User Tag List

Page 6 of 10 FirstFirst ... 4 5 6 7 8 ... LastLast
Like Tree272Likes

Thread: Getting rid of cable...?

Banned
    Trading Score
    0 (0%)

I have not had cable since 2006. For Kodi (formerly XBMC back in the day). These add-ons are a must:

Fusion

Xavi - X

Genesis

1Channel

Veetle

SHOUTcast 2

Quote Originally Posted by Candini View Post
    Good to know.
    It's not but when I first got it, it was a great deal. With koodo, I have the lowest package its all I need
    Angela273 and Ciel like this.

Smart Canuck
    Trading Score
    0 (0%)

It should be well noted that Kodi (aka XBMC) is not for the casual user. It's great for all these tech-minded folk that I see posting about it (self included). But for the average user, it's NOT very user friendly to set up and get going the way many of you are suggesting and it's not really the reliable product to be seen as a replacement to a provider-based service.

For one: The hardware options are not entirely simple pre-packaged "Kodi" devices. They are re-worked versions of other devices that need some sort of tweaking and install to get going with Kodi. You either need an older jail-broken Apple TV, or a Google/Android device with the Kodi app (and somehow connected to your TV if you can work that out)... a PC with the Kodi software installed, also connected to your TV, or one of these RaspberryPi units (a tech-lovers homemade mini kit) that MIGHT come "pre-installed" with Kodi.

Secondly, out of the gate and by default, the "legitimate" uses for Kodi are very limited. If you just download and install Kodi with no add-ons or modules, then you do have access to some services. However, you're streaming very old, very dated, and very select and limited amount of content. Granted, it DOES have potential if more content owners would get on board -- but why would they?

On it's own, and by default, it's not really worth bothering with the setup, install, and configuring of the software -- on ANY device.

Next up, in order to use Kodi the way this thread is suggesting, you need to be savvy enough to find and download modules that will search, stream, and offer you the content you're looking for. Whether it's first-run TV programs, movies, sports, etc. Doing so is NOT at all intuitive, nor for the faint of heart. You REALLY have to know what you're doing to find these modules, to configure them, and then navigate them. Fine for me. I'm a tech-minded person, but folks like my girlfriend and my brother (who can both use a computer and a tablet just fine) would throw down the remote and not be bothered.

Thing is, you don't just down run down to Best Buy and buy a Kodi device that's ready to go when you get it home and plug it in. There's a lot of involvement in setting it up before you even get started.

That being said, should you achieve getting over those setup hurdles... the modules that ARE available to access more "desired content" offer access to several unreliable, not to mention MOSTLY illegitimate sources. The content found through most of these add-ons are nothing more than bootlegged material akin to (if not identical to) that you find on torrent sites. I mean, I'll be damned if being able to watch The Martian on my TV (while it's still in theatres) using Kodi isn't illegal to some degree. I know it's far from legit, and as such, these offerings and services come and go like thieves in the night, with no predictability whatsoever. So finding what you want, when you want it, can quickly become a lesson in aggravation. And i'm sure, like with torrents, it's only a matter of time before the content owners start sending out cease-and-desist notices for these streams as well. (which is a first-step to litigation)

Most people want to turn on the TV and watch something. They dont want to hunt for their content for 30 minutes... only to try several sources before they find a good quality, reliable option... and MAYBE get through half of it before it cuts out.

Those with a good tech-minded mentality who can put up with these quirks, who also don't mind struggling a bit to find what they want to watch, and can overcome these hurdles, Kodi is certainly an option. But to someone who is accustomed to the ease of use and reliability of a provided service, Kodi is a far cry on the other end of the spectrum. It's certainly not a plug-and-play device. Not by a long shot.
    Last edited by bhlombardy; Sun, Nov 1st, 2015 at 08:53 AM.
    couponlady, 4sure5, dededi and 1 others like this.

Banned
    Trading Score
    0 (0%)

I watched "the last witch hunter" yesterday in the comfort of my own home without a box or using Kodi. The quality was flawless and didn't have to go hunt (no pun intended) for it
    Linda Evans likes this.

Smart Canuck
    Trading Score
    0 (0%)

Quote Originally Posted by beachdown View Post
    I watched "the last witch hunter" yesterday in the comfort of my own home without a box or using Kodi. The quality was flawless and didn't have to go hunt (no pun intended) for it
    Sure... and you're one of the tech-minded people I referenced in my post.

And of course, you did this legally? Not likely, unless you live next to a drive-in with your picture window facing the screen.

Contrary to what several might think, watching content legally and legitimately is a factor for some... Just saying. It had to be mentioned with all the prevous mentions to Kodi and what it can do for the people who were originally inquiring about cutting the cord.
    4sure5, dededi and Davetherave like this.

CaNewbie
    Trading Score
    0 (0%)

Quote Originally Posted by Brad View Post
    I've been thinking of signing up with vmedia, they provide fairly cheap cable packages and have cheap theme pack addons.

Also there is this article that says by March 2016 the cable companies must all provide a basic cable package for a max of $25/month
    I was with VMedia up until March of this year. Their TV quality wasn't particularly good. HD sports, in particular, suffered from bitrate issues. I mean, granted, it was hella cheap... But don't expect the same quality of broadcast as you get with your OTA antenna. They may have improved some since, but since they have to stream it over their regular internet pipes (oh, and you have to get VMedia internet too, to get their TV service), the quality is never going to be as good as it is with the big guys (or with OTA). And yeah, those $25 basic cable packages are going to be VERY minimal (I'm guessing, what you can already get with your OTA antenna), and the a la carte options for channels that you want are not going to be cheap, either. Right now they are cheaper because of bundling requirements. Once those are taken away? Prices are going to jump quite a bit.
    dededi and Davetherave like this.

Trading Score
    1 (100%)

i tried watching this on kodi...qaulity was Crap! where did u get your version? (if u dont mind me asking)

Trading Score
    0 (0%)

I live in Toronto, just attached a Clearview2 OTA (Over The Air)antenna, get 10 good channels stable enough to record, 10 desirable channels but too unstable to reliably record, and 10 remaining channels that are undesirable for various reasons.
    I have a Sony smart TV bought new in 2011, but they discontinued their TV Guide support for this model in 2013. Many have complained on the Sony site about the discontinuation of the EPG but Sony doesn't seem to care.
    I have Windows 7 Media Centre that could also previously provide an EPG, as well as a TV recording function, but Windows discontinued support for the EPG feature earlier this year.
    So 2 big guys, Sony and Windows, don't seem to want to continue provide subscription free TV Guides as they previously promised. So they bailed on their customers.
    I don't want to pay subscription fees for an EPG.
    I'm not sure how I'm going to end up recording my TV shows, but how do I at least get a free EPG to show up on my TV screen (yes I know they are online, but I would at least want one on the TV screen.)
    I know some boxes will provide a TV onscreen EPG when you set up, but what do you use as a default in case the company stops their service?
    For now, I would like to put up an EPG on the TV screen for now, while I figure what kind of recorder/system to use.
    Also any suggestions for a good system to record shows from OTA in HD? I'm not much of a techie, so the simpler the suggestions the better For you brilliant techie types out there, if you would please dumb down your answers for me, I would greatly appreciate it

Trading Score
    26 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by Linda Evans View Post
    i tried watching this on kodi...qaulity was Crap! where did u get your version? (if u dont mind me asking)

I tried too - I wanted to cut cable when we moved to our new place and got the fastest internet. But we got an android box and I am tech savy - got it all set up but it wasn't great. So we went back to cable and have netflix plus shomi.

Junior Canuck
    Trading Score
    0 (0%)

I found Kodi works best with 30Mbps or faster download speeds. Your computer needs to be fast too for the best results. My 7 year old laptop doesn't work as good as my gaming rig.

Banned
    Trading Score
    0 (0%)

Hmmmm..that must add up to a lot each month when you add your cellphone bills to that. No need for netflix personally, as you can get al the shows the next day (not streaming) without any commercials and in good 1080p quality

Quote Originally Posted by anastasia1009 View Post
    I tried too - I wanted to cut cable when we moved to our new place and got the fastest internet. But we got an android box and I am tech savy - got it all set up but it wasn't great. So we went back to cable and have netflix plus shomi.

Trading Score
    0 (0%)

Likewise....your wallet / purse appreciate it too. I watch selective shows and movies online from a particular site that has a wicked quality, no lagging, commercials removed from the shows.

People can also get an Android box that is already setup to stream shows and movies.
    Can you let me know the name of this wicked quality site? PM me if you must. Do these sites move around?

Banned
    Trading Score
    0 (0%)

Site does not move around.....Movies, TV shoes, Apps, Etc get uploaded on a daily basis and it's not like torrent.

Quote Originally Posted by kava5 View Post
    Can you let me know the name of this wicked quality site? PM me if you must. Do these sites move around?

Junior Canuck
    Trading Score
    0 (0%)

Here's more info on Kodi (XBMC)

Look to YouTube for howto videos on addon's.
    barbis9, dededi and Davetherave like this.

Frosh Canuck
    Trading Score
    0 (0%)

Quote Originally Posted by xlxo View Post
    Here's more info on Kodi (XBMC)

Look to YouTube for howto videos on addon's.
    >>

step 1: buy kodi box
    step 2: follow the instuctions here - https://www.tvaddons.ag/install-kodi/
    step 3: kick back and enjoy
    dededi likes this.

Trading Score
    0 (0%)

get a tv box...a chinese one is good enough, have kodi running and you won't ever need cable

Page 6 of 10 FirstFirst ... 4 5 6 7 8 ... LastLast

Thread Information