User Tag List

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast
Like Tree132Likes

Thread: No "Stuff" Christmas gift ideas

Canadian Guru
    Trading Score
    159 (100%)

@Natalka @Ciel believe it or not, its difficult to donate things in downtown Toronto. Places either only accept at Christmas, have very strict parameters or want cash only, so it is not the best option, as sad as it is. I do donate unwanted Christmas gifts but end up having to store them up for an entire year to donate them for next year's Christmas. I have a friend who is on maternity leave and just bought a house in Hamilton so a lot of my duplicates will go to her. I just feel bad that some items I have to keep and bring out whenever the gift giver comes to visit, when someone else could have much more use for the item.

Also feel bad donating an item that the gift giver specifically chose for someone (in this case, me). That was their intention and I don't want to mess with that

@trishka I once received a tiger adoption kit when I was a kid. Lots of fun, and it included tickets to the zoo to visit the tiger.

I went to the Aquarium on the weekend and both kids and adults seem to love it. I think museums are a great way to have fun, be educational, (and accumulate less stuff LOL)
    Last edited by torontogal12; Tue, Dec 2nd, 2014 at 11:54 AM.
    Angela273, Ciel, macw1960 and 1 others like this.
    Apply every possible promo code to your cart, at every store that you visit (and get points for cash back on top of that?). It's sweet and easy with HONEY.

Always use Ebates and get cash back at over 600 online stores! Use this link to get $5, FREE

Trading Score
    0 (0%)

I too have received things I may never use. Although it's the thought that counts. If it's mentioned they would like to purchase a gift, I suggest a donation to a women's shelter or animal shelter in my name. Or give a couple of suggestions for gift cards. I find gift cards handy because you purchase what you like. Chocolates, nuts, homemade goodies are good too. I don't expect or ask others to buy me a gift. If they ask, I suggest a few ideas.
    ROMEO, Angela273, Ciel and 2 others like this.

Trading Score
    1 (100%)

I always just ask for gift cards and snacks I don't usually buy for myself. When I was a kid I used to ask Santa for a can of cherry pie filling every year, or an actual pie. Never got it, LOL (and now I understand why; 'Santa' had to deal with me all day and after a can of liquid sugar, I would have likely been a little too much to handle).

I completely agree with gift cards or consumables as the best no 'stuff' gifts to give.
    ROMEO, Angela273, macw1960 and 3 others like this.

Senior Canuck
    Trading Score
    0 (0%)

Quote Originally Posted by toban View Post
    I too have received things I may never use. Although it's the thought that counts. If it's mentioned they would like to purchase a gift, I suggest a donation to a women's shelter or animal shelter in my name. Or give a couple of suggestions for gift cards. I find gift cards handy because you purchase what you like. Chocolates, nuts, homemade goodies are good too. I don't expect or ask others to buy me a gift. If they ask, I suggest a few ideas.
    Interestingly enough, I read an article this morning about how about $1 billion dollars worth of gift cards go unused each year (can't remember what country this number was from). I think the important thing with gift cards is to get them one from somewhere they'll use or even a mall gift card from one they frequent.
    ROMEO, Angela273, macw1960 and 3 others like this.

Trading Score
    321 (100%)

Charity calendars are also good ideas too as the recipient has a chance of winning money and everyone needs a calendar.

No act of kindness, no matter how small, is ever forgotten...Aesop

Trading Score
    346 (100%)

That is a good idea. Often some small charities do this as their fundraiser - in our case street cats. Most cat lovers like it and like that it helps a good cause.

Quote Originally Posted by macw1960 View Post
    Charity calendars are also good ideas too as the recipient has a chance of winning money and everyone needs a calendar.
    ROMEO, lecale and torontogal12 like this.
    Extra cash here - earn by searching/watching videos/doing offers on swagbucks - it's a legit site and pays reliably.

Already do swagbucks?try Instagc or pm me for invite codes for Gifthulk.

Banned
    Trading Score
    0 (0%)

I have many stuffs like this, too. It's very difficult to say politely that you don't need the stuff to those people not really close to you. The real friend can always know you well and send you a gift that you really need or want. Usually, if I'm not very close to the guy, I send him something good to eat, or to play with, like a dinner free in a restaurant or a ticket of a very good film on weekend. You can do first like this , then as time goes by, I think people will know what they should give as a gift for you. For those close to us, they can always send something necessary, don't worry about that.
    ROMEO and torontogal12 like this.

Canadian Guru
    Trading Score
    159 (100%)

I read on the blog that there is a discount code for 20% off Aquarium tickets in Toronto. DH received these last year as a no stuff Xmas gift and we really enjoyed going. Kids were bouncing around with joy in there. Great option if you're still looking for a non-stuff gift

Me and my bro will be going to the World Juniors Hockey championship. Team Canada is playing in Montreal this year so other teams are playing in Toronto. If you don't care about the team, tickets can be had very cheap on resale sites (I'm talking $10)
    Last edited by torontogal12; Mon, Dec 22nd, 2014 at 10:03 AM.
    ROMEO, Angela273, lecale and 1 others like this.
    Apply every possible promo code to your cart, at every store that you visit (and get points for cash back on top of that?). It's sweet and easy with HONEY.

Always use Ebates and get cash back at over 600 online stores! Use this link to get $5, FREE

Canadian Guru
    Trading Score
    54 (100%)

I bought Wonderland Season passes for gifts! Now we have summer plans. And can just hit the waterpark for a change. I think the kids will love especially my teen since it was nice that his friend has a pass and came with us when we went once this past summer.
    ROMEO, Angela273, lecale and 2 others like this.

Canadian Guru
    Trading Score
    54 (100%)

Where do I go to find $10 tickets? My hockey player would love this.

Quote Originally Posted by torontogal12 View Post
    I read on the blog that there is a discount code for 20% off Aquarium tickets in Toronto. DH received these last year as a no stuff Xmas gift and we really enjoyed going. Kids were bouncing around with joy in there. Great option if you're still looking for a non-stuff gift

Me and my bro will be going to the World Juniors Hockey championship. Team Canada is playing in Montreal this year so other teams are playing in Toronto. If you don't care about the team, tickets can be had very cheap on resale sites (I'm talking $10)
    ROMEO, Angela273 and lecale like this.

Canadian Guru
    Trading Score
    159 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by Frugalbigmama View Post
    Where do I go to find $10 tickets? My hockey player would love this.
    Look on the resale websites like StubHub or Ticketsnow. I just saw some for $6. For the not-often-winner teams like Denmark or Switzerland
    Last edited by torontogal12; Mon, Dec 22nd, 2014 at 03:27 PM.
    ROMEO likes this.

Canadian Guru
    Trading Score
    54 (100%)

ok thanks
    ROMEO likes this.

Canadian Guru
    Trading Score
    159 (100%)

Anyone received a great non-stuff gift that they think would be good for next year?
    ROMEO likes this.

Trading Score
    42 (100%)

Is food considered 'non-stuff'? lol
    Can never go wrong with Beef Summer Sausage...mmm...
    Angela273, lecale and torontogal12 like this.

Canadian Guru
    Trading Score
    159 (100%)

I think that counts . My personals no-stuff strategy backfired because everyone except DH and my mom went for chocolate. I mean everyone. And this was after I got all those free chocolates from Checkout 51. I have never seen so much chocolate in my life haha. I am giving most of it away but I don't have stuff in my house so that worked
    Quote Originally Posted by GoddessDigi View Post
    Is food considered 'non-stuff'? lol
    Can never go wrong with Beef Summer Sausage...mmm...
    Last edited by torontogal12; Wed, Dec 31st, 2014 at 05:46 PM.
    Angela273 likes this.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread Information