User Tag List

Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By gameprogirl

Thread: Bad neighbour/landlord advice

CaNewbie
    Trading Score
    0 (0%)

Hi everyone,

I'm new here and hoping someone can give me advice on how to handle this situation.

In the Spring my significant other and myself moved into a new apartment. Literally the day we moved in the neighbour was on the balcony (we share a balcony) with two other people yelling and carrying on. We ignored this and settled in to our new place.

Fast forward a week or two and the same neighbour came home at 2am from the bar with 30 other people and had them in the hall outside of our apartment and inside his apartment (attached to ours) and had music playing, yelling, screaming, thumping, banging... basically it sounded like we lived inside a nightclub.

Fast forward a few weeks later and yet another ridiculous situation - This guy came home from the bar with about 10 people. We woke up to thumping and banging and looked out our apartment door to see our neighbour and another guy falling down the stairs and engaging in an actual fist fight. This was at 3am.

We called the police. They came and diffused the situation. We spoke with our landlord and she said she gave him his notice to vacate by November 7th.

Now, it's a month later and the tenant is not gone and has 20 people at his apartment currently - partying, carrying on, the usual.

Basically.. What can I do to end this? Can I do anything about my landlord lying to me? Do I legally have any power or must I be held hostage in my apartment, kept up until 5am and afraid to say anything because there's anywhere from 10-30 people there most of the time.
    This thread is currently associated with: Spring Shoes

Junior Canuck
    Trading Score
    0 (0%)

If this is a rental and you can't sleep.... I would be moving. However also do some research so problem neighbors isn't an issue at the next place.

BTW... have you discussed the issue with other neighbors. How are they surviving the problems?
    Last edited by xlxo; Sat, Dec 6th, 2014 at 11:54 PM.

CaNewbie
    Trading Score
    0 (0%)

I have talked to some neighbours and they all called the police during the fight as well. However, it seems that several of them are afraid of being evicted. I just can't get over my landlord lying about an eviction after an actual fist fight. It's not safe at all.

Canadian Genius
    Trading Score
    51 (100%)

Last edited by lecale; Sat, Jan 17th, 2015 at 11:59 AM.

CaNewbie
    Trading Score
    0 (0%)

Quote Originally Posted by lecale View Post
    generally the process is, someone has to write a complaint to the landlord with dates and times of the offending behavior and sign it. Then the landlord has a complaint they can act on. They prepare eviction papers that describe your story and give your neighbour 2 weeks to straighten up his act or leave. Obviously if the parties have continued, you should let your landlord know. Another way to document your issues with your neighbour would be to call city bylaw for a noise complaint. That would help your landlord prove the neighbours are causing a ruckus and the landlord has grounds to evict.

Is the place so perfect that it's worth fighting for? You might instead negotiate with your landlord to get out of your lease and leave.
    The thing is all of that has already happened. The landlord gave him an eviction notice but he hasn't left. I'm assuming something must have happened to change the eviction but I have no idea what.

The police were called by three separate units the night that the fight occurred and they came, spoke with us, spoke with the tenant and left.

I want to move as soon as possible but money is currently an issue so we're stuck at the moment.

It's just frustrating feeling stuck and helpless.

Canadian Genius
    Trading Score
    51 (100%)

Last edited by lecale; Sat, Jan 17th, 2015 at 11:59 AM.

I GOT GAME, DO YOU? gameprogirl's Avatar
    Trading Score
    15 (100%)

Document everything, keep complaining, encourage other tenants to also complain. Call police & city bylaw. That's all you can do, unless you move. You might be able to take the landlord to landlord & tenant act because your building is unsafe and nothing is being done.

Record everything you can.
    lecale likes this.
    Join Ebates for cashback on all purchases!
    http://www.ebates.ca/referrer?referrerid=Hm3B6tvDY78%3D

Thread Information