• 2 Post By anastasia1009
  • 2 Post By spanishpoet
  • 1 Post By Ciel
  • 1 Post By anastasia1009

Thread: Self-Employed Maternity Benefits - Ontario

Junior Canuck
    Trading Score
    194 (100%)

Does anyone know much about the self-employed EI maternity benefits? I just started a new business only to get pregnant (quite unplanned) a month later. I immediately applied for the benefit, since I have 60 days to withdraw my application without fee. In my reading, I've learned that you need to pay into the program for a year before being able to collect the EI. Furthermore, you need to continue paying into the program for as long as the business is in business. I really have a hard time thinking that it will be worth it, especially since I won't get a good 6 months of benefits since I applied too late. I suppose if we have future children it could be worth it, but if this is the last, it won't be. Hopefully this isn't too rambly, but I would love other people's input and experiences with the program to help me make a decision.
    This thread is currently associated with: N/A
    Ciel likes this.
    Want to learn how to coupon? Check out this ultimate guide to couponing in Canada!

Love Swagbucks? Check out Treasure Trooper! Same idea, but also has a chat room and pays to play with dragons! Pays in USD! Click here for a $5 bonus when you sign up!

Trading Score
    12 (100%)

Sorry, I don't know the maternity benefits part of self-employed EI contributions. Only remember that once you decide to contribute to EI premiums as self-employed, you have to keep on doing so.
    Not sure how much is riding on getting the benefits to fulfill any financial commitments to the business you have unless it's all self-financed.
    http://www.servicecanada.gc.ca/eng/s...gibility.shtml

At least you know you will be able to get the child benefits after the birth is registered.
    http://www.cra-arc.gc.ca/bnfts/menu-eng.html

Like someone else inquired about Quebec benefits once child is born, if the parents have employment income, there is a minimum level required to access a benefit from a program.
    lecale and spanishpoet like this.
    2021-Bring on the sunshine, sweets & online shopping.

Junior Canuck
    Trading Score
    194 (100%)

Thanks for your input Ciel
    Ciel likes this.
    Want to learn how to coupon? Check out this ultimate guide to couponing in Canada!

Love Swagbucks? Check out Treasure Trooper! Same idea, but also has a chat room and pays to play with dragons! Pays in USD! Click here for a $5 bonus when you sign up!

Trading Score
    26 (100%)

there is another forums that starts with red..look under careers and there is a sticky forum for EI. Ther are a few people that currently work for Ei and they are always helpful.
    Ciel and spanishpoet like this.

Junior Canuck
    Trading Score
    194 (100%)

Wow! People over there aren't anywhere near as friendly or supportive as here! Thanks for the resource though
    Natalka and lecale like this.

Trading Score
    12 (100%)

There are some friendlies. Probably takes some posting effort to see who they are.
    spanishpoet likes this.
    2021-Bring on the sunshine, sweets & online shopping.

Trading Score
    26 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by Ciel View Post
    There are some friendlies. Probably takes some posting effort to see who they are.
    or Private Message someone called clsea I think at the other forums. he has been always helpful to me and gave me good information when I applied for EI when I moved to Regina
    spanishpoet likes this.

Junior Canuck
    Trading Score
    194 (100%)

Thank you!

Thread Information