User Tag List

Like Tree2Likes
  • 1 Post By tictacoh
  • 1 Post By LimeFizzy

Thread: need help with a decision

Smart Canuck
    Trading Score
    0 (0%)

Hi Everyone: here is my dilema: my nieces live in Atlanta, dsil said they want make up for christmas. I was thinking of getting the urban Decay Naked palette. I can order from Sephora have it shipped free and it is $49 each or I can buy at Shoppers for $64 purchase separately on Tuesday when there is a 18,500 points wus $75 in store ( add in a few extra things to make up the $75 and get 37,000 points and then pay to ship which i am guessing is about $20 bucks. I guess taxes would be less at Sephora.com as well?

this makes my poor brain hurt. any thoughts would be appreciated!
    This thread is currently associated with: Guess, Sephora, Shoppers Drug Mart

Trading Score
    0 (0%)

I would buy it from Sephora (go through the Air Miles Shops portal to earn Air Miles). I haven't done the math, but yes, taxes would be less from Sephora.

Plus I don't like being 'forced' to buy unplanned items at SDM to meet a certain threshold to earn points. The same goes for valuating SDM points during reg/bonus redemption days. Prices are always inflated and you will never get their true value unless you're only buying multiples of loss leaders (which is nearly impossible since they won't 100% match your needs and SDM has a limit of 4 of the sale price).

You also need to consider your time. Preparing the kits for mailing takes time. Waiting in line at the postal outlet takes time. Getting to the outlet itself takes time.
    Mags likes this.

CaLoonie
    Trading Score
    0 (0%)

As much as I love SDM...Sephora deal is better considering everything above.
    Mags likes this.

Smart Canuck
    Trading Score
    13 (100%)

Not much saving buying from SDM, plus if the palette got damage during shipping you're out of luck, whereas Sephora can exchange damage items.

Senior Canuck
    Trading Score
    0 (0%)

I would buy from Sephora but just check on their taxes and duties charged. Depending on the products, they may charge extra for duties. Also you could use Rebates and they always have 8% rebates.

Trading Score
    1 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by momo28 View Post
    I would buy from Sephora but just check on their taxes and duties charged. Depending on the products, they may charge extra for duties. Also you could use Rebates and they always have 8% rebates.
    I think OP means buy from US Sephora and have it shipped directly to the recipients. There would be no duties if it never left the US.

Smart Canuck
    Trading Score
    4 (100%)

I would get it from Sephora, that way if they don't like it for whatever reason they can exchange it for something else(Sephora has the best return policy!).

Trading Score
    0 (0%)

I would go with Sephora also for a few other reasons. 1) You can get the Sephora beauty points for your purchase, which can go towards some amazing samples, 2) OR your niece can get the beauty points added to HER card, if you don't have one (my bf did this for me too!) and 3) When you purchase online, there's usually a plethora of checkout codes available right now to get you tonsss of samples sent with your purchase. I'm sure it'd a fun addition to the gift itself!

Smart Canuck
    Trading Score
    0 (0%)

Thanks everyone...where do I get the checkout codes?

Trading Score
    98 (100%)

Unfortunately, it's only one checkout code per order, but the best one at the moment is SEASONSET. It's harder to find than the others, not advertised. You get a cute little bag with really big samples of great products.

I just happened to have placed an order at Sephora this morning, so I did all of my research beforehand

P.S.: Go through ebates.ca!!
    Last edited by MTLcouponer; Tue, Nov 18th, 2014 at 06:31 PM.

Smart Canuck
    Trading Score
    1 (100%)

I know this may not sound like a great idea, but why don't you send them a gift card so they can buy what they want and it may go on sale before or after Christmas..I know Sephora just had 20% off everything last week-end...My daughters bought a lot of things..

Thread Information