• 1 Post By thomaservine
  • 1 Post By TrueNorthTreasures
  • 2 Post By Britanica
  • 2 Post By couponier

Thread: Trading seeds?

CaLoonie
    Trading Score
    31 (100%)

This past summer I started seriously gardening. I grew a plethora of vegetables and really found it to be not only great for my mind, but I could so much sun! I managed to harvest some seed from some of the vegetables I grew this year and was wondering if any other SCer's did the same?

Would anyone be interested in doing a seed trade, or a seed swap?

The varieties of vegetables I have are not rare or anything like that but I think it might be fun to trade some seeds etc.

I'm starting my seeds indoors this year so I can have a better growing season. I'll hopefully start planting my seeds right after xmas, mid to late February!

Let me know if any of you are interested!
    This thread is currently associated with: N/A
    TrueNorthTreasures and ticul like this.

Smart Canuck
    Trading Score
    5 (100%)

Oh, shoot! I just spotted your post! I just did a big swap, but I am going to send you some information on a fantastic Canadian seed swap, the one I just participated in.

(Canadian Seed Trading Thread)

http://forum.smartcanucks.ca/342263-...adians-canada/
    Last edited by TrueNorthTreasures; Thu, Dec 18th, 2014 at 09:27 AM.
    ROMEO and ticul like this.
    Unique items and great deals to be found on the Halifax Cat Rescue Society auction page.
    Love snail mail? Try
    Postcrossing!

CaNewbie
    Trading Score
    0 (0%)

What is the procedure of trading or swap seeding I heard about this first time with the help of smartcanucks.Will you please elaborate little bit more?
    ticul likes this.

Smart Canuck
    Trading Score
    5 (100%)

Hi there,

Usually, people start by making a list of the kinds of seeds they would like to have (their "wish list"), and another list of seeds that they already have available to trade for the seeds they want (their "trade list").

Then you would join a seed-trading group. There are many online, examples are GardenWeb (the Canadian Garden Exchange thread), groups on Yahoo, groups on Facebook, etc. There are also seed trading groups that you can join in person, such as the "Seedy Saturday" events that are held in many cities. To see a listing of Seedy Saturday events, check out this link:

http://www.seeds.ca/events

If you have joined an online group to trade seeds, you would post the list of seeds you want, and the list of seeds you have to trade. If you are just starting at gardening and do not have any seeds to trade, that is okay. Often people are happy to give you the seeds you want if you send them a SASE (self-addressed stamped envelope), a SASBE (self-addressed stamped bubble envelope), or stamps.

If you do have extra seeds to trade, package them up in little plastic bags or small paper envelopes. Label each one clearly with:

• the type seeds
    • the year you bought or harvested them
    • colour of the flower or vegetable
    • whether they are heirloom, open-pollinated, or hybrid (if you know)
    • days-to-maturity (if you know)

If you are doing a trade with someone and you are sending them large seeds (such as squash, peas, corn, or beans), it is much better to mail them in a bubble envelope than in a paper envelope. Large seeds can be easily damaged in the mail if they are sent in a paper envelope. If someone has agreed to send you large seeds, it is a good idea to confirm with them in advance that they will be mailing them to you in a bubble envelope.

I hope this helps!
    Last edited by TrueNorthTreasures; Tue, Mar 3rd, 2015 at 12:51 PM.
    ticul likes this.

Trading Score
    0 (0%)

This is a fantastic idea! I want to start up a garden myself. I got some seeds from my parents garden last fall so I hope to start one up in May :D
    Life isn't about finding yourself. Life is about creating yourself.

CaLoonie
    Trading Score
    31 (100%)

This is great! TrueNorth, I'll be sending you a PM this evening!

Thread Information