• 1 Post By Ciel
  • 1 Post By jsmile
  • 1 Post By kidsteph
  • 1 Post By scouponer

Thread: Bonus points for diabetic supplies

CaNewbie
    Trading Score
    0 (0%)

Does anyone know why SDMs in Nova Scotia stopped giving bonus points for diabetic supplies and that these are not eligible for the seniors discount? I think you still get base points for the insulin, but no 10x/20x offers. Please note, these are cash purchases and do not require a doctors prescription.
    I see on other threads that the 20x's are applied in Ontario, definitely not in Nova Scotia. What is the situation in other provinces?
    This thread is currently associated with: Shoppers Drug Mart
    Last edited by Lynn11; Mon, Dec 1st, 2014 at 05:53 AM.

Trading Score
    12 (100%)

In the terms of Shoppers Optimum program:
    Due to each province’s regulations and the regulations of each provincial Pharmacy Regulatory Authority, the issuance of Shoppers Optimum Points for prescription drug purchases and select products purchased through the dispensary varies by province.
    I'm trying to search on the Nova Scotia College of Pharmacists' website to see if there was a recent change. Or if the provincial finance ministry may have made a change. P.242 of the November formulary by the Pharmacists college does not mention anything about points programs. http://novascotia.ca/dhw/pharmacare/.../formulary.pdf

I've noticed that some SCers can get points in some provinces that others cannot.
    lecale likes this.
    2021-Bring on the sunshine, sweets & online shopping.

Junior Canuck
    Trading Score
    0 (0%)

If your provincial government is regulating the product, perhaps if you know someone in Ontario, you can have them do a bulk buy and then ship it to you?
    SavvyLady likes this.

Junior Canuck
    Trading Score
    0 (0%)

I buy my insulin and test strips off prescription or over the counter, get the points, then have SDM write me a receipt which I submit to my health plan provider along with my prescription. I sm from Ontario.

Who pays for your supplies?
    lecale likes this.

CaNewbie
    Trading Score
    0 (0%)

I purchase the insulin and supplies, pay cash, and get a receipt. I submit the receipt to health plan and receive a portion % reimbursement. I used to get 10x/20xs points when offered(didn't always take advantage of this based whether refill needs coincided with offer dates. This changed sometime in the last 2 years. I thought this was a Canada wide until I saw recent comments re Ontario.

CaNewbie
    Trading Score
    0 (0%)

Also, re the bulk buy option, I'm not sure this would work because of refrigeration needs.
    Thank you for the suggestion.

Junior Canuck
    Trading Score
    0 (0%)

What do you mean by "when offered"? I just buy them on a regular 20x point promo day. I buy my supplies every 3 months and only on 20x day. Been doing this for along time now.

CaNewbie
    Trading Score
    0 (0%)

Seemed to have lost my reply, so here goes again.
    By " offer " I mean the regular 10x/20x days When I have purchased insulin on thosedays I have received base points only.
    I am glad you have been able to get 20x points. I searched but didn't find any other thread on this.
    I was hoping another member might why, and also how this is treated in other Provinces.
    Thank you for your input.

Junior Canuck
    Trading Score
    0 (0%)

That is awful. I've heard rumours on this site that SDM would discontinue points on insulin and the older terms and conditions did say insulin was not poinable - but I've always gotten my points - as recently as the November 20x promo. Perhaps your local SDM has an explanation? Good luck.

CaNewbie
    Trading Score
    0 (0%)

Thanks

Smart Canuck
    Trading Score
    1 (100%)

Hope everything works out for you guys. I always thought it was unfair that some provinces got points for certain items.. My sister-in-law always told me about all the points she got for prescription in Alberta and we were never able to get any here in Ontario...it would be nice if they had the same rules for all the provinces..

Smart Canuck
    Trading Score
    0 (0%)

Quote Originally Posted by SavvyLady View Post
    Hope everything works out for you guys. I always thought it was unfair that some provinces got points for certain items.. My sister-in-law always told me about all the points she got for prescription in Alberta and we were never able to get any here in Ontario...it would be nice if they had the same rules for all the provinces..
    It,is not shoppers who won't give,points it is the Ontario board of,pharmacists (or whatever they call themselves)'who,won't allow it. Alberta and BC pharmacy boards are trying to get rid,of allowing points as well, but,it is being challenge in court , you can google and read about. I believe sobey,s out west is spearheading the lawsuit. If it is deemed unconstitutional then we ontario residents would have a case but we would need someone willing to pay for a court battle. Waiting for the results of the court challenge to see what happens.
    luckbealady likes this.

Canadian Genius
    Trading Score
    17 (100%)

I think Quebec is the worst. I don't get points on items that contain medicinal ingredients like Tylenol, Clean&Clear, Visine, suppositories, etc. Not only I can't get points, I can't redeem with points.
    And I can't use coupons for Tylenol, Advil, Zantac, etc. for all of Quebec, not only SDM. All we get is a silly mail-in rebate and we can only buy one because it's one per household. That is when we go cross border shopping to Ontario and use as many coupons as I want.

Trading Score
    12 (100%)

http://www.staffordpharmacy.com/albe...n-inducements/

http://www.burnabynewsleader.com/news/184178641.html

The viewpoints are that public health must be safeguarded and that customers might be taking risks by timing purchases for points days instead of when needed or concern that those who do not need their medicines will sell them to people on the street.

http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/edmont...ints-1.2610144

BTW, all of you SDM customers realize that Shoppers' province of incorporation is Alberta? Check your flyers-it's a numbered company in Alberta doing business as Shoppers Drug Mart.
    2021-Bring on the sunshine, sweets & online shopping.

Thread Information