User Tag List

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
Like Tree64Likes

Thread: Do women pay more than men for similar products?

Trading Score
    1 (100%)

Just read this article on Money Sense, about gender-base price discrimination in France: http://www.moneysense.ca/must-read/d...milar-products

The group took its cue from a California state government study that found American women on average pay $1,300 more than men every year for identical products. Consumer Reports found similar disparities in 2010.
    I thought it has been made illegal in Toronto for hair salons to charge different prices according to genders, but I noticed it on a First Choice Haircutters flyers that they are still doing such practice. (In NYC, they charge by length and style.) What I really don't understand is dry cleaners. Few years ago, there was an investigation on CBC Marketplace. A woman and a man brought in the same shirt and the woman was charged 40% more. When questioned, the owner said their machines are made for men's shirts and thus more laborious to press women's shirts. When told their undercover agents brought in the same shirt, he just pushed the camera away.

Should we start a campaign on S.C. like Georgette Sand? Let's post pictures showing price discriminations. What's your experience?
    This thread is currently associated with: N/A
    greeny likes this.

Trading Score
    0 (0%)

The clerks at the store should have been able to figure out it was a man's/unisex shirt and priced accordingly.

Senior Canuck
    Trading Score
    0 (0%)

Women absolutely pay more than men. It may not be in actual price, but in unit price. Women may pay the same as men for a product but get one less, or an ounce less etc. I had stopped buying women's razors a long time ago and was buying men's ones. They were typically cheaper and lasted longer but I recently found a woman's razor that lasts for over a year (it's the Schick Hydro Silk in case anyone was interested).

I would also like to know why women still have to pay tax on feminine hygiene products. No matter what type you buy, they're still a necessity.
    EvilTofu, greeny, lecale and 6 others like this.

Canadian Guru
    Trading Score
    159 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by trishka View Post

I would also like to know why women still have to pay tax on feminine hygiene products. No matter what type you buy, they're still a necessity.
    I agree this annoys me. Don't try and tell me it isn't a necessity. What do you think happens when women go without? EWWWWWWWWW
    EvilTofu, greeny, lecale and 6 others like this.
    Apply every possible promo code to your cart, at every store that you visit (and get points for cash back on top of that?). It's sweet and easy with HONEY.

Always use Ebates and get cash back at over 600 online stores! Use this link to get $5, FREE

Canadian Genius
    Trading Score
    51 (100%)

Last edited by lecale; Sun, Jan 18th, 2015 at 09:40 AM.

Trading Score
    1 (100%)

CBC Marketplace just did a segment on the price difference between male and female versions of products this past Friday
    http://www.cbc.ca/marketplace/episod...e-of-the-sexes
    torontogal12 and terry2144 like this.

Trading Score
    1 (100%)

On the same token though, has anyone noticed the spike in products 'for men'? I think companies realized that they were making a premium on their products for women and looked at how they could do the same for men.

In decades past, everyone in the family could use the same soap or lotion. Now there is "FOR MEN" anything and everything in a more masculine package. Black and/or silver instead of white packaging, with bolder fonts. They might add a cologne-y scent, but aside from that, the product is identical to their unisex version, or even their more feminine version. And when not labeled specifically "FOR MEN", companies add "SPORT" to everything to make it sound more male-acceptable.

The fact of that matter is, men in today's society are so scared of looking weak or feminine that they can't just use ANY body wash or ANY lotion or ANY freakin' shampoo, god forbid someone found out. There is even toothpaste for men now.

The whole thing is just a massive gouge. Women pay more for products, and then they gear men towards buying male-specific products that are no different than what their wife is using, but instead of buying one product and sharing, that household now buys two.

EDIT: The previous poster's link explains that fairly well, too.
    Last edited by Chantel; Tue, Nov 25th, 2014 at 07:57 PM.

Senior Canuck
    Trading Score
    0 (0%)

Is there really toothpaste for men?!?! Gendered marketing is getting ridiculous and I have noticed there are a lot of 'for men' products out there.

Senior Canuck
    Trading Score
    0 (0%)

I had seen this image a while ago but I feel like its pretty relevant to this post (fyi has a curse word in it for those who don't like that language)

http://themetapicture.com/deodorants-should-be-unisex/
    greeny, torontogal12 and terry2144 like this.

Frosh Canuck
    Trading Score
    0 (0%)

Quote Originally Posted by trishka View Post
    Is there really toothpaste for men?!?! Gendered marketing is getting ridiculous and I have noticed there are a lot of 'for men' products out there.

I actually saw a pen that was advertised exclusively for women. I can't remember the name of the company. Now someone please tell me why women need a special "pen" different from men. Just ridiculous...oh and yes it was pink of course !
    trishka, toronto166 and terry2144 like this.

Trading Score
    12 (100%)

End the pink products parade!! There's a book about pinkwashing...
    In Ontario, feminine hygiene products get charged one of the two taxes but not both. It's GST you have to pay, not PST. http://www.ehow.com/about_6586203_pr...-ontario_.html
    terry2144 likes this.
    2021-Bring on the sunshine, sweets & online shopping.

Senior Canuck
    Trading Score
    0 (0%)

Quote Originally Posted by greeny View Post
    I actually saw a pen that was advertised exclusively for women. I can't remember the name of the company. Now someone please tell me why women need a special "pen" different from men. Just ridiculous...oh and yes it was pink of course !
    Bic came out with a pen 'for her.' I remember reading the amazon reviews and was in tears.
    terry2144 likes this.

Trading Score
    0 (0%)

I'm a guy and I buy women's hair dye because the men's hair dye is 3-4 times more expensive.

Canadian Genius
    Trading Score
    51 (100%)

Last edited by lecale; Sat, Jan 17th, 2015 at 12:05 PM.
    toronto166 likes this.

CaNewbie
    Trading Score
    0 (0%)

Quote Originally Posted by torontogal12 View Post
    I agree this annoys me. Don't try and tell me it isn't a necessity. What do you think happens when women go without? EWWWWWWWWW
    I could't agree more. without the faminine hygiene, the earth will get into a big mass. it is necessity so women by it repeatly.
    torontogal12 likes this.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread Information