User Tag List

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Like Tree26Likes

Thread: Air miles...worth signing up for even if you don't travel/but for the rewards?

Senior Canuck
    Trading Score
    0 (0%)

I don't travel..but I heard they have some interesting rewards on their website that can be redeemed for the miles you collect, is this true?

Is it worth signing up for? ...so you collect miles by purchasing things from a sponsored store or online and then you can use those miles to either book a flight/hote/cruise etc or you can get free stuff on their website, is this right? and your points expire after 5 years?

I just wanted to know if it's worth it.. what do you guys think? or is there another program like this that offers rewards other than flights?
    if you can think of any I'd love to check it out

Just wanted to know if I should sign up for this or if it's a waste of time.
    (also, out of all the sponsored stores I only have Rexall, Metro near me that I sometimes shop at)
    What are your opinions on air miles?

-Thanks!

edit** I just checked out their sponsors list and it takes a lot just to earn 1 mile...
    like $15-20 at least..wtheck...I don't know about this :/ for me I don't know if it would work. I rarely shop at Rexall/Metro alone..and those are the only sponsored stores near me..
    This thread is currently associated with: Metro, Pharmaplus, Rexall PharmaPlus
    Last edited by JDI007; Wed, Dec 3rd, 2014 at 03:45 PM.
    $avvy$hopper likes this.

Trading Score
    117 (100%)

The airmiles rewards has changed in recent years but I still find it worth to collect. I don't use them on travel, I save them up and redeem 95 miles for $10 off at Metro for groceries or Shell for gas. (Or redeem in multiples of 95 as your miles accumulate). Be sure to read the thread on Air Miles (I'll have to track it down) as you have to choose how to accumulate your miles earned: "dream" rewards count towards redeeming for items on their website (theatre/attraction tickets, appliances, airfare et al). If you want to redeem for cash rewards, like I mentioned above, then choose the "cash" option. This will allow you to redeem right at the cash register at Metro, Shell, Staples, Rexall and several other stores listed on their site. Earn rewards faster by using a credit card that also collects AirMiles and look out for special bonus airmile events at sponsor stores. Hope that helps!! Have fun researching and deciding!
    Last edited by $avvy$hopper; Wed, Dec 3rd, 2014 at 03:49 PM.
    JDI007 likes this.
    Imy "Other Money". Join the fun:
    *Swagbucks!!- http://www.swagbucks.com/refer/Savvy5

Trading Score
    117 (100%)

yep...since the changes it doesn't work out for everyone. It takes me a while to earn them as I don't shop regularly at Metro, and I fill up at Petro lol! I also do not spend $15-20 to make a mile...I go to bonus events or take advantage of special offers. Might not be worth it for you given your update.
    GoJays and JDI007 like this.
    Imy "Other Money". Join the fun:
    *Swagbucks!!- http://www.swagbucks.com/refer/Savvy5

Smart Canuck
    Trading Score
    78 (100%)

Still worth collecting. I picked the "cash" option so I can redeem 95 miles at the store for $10 off (you can do multiples if you have more airmiles) Even if you only collect a few miles each month it could mean a few bucks off your groceries on those tight weeks.
    JDI007 likes this.
    Looking for FPC for almost everything. Growing teen boy eating me out of house and home. Visit my facebook page www.facebook.com/UneekCreations Will trade finished product from my Etsy shop.

Canadian Genius
    Trading Score
    51 (100%)

Last edited by lecale; Sat, Jan 17th, 2015 at 11:47 AM.
    GoJays and JDI007 like this.

Senior Canuck
    Trading Score
    0 (0%)

Thank you all for your input! I appreciate it. so can choose different options every time (dream or cash)? I guess it could be helpful to get a few bucks off your shopping trip..I just wish they had more sponsored stores..Rexall I find it to be more pricier than Shoppers! on SOME items, so I usually go to shoppers, yes they have cheaper toilet paper sometimes but honestly since that new Box store across the street I get my toilet paper there for even cheaper. Metro I go there usually just to browse because I do my grocery shopping elsewhere..so it's like once every few months :/
    I don't know lol..I guess I could try it and if I feel like I'm not getting enough I could always cancel it :/
    (and ty! I will keep the surveys in mind too that'd be nice!

Trading Score
    16 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by lecale View Post
    Sign up to do the Air Miles surveys...you'll make a ton of miles for free if you have the time to do a short survey whenever they pop up in your email.

Where do you sign up for Air Miles Surveys? I've never heard of doing that.

Canadian Genius
    Trading Score
    51 (100%)

Last edited by lecale; Sat, Jan 17th, 2015 at 11:47 AM.
    JDI007, maple7 and IthinkIcan like this.

Trading Score
    1 (100%)

I have my air miles account set to cash rewards. I don't shop very often at stores that offer air miles - and rarely when I do, do I even qualify for air miles.

But, I do belong to a survey program called web perspectives. You earn points, which you redeem for various rewards. I redeem for 50 air miles. In about 4 months I've earned over 600 air miles.

What I do is wait until I have at least 475 air miles, and then I go to a Shell gas station and get a $50 gift card for Shoppers, redeem my air miles to cover the cost of the GC, and then use it at Shoppers to earn some major Optimum points! It works really well for me. You could also redeem for GCs that don't take air miles.
    lecale, web3, shopperwho and 2 others like this.

Trading Score
    6 (100%)

Even though it says "Safeway" we cover all decent offers and how best to maximize your use of the program here:

http://forum.smartcanucks.ca/23424-s...ls-canada-703/
    lecale, JDI007 and maple7 like this.
    OB

Who Says Men Can't Shop!

Smart Canuck
    Trading Score
    0 (0%)

I only shop the promos, in my opinion, the regular points aren't even worth thinking about. I earn about 4k points a year which for me is about the best I can do in Ontario without buying unnecessary items.
    lecale and JDI007 like this.

CaNewbie
    Trading Score
    0 (0%)

Is it complex to collect them? Or does it waste time?

Canadian Guru
    Trading Score
    61 (100%)

I have an Air Miles credit card, that's a simple way to earn. Also, when they do promotion for GCs I will buy them (Sobeys has one this week if you spend $200 on GCs you get I think 100 bonus AMs - might be only Maritimes). I signed up for the surveys just recently, haven't earned much yet.

I have mine set to 100% Dream, as we hope to travel with them next year, although I did cash some in recently for a handheld GPS, to assist in our geocaching adventures.
    lecale likes this.

Smart Canuck
    Trading Score
    0 (0%)

Be careful how you earn them. It's often for things like spending $50 at the most expensive grocery store in town, or buying 5 overpriced items. Just make sure it's actually a good deal or something that you are buying anyway and not something that would be cheaper elsewhere so that the rewards are actually costing you money. Don't bother with their credit card. There are cards with higher cash-back rewards. When you have enough to redeem, don't save them up. Redeem them right away. Airmiles is notorious for making frequent changes that lower the value of their rewards.
    lecale and torontogal12 like this.

Canadian Genius
    Trading Score
    51 (100%)

Last edited by lecale; Sat, Jan 17th, 2015 at 11:16 AM.
    GoJays likes this.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information