User Tag List

CaNewbie
    Trading Score
    0 (0%)

Hi, I would like to hear from your experience before I make a decision for my son. He is currently in JK and as of Grade 1 he will have the option of continuing his education in the same school with no change or same school with added enriched program or go to a different school that has dedicated gifted program class. We are in Ontario (Oakville) and going to a public school. I will most probably choose between enriched program and a different school but I am a bit reluctant regarding how efficient is the gifted program for such a young age within the public school system. I think up until recent years it would only start in grade 3. What do they do different in these programs and is it really useful? I heard conflicting opinions such as.. it made me just get lazier (but this was many years ago though) or.. we just had more homework to do. Does anyone have a recent experience in young age gifted program, preferably in Ontario?
    Thanks!
    This thread is currently associated with: N/A

Trading Score
    68 (100%)

I am also in Oakville. My son (now in Grade 9) was identifed when they only tested in grade 4. We opted to move him from his home school to the dedicated gifted program. The nice thing was he was 10 so he was able to be involved in the choices we had to make. Socially this was the best thing for him. Gifted kids are a different & dont always fit in. If you have a gifty you get it. Like any program there was good and bad, but I would still do it if we had to choose today (DH may not agree). I am not sure how I feel about such an early identification, but you are not committed if the contained program does not work he can go back to his home school. I am also sure you can enter the program later as well. The critical thing is to have the IEP in place. There is an association of gifted families that may be able to offer insight as well. As my son will remind you gifted does not =smart in everything. He has chosen to return to what is considered his home highschool. But we are lucky in that at least 3 of the HS in Oakville have the contained program so he does a blended day with some classes all gifted and other classes mixed. It will make the transition easier (we hope). Feel free to PM me if you have anymore questions.
    Friends don't let real friends pay full price.

CaNewbie
    Trading Score
    0 (0%)

Quote Originally Posted by lilo0003 View Post
    I am also in Oakville. My son (now in Grade 9) was identifed when they only tested in grade 4. We opted to move him from his home school to the dedicated gifted program. The nice thing was he was 10 so he was able to be involved in the choices we had to make. Socially this was the best thing for him. Gifted kids are a different & dont always fit in. If you have a gifty you get it. Like any program there was good and bad, but I would still do it if we had to choose today (DH may not agree). I am not sure how I feel about such an early identification, but you are not committed if the contained program does not work he can go back to his home school. I am also sure you can enter the program later as well. The critical thing is to have the IEP in place. There is an association of gifted families that may be able to offer insight as well. As my son will remind you gifted does not =smart in everything. He has chosen to return to what is considered his home highschool. But we are lucky in that at least 3 of the HS in Oakville have the contained program so he does a blended day with some classes all gifted and other classes mixed. It will make the transition easier (we hope). Feel free to PM me if you have anymore questions.
    Hi,

Much appreciated your insight, you perfectly understood my biggest issue is that I have to make a choice for him and can't rely on his opinion at this age. Besides, even once he's in the program, he won't be able to compare or give me a valuable insight on what works better for him.

I would definitely give it a try in some way and I feel enriched program would be a smoother transition. Socially he's not the greatest since he tends to be a show-runner but at the same time craves for peer interaction. He might feel harder to make new friends in a completely new environment as well.

But I guess what I would like to know is the 'curriculum' or approach difference between an enriched program and a dedicated gifted program. As you mentioned, your son tried both and I guess no one case is the same.. what works for one might not for another.

Thanks again for your feedback!
    R

Trading Score
    68 (100%)

the currilculum is the same, its the style of teaching that changes. They are far more indivualized to each child, there is less structure which can be hard for some but we found in grade 4 he was just coasting as school was boring where as the identifcation meant the teacher knew where to challenge him. I found there was lot of group work and this is hard on the independant learner.
    My son has kept the friends he made while in the contained program even though they all attend different highschools & he is making new friends. If you move him to a new program all the kids are new and making new friends. its not like putting him in a new class where the relationships are formed.
    Friends don't let real friends pay full price.

Luy
    Trading Score
    0 (0%)

Yup!

Thread Information