute I walk into the expensive make-up area or perfume area or where they keep the more expensive products, I always have one of their staff approach me and ask me if I need help. I have purchased a bottle of pricey perfume from there before. The staff member held it in her hand and asked me if there was anything else I needed. I said I wanted to shop around...she said she would hold onto the perfume until I'm done shopping. This happened to be before as well when I purchased a bottle of Clinique foundation. The lady held it in her hand and took me to the cash register. This also happened when I purchased one eye liner. She held it in her hand and directed me to the cash register. I was only handed it AFTER I paid for it. LOL I hope this is normal protocol or do I just get this "special" attention ?
    When I worked at Walmart and someone wanted perfume from the case we would have to unlock it, if they wanted to purchase it, it had to be paid for at the cosmetics counter (same goes for the shavers in cases). When the cosmetics cash register wasnt open, we would have to hold on to it untill the customer was done their shopping, follow them to the cash register they were going to and hand it to the cashier in his/her hand. Yes it is a long process, but I'd rather be doing that than be paying for people shop lifting.
    torontogal12 likes this.
    Trade list:
    CZ Save $1 on any TWO deleverde pasta exp: oct 31, 2014
    Save $8 on Enfamil A+. gentleease, lactose free, nutramigen A+ exp: feb 1, 2015
    Save $5 on a tub or refill box of Enfamil A+ Gentlease exp: feb 1, 2015
    Save $4 on Enfamil D-Vi-Sol, Tri-Vi-Sol, Poly-Vi-Sol exp: feb 1, 2015

Smart Canuck
    Trading Score
    8 (100%)

Are you sure they weren't talking about someone with FPCs - staff sometimes treat you and speak to you like you are stealing even when you aren't. You would need a cart for that much.

Built Bars 15% off sitewide, free shipping when you spend $25. User the code LOUISE2020 to get another 10%

PC Insiders please use my code LR1507 you get $25 and I get $10 in points

Senior Canuck
    Trading Score
    0 (0%)

Oh no! Must be an inside job

Smart Canuck
    Trading Score
    25 (100%)

if i believe anything, not that.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread Information