User Tag List

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Like Tree19Likes

Thread: Homeschool in Canada?

CaNewbie
    Trading Score
    0 (0%)

What are the homeschool laws in Canada? Is homeschooling popular?
    This thread is currently associated with: N/A
    ROMEO likes this.

Trading Score
    37 (100%)

It is popular in my area. I can think of three moms off the tops of my head that are homeschooling. I even thought about it for our little man. We decided to send him to a private school instead. From what I understand, the regulations vary from province to province. But I could be mistaken. Anyone?
    ROMEO likes this.
    ROAK a Huggies or Pampers code to my local pregnancy centre- toys, clothes, food & diapers always needed!

Trading Score
    7 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by ashersmom09 View Post
    What are the homeschool laws in Canada? Is homeschooling popular?
    what province are you in
    ROMEO likes this.

Sith Lady and Cool Kid Darth Penguin's Avatar
    Trading Score
    20 (100%)

I know some-one in Qc who homeschools.
    ROMEO likes this.

Short answer : no Long answer : NOOOOOOOOOOO!

Welcome to the Penguinocracy..One Penguin, One vote..I am The Penguin..I have the One Vote

Trading Score
    29 (100%)

There are provincial regulations, and they vary.

Check out things with your local school division, they will be able to help you out with information so you can see the guidelines, etc. Often cities have groups of parents which meet, and there are regional and provincial conferences to share information, buy resources, etc.
    ROMEO likes this.

Trading Score
    1 (100%)

I did online homeschool for grades 10-12 here in BC. It was the best thing I ever did for myself, but I started at age 15 and was quite able to find whatever 'help' I needed elsewhere on the web. My teachers were useless, it took forever for them to get back to me on questions and our contact because of that was basically nonexistent.

HOWEVER, if you have time to dedicate to a younger child to help them do the work they're assigned until they get into the highschool/middle school ages and can figure out the online programs themselves with less supervision, I would consider the way the online curriculum works a million times better than regular school. I have no idea about regulations but if you followed an online program I'd think that all you'd have to do is prove your child is learning the material properly to stay within the good graces of whatever regulation system there is.

I always felt pressured by regular school, due dates and needless piles and piles of worksheets and homework that would just keep coming. Online school pared it down to just the necessary work and trimmed all time-filling activities. This is fantastic for kids who want to work on things that make sense and not just do stuff because there's 5 hours of each class a week and the teacher doesn't want to do a lesson plan every day so photocopied work sheets it is.

I have to warn you, though, almost every kid I've met who has been homeschooled their whole life has been weird. A lot of them were from strict religious families too, though, so that combination (undersocialization aside from with family and their own little bubble of people and being homeschooled) might be why they ended up being weird kids. Kids who stay home all the time may not experience the diversity of the world like they would going to a school, and that may hinder them in ways that one-on-one education doesn't make up for... Just something to consider.
    LisaLisaBoBisa and ROMEO like this.

Trading Score
    80 (100%)

After reading my son's report card home schooling doesn't seem so bad.. An actual comment

"He is encouraged to focus his attention on the speakr to help become more engaged during lessons"..

TO THE "SPEAKER" I say.. Stop being so damn boring already.. I'd likely fall asleep listening to you..

Anyway, such a needless list of rules for kids..

Quote Originally Posted by Chantel View Post
    I did online homeschool for grades 10-12 here in BC. It was the best thing I ever did for myself, but I started at age 15 and was quite able to find whatever 'help' I needed elsewhere on the web. My teachers were useless, it took forever for them to get back to me on questions and our contact because of that was basically nonexistent.

HOWEVER, if you have time to dedicate to a younger child to help them do the work they're assigned until they get into the highschool/middle school ages and can figure out the online programs themselves with less supervision, I would consider the way the online curriculum works a million times better than regular school. I have no idea about regulations but if you followed an online program I'd think that all you'd have to do is prove your child is learning the material properly to stay within the good graces of whatever regulation system there is.

I always felt pressured by regular school, due dates and needless piles and piles of worksheets and homework that would just keep coming. Online school pared it down to just the necessary work and trimmed all time-filling activities. This is fantastic for kids who want to work on things that make sense and not just do stuff because there's 5 hours of each class a week and the teacher doesn't want to do a lesson plan every day so photocopied work sheets it is.

I have to warn you, though, almost every kid I've met who has been homeschooled their whole life has been weird. A lot of them were from strict religious families too, though, so that combination (undersocialization aside from with family and their own little bubble of people and being homeschooled) might be why they ended up being weird kids. Kids who stay home all the time may not experience the diversity of the world like they would going to a school, and that may hinder them in ways that one-on-one education doesn't make up for... Just something to consider.
    ROMEO likes this.

Trading Score
    0 (0%)

You can check out the link. You will see what specific location you will find homeschooling >> http://homeschoolcanada.ca/canadian-homeschool-laws
    Last edited by shaneB; Tue, Nov 25th, 2014 at 01:35 AM.
    ROMEO and jenniferandcorban like this.

CaNewbie
    Trading Score
    0 (0%)

I think homeschooling is getting popular in different corners of the world and that includes Canada. Homeschooling a kid is great but there should be adequate time to do it to ensure that he will learn all the things that are needed for his age.
    ROMEO likes this.

Banned
    Trading Score
    0 (0%)

Which province are you in? different province's situation is different.
    ROMEO likes this.

CaNewbie
    Trading Score
    0 (0%)

Hi there. I run the website The Canadian Homeschooler. If you email me - thecanadianhomeschooler @ gmail - I'd be happy to send you a copy of my eBook all about How to Homeschool in Canada.

Luy
    Trading Score
    0 (0%)

You should let your kids go to school
    ROMEO likes this.

Trading Score
    12 (100%)

I am aware of some homeschooled youth and can say it does usually have to do with parents wanting to handle the provincial money per student (the more kids homeschooled, the more money per year), religious belief systems and keeping the kids in-line with what the parents expect of them. Usually it's the mother that is the year-round teacher (no substitutes and no real days off except if really ill) and driver to activities, plus grader and also religious instructor (I've heard of mandatory evening session one time per week for catechism lessons).
    The provincial education ministry sets the curriculum guidelines and there is usually a process to follow if homeschooling is desired and acquiring the student funding. From that funding, the youth and their parents also have to plan/to choose sporting and extra-curricular activities. What I have also come to know is that usually when the kids are about 12 yrs old or older, the parents also stipulate that the kids get involved in fundraising or sponsorship of a needy child abroad, with this being considered part of their church mission work. The older the youth, chances are that the youth is also doing a side job to help support the needy child's monthly money for school or food or clothing or acquiring a Bible. Community volunteering happens but not on Sundays.

Ontario
    http://www.edu.gov.on.ca/eng/documen.../whosresp.html
    http://www.edu.gov.on.ca/extra/eng/ppm/131.html (process)
    2021-Bring on the sunshine, sweets & online shopping.

CaNewbie
    Trading Score
    0 (0%)

great debate!
    For those who believe in home schooling, how would you handle the social aspect (as compared to traditional schooling)?
    ROMEO likes this.

CaNewbie
    Trading Score
    0 (0%)

I think the misconceptions that homeschoolers are unsocialized is completely unfounded. Most homeschoolers are actively involved in community groups, programs, classes, activities and other things. They aren't segregated by age level as they are in the public school system, so they get the opportunity to interact with kids and adults of all ages.

There are a lot of things people believe about homeschooling that aren't true or that are very blown out of proportion.

It's a growing education choice. And, although it's not the easiest choice, it's a very valid and exciting way to school your kids.
    ROMEO likes this.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information