• 2 Post By Midnightly
  • 2 Post By sweet sparrow
  • 1 Post By Lily369
  • 1 Post By cybfrog

Thread: Mother's get off a year?

CaNewbie
    Trading Score
    0 (0%)

Is it true that mother's get off a paid year of work after having a baby in Canada?
    This thread is currently associated with: N/A

Trading Score
    29 (100%)

Depends upon your employment and eligibility for EI

http://www.servicecanada.gc.ca/eng/s...parental.shtml
    torontogal12 likes this.

Canadian Guru
    Trading Score
    159 (100%)

You have to work at least 4 months full time, I believe
    Apply every possible promo code to your cart, at every store that you visit (and get points for cash back on top of that?). It's sweet and easy with HONEY.

Always use Ebates and get cash back at over 600 online stores! Use this link to get $5, FREE

Canadian Guru
    Trading Score
    61 (100%)

And not just Moms. Dads are eligible to take some of the leave too. My job topped up my salary for the first while, and so did my DH's. So he stayed home with us for the first five weeks, which was when I needed him most!
    Angela273 and Shwa Girl like this.

Trading Score
    0 (0%)

The Canadian government mandates both a leave and a benefits component, thelatter being administered by provincial employment insurance plans. Depending on the length of employment history and the hours worked, new mothers can take between 17 and 52 weeks of leave from their jobs. Their employers are required to accept the employees back into their jobs, or the equivalent, at the end of the mandated leave at the same rate of pay with the same employment benefits.

On top of mandating maternity leave, the government offers paid leave for one or both parents through Canada's employment insurance plan. A pregnant employee or new mother can take a paid maternity leave of up to 15 weeks.

Source:
    http://www.investopedia.com/financial-edge/0512/maternity-leave-basics-canada-vs.-the-u.s..aspx
    Shwa Girl likes this.
    Give Your Kids the Right Toys! KidKraft Canada http://www.kidstoysandstuff.com - Kids Toys and Stuff

Trading Score
    70 (100%)

if i remember right you have to have a minimum 500hours banked to qualify and you also do not get 100% of your current wage, it's usually approx 55% of your current wage up to a set maximum, some companies offer "top up" but most do not
    Angela273 and Shwa Girl like this.
    When life hands you Edward Cullen...throw him back and demand Eric Northman....

Trading Score
    7 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by Midnightly View Post
    if i remember right you have to have a minimum 500hours banked to qualify and you also do not get 100% of your current wage, it's usually approx 55% of your current wage up to a set maximum, some companies offer "top up" but most do not
    Yes. Between 55 and 60%- depends on the employer.
    But not easy to live on it. The baby needs lots of stuff and some have to adjust their lifestyle.
    If you have a pension or group retirement plan, you can't contribute when you are off on leave.
    When you come back to work you can buy back your pension money or group retirement plan money. Buying back can be stressful too since some people don't have much extra to contribute.

Contradiction in progress sweet sparrow's Avatar
    Trading Score
    46 (100%)

Maternity leave is 15 weeks or mom and dad can share 35 weeks for a maximum of 50 weeks between both parents. You must have worked at least 600 hours before you take maternity leave so that's between 3 - 4 months of an 8 hour working day. Pay is capped at 55% of a maximum of $48,600 for 2014, which is $514 per week. On top of that, this amount is eligible to be taxed (and taxes are deducted before they give it to you), so you'll get $400-something per week for the maximum.

Also, there's a limit to how much money you can earn during that period before they claw back the same amount from your pay dollar-for-dollar. It's pretty strict.
    Angela273 and mellissa74 like this.

Banned
    Trading Score
    0 (0%)

I think it depends on your details. For example, your job, your salary and so on.
    Jennifer1992 likes this.

CaNewbie
    Trading Score
    0 (0%)

In Quebec you can choose Between 6months and 1 year. If you choose 1 year, you are paid 50% of the last yeay salary.
    Jennifer1992 likes this.

Luy
    Trading Score
    0 (0%)

Cool ! Mother of the yearr !

CaNewbie
    Trading Score
    0 (0%)

does anyone know how it works for brand new parents...can the father take ei-covered paternity leave right when the child is born or does is it the mother first? i'm wondering if the mother can use her vacation first while the father takes pat leave (in the event the father has no vacation left)

Thread Information