• 4 Post By LisaLisaBoBisa
  • 2 Post By Lyssia510
  • 2 Post By safielstar
  • 1 Post By LisaLisaBoBisa
  • 2 Post By Chantel

Thread: Sample Gift Baskets??

Trading Score
    80 (100%)

Sooooo in an attempt to 1. save money and 2. show how things can be fun and free (not out loud just by the obvious basket) is it CRAZY to make gift baskets full of samples? I have a BUNCH -- and I really want to save some cash.. DH claims we are not going to gift his family.. I don't like that idea at ALL.. What I intended was for those that we want to gift we can also add a gift card inside of the basket and those that we don't the gift basket will be it.. Have I gone so frugal and sample crazy that I enjoy them but other people wont? I wasn't going to be stingy on them either.. I wish I could get some coupons for the larger sized items and add those as well - and I will if I do.. Does any of this make sense or has crazy pregnancy brain taken over??
    This thread is currently associated with: N/A
    Last edited by LisaLisaBoBisa; Fri, Nov 7th, 2014 at 01:03 PM.

Smart Canuck
    Trading Score
    1 (100%)

Well... If the recipient knows what's in the basket came free to you, it's kind of tacky. Having said that, if there's some kind of theme and something else with some thought behind it, for example, a basket with shampoo, soap, and shower gel with the addition of hand knitted dish cloth by you, then it becomes a thoughtful gift.

To save money, I buy a bunch of Christmas ornaments, discounted of course, on Boxing Day. The following year, I make them part of a gift where I've made the rest, like cookies, or spiced nuts.

Trading Score
    80 (100%)

Thanks.. I don't have any ornaments.. but I do have lots of samples - razors - mascara (full size)- cover girl lip balms etc/spoolies etc. I don't mind picking up something specific if I know the person likes it but I don't want to spend $25 per gift.. I'll see if I can find something christmas related to put in the baskets.. Hmm a work in progress.. thanks for input
    Ciel likes this.

Frosh Canuck
    Trading Score
    0 (0%)

I don't see anything wrong with it. You can actually purchase sample sizes (travel sizes) at most stores now anyways. There's no way for them to know whether you purchased the stuff or not. It's the thought that counts.

Junior Canuck
    Trading Score
    54 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by LisaLisaBoBisa View Post
    Thanks.. I don't have any ornaments.. but I do have lots of samples - razors - mascara (full size)- cover girl lip balms etc/spoolies etc. I don't mind picking up something specific if I know the person likes it but I don't want to spend $25 per gift.. I'll see if I can find something christmas related to put in the baskets.. Hmm a work in progress.. thanks for input
    I definitely think that the samples you mentioned would be fine. I would love to receive those samples as a gift because they're full sized products and because they are full sized I would never think that they are free samples.
    http://ptab.it/3s0kQ

Smart Canuck
    Trading Score
    25 (100%)

I would consider making stockings to put your samples in. Usually stockings have smaller sized things in them and to me it just seems to go with your sample theme better than a basket.A stocking says here are a few fun and useful things I thought you would like where a gift basket says here is a present for you and the expectations of the recipient may be higher of a gift basket. Hope this makes sense!!
    Last edited by thriftygranny; Sun, Nov 9th, 2014 at 09:17 PM.
    Silk, Ciel, GoddessDigi and 3 others like this.

Trading Score
    12 (100%)

Maybe put a clementine orange in the toe of each stocking then the samples you are providing? Besides, any leftover clementines become easy snacks for you and DH.
    Last edited by Ciel; Sun, Nov 9th, 2014 at 11:36 PM.
    GoddessDigi and thriftygranny like this.
    2021-Bring on the sunshine, sweets & online shopping.

Trading Score
    195 (100%)

I have done this the past 2 years and my family/ friends love it. I try and include a few full size items like razors, lotions, mascara or candles stuff like that from my stockpile. If it's a gift for someone I plan on spending actual cash on lol I'll add a GC or other item they wanted. It's great to bring a nice basket to the person hosting Christmas dinner or parties. Everyone knows I'm cheap they might as well benefit from it

Trading Score
    80 (100%)

I was also thinking for those we would normally just "wine gift" to give the wine inside of basket of sample goodies - seems nicer than just the wine

Smart Canuck
    Trading Score
    4 (100%)

I think if they're full sized samples like a razor, mascara or travel size samples that's fine. If it's a little foil pack of shampoo or a one count laundry/dishwasher sample IMO that's tacky.

Trading Score
    18 (100%)

I do mostly full-size samples in my baskets (razors, mascara, facial cleansing wipes, etc.) and I'll add in smaller sized samples like mouthwash and moisturizer since most people end up using stuff like that when they travel. I also throw in gift cards or movie passes to up the value when I give them as a gift. I save the small sample stuff exclusively for my DH's stocking.

Trading Score
    80 (100%)

Thanks - i do have a bunch of the tide pods and bounce little circle thingys.. was going to add those as another thing after all the full size stuff.. I also had pantene travels but can now add full sized ones (yay).. would like some cheap or free deodorants for male baskets for my nephews (also have best buy gift cards for them) i've only recently started grtting free stuff with $$ off coupons so i dont have a stockpile of toothpaste etc.. but i have some $$coupons now and will try..
    beecameron likes this.

Trading Score
    1 (100%)

You could always try a themed gift pack with the samples, eg: "weekend away", "travel" or something of that nature. Include some little dollar store items like a travel cosmetic bag, luggage tags, maybe a mini hair brush. For the travel one you could also include some laundry samples. Dress it up a little so it doesn't look like you just stuffed random samples into a cellophane bag and called it a day.

I'm going to make my cousin and aunt 'travel gift packs' as we are going away to Disney for two weeks. There is no reason for them to buy travel stuff when I'm literally swimming in it.
    luckbealady and beecameron like this.

Thread Information