• 5 Post By Crochetlady
  • 4 Post By Natalka
  • 1 Post By Lynn49
  • 2 Post By ninna

Thread: QOTD: Tues. Dec. 9: Christmas Favourites

Trading Score
    29 (100%)

Christmas favourites roundup!

What are your fave things of the season?

1. Cookies
    2. Squares or other baked treats
    3. Chocolates
    4. Candy
    5. Christmas food...
    6. Movie/show
    7. Carol/song/hymn
    8. Decorations
    9. Story/book
    10. Christmas memories

Thanks so much for sharing!

This thread is currently associated with: N/A

Trading Score
    27 (100%)

1. Cookies... Sugar Cookies the recipe that uses Cream Cheese
    2. Squares or other baked treats... MIL's Almond Fudge or SIL's Pfeffernuesse (Peppernuts)
    3. Chocolates... Allergic
    4. Candy... Red JubJubs or Cherry Candy Canes
    5. Christmas food... Turkey, Mashed Potatoes, Stuffing, Gravy
    6. Movie/show... I love 'The Santa Claus' Series
    7. Carol/song/hymn... Hmm.. lots of favorites Oh Come All Ye Faithful, Mary Did You Know, The First Noel, Silent Night... I love them all
    8. Decorations... I love the old antique Christmas ornaments and Christmas angels
    9. Story/book... The Night Before Christmas (Before DH's grandma passed, every Christmas Eve she would read it)
    10. Christmas memories... DH's Grandma reading The Night Before Christmas... and Christmas at my Grandparents house when we were kids.

no more door to door! :) walkonby's Avatar
    Trading Score
    24 (100%)

* homemade gingerbread cookies, ( just a small plate of them now but I always loved doing the silly houses up with the kids in the past....an excuse to lick icing!!
    * eggnog that some of us LOVE but it hates us ( digestive payback ) and yet, we buy some every year!
    * Elvis!!! He is always with us on Christmas ( CD player runs non stop )
    * the last few years we broke with a traditional Christmas menu ( personally as the cook I had seen enough of the turkey/tryptophan reaction and wanted my guests and family alert afterwards! )
    instead there was a variety of served small courses, as many as 9!! ( cannot doze off if you are up and down, back and forth into the kitchen ) and it meant more conversation and fun fiddling to get our paper hats to stay on.
    * Watching my kids unwrap the gag gifts

babies teach us acceptance

Trading Score
    3 (100%)

1. Cookies: my Mom's jam thumb-print cookies
    2. Squares or other baked treats: cottage cheese/raisin squares...I know, sounds weird, but omg, they're fantastic!!
    3. Chocolates: not a chocolateaholic, so a couple here and there...meh
    4. Candy: those pink "chicken bone" cinnamon things
    5. Christmas food...: all of it! Esp my dressing, always hope for leftovers to take home for turkey/dressing/cranberry sauce sammies
    6. Movie/show: Polar Express
    7. Carol/song/hymn: Oh Holy Night
    8. Decorations: too much is not enough, quite unlike my usual spartan decor..
    9. Story/book: nothing comes to mind, although we did read Twas The Night Before Christmas to the kids on Christmas Eve when they were young; last year I bought the "politically correct" one for our DD...
    10. Christmas memories: Christmas with my parents were so incredibly special...all day with family and friends...I was blessed and I hope our DD feels the same...

Coupon Princess sheetsofemptycanvas's Avatar
    Trading Score
    330 (99%)

1. Cookies: Snowballs and soft gingerbread cookies
    2. Squares or other baked treats: Gingerbread cake with lots of fresh whipped cream, fudge, candy cane bark
    3. Chocolates: Lindors
    4. Candy: See above... chocolate!!!
    5. Christmas food: I could eat stuffing until I explode!!!
    6. Movie/show: Charlie Brown Christmas, National lampoons Christmas vacation, It's a wonderful life
    7. Carol/song/hymn: Oh Holy Night (especially the Canadian Tenors version!)
    8. Decorations: I collect snowmen
    9. Story/book
    10. Christmas memories: Just being with family
    Soft kitty, warm kitty, little ball of fur... happy kitty, sleepy kitty, purr purr purr

Trading Score
    0 (0%)

1. Cookies M&M cookies
    2. Squares or other baked treats I use to love brownies. I have to eat gluten free so looking for some delicious gluten free brownies! Same with cookies etc.
    3. Chocolates Anything milk chocolate
    4. Candy I'm more of a chocolate lover than candy
    5. Christmas food...Turkey!
    6. Movie/show Christmas with the Kranks, National Lampoon Christmas, Home Alone 1
    7. Carol/song/hymn Variety of Christmas songs.. difficult to choose one
    8. Decorations Bright lights, sparkly decorations
    9. Story/book Not sure
    10. Christmas memories Tobogganing down the road hills near the lake (It's actually quiet in the winter, but had to watch for the odd car)
    Natalka, Crochetlady and beckie.c like this.

Trading Score
    65 (100%)

1. Cookies gingersnaps
    2. Squares or other baked treats cereal bars
    3. Chocolates truffles
    4. Candy fancy caramels...look for these every year but can`t find them anymore
    5. Christmas food... turkey, dressing and cranberry sauce
    6. Movie/show home alone series
    7. Carol/song/hymn O holy night
    8. Decorations nativity scene I got from Avon many years ago
    9. Story/book don`t know
    10. Christmas memories nothing special
    Natalka, Lynn49, ninna and 2 others like this.

Trading Score
    29 (100%)

1. Cookies - I'm a soft gingerbread cookie lover, too; whipped shortbread - I'll try any cookie!

2. Squares or other baked treats - cheesecake squares, matrimonial squares, - or any kind!

pampushky (poppyseed or prune-filled -ok, it's a Ukrainian doughnut!)

khrustyky (sometimes called sweet nothings or angel wings)

3. Chocolates - original Ferrero Rocher; anything with nuts

4. Candy - Yay, Lynn, I'm a chicken bones lover, too - couldn't find any here, so I ordered some online; old fashioned ribbon candy, regular peppermint candy canes

5. Christmas food... - the whole Ukrainian meatless experience from Christmas Eve Holy Supper.

6. Movie/show - The Nativity Story; Charlie Brown Christmas, especially Linus; The Bishop's Wife.

7. Carol/song/hymn - O Holy Night, We Three Kings - all the traditional ones; Ukrainian carols

8. Decorations - Most special is our treetop angel, which my husband bought for our first Christmas after we were married - she's 25 and in great shape!; also love Nativity scenes and snowglobes.

9. Story/book - Gift of the Magi

10. Christmas memories - keeping Ukrainian traditions of the season, though growing up they seemed much more special with Mom, Dad, and six kids - plus as the years went on, extended family.
    Having the awesome supper together, then carolling, opening gifts, going to Liturgy at night was very special.
    Last edited by Natalka; Tue, Dec 9th, 2014 at 08:39 PM.
    Crochetlady, Lynn49, ninna and 1 others like this.

Trading Score
    3 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by Natalka View Post
    1. Cookies - I'm a soft gingerbread cookie lover, too; whipped shortbread - I'll try any cookie!

2. Squares or other baked treats - cheesecake squares, matrimonial squares, - or any kind!

pampushky (poppyseed or prune-filled -ok, it's a Ukrainian doughnut!)

khrustyky (sometimes called sweet nothings or angel wings)

3. Chocolates - original Ferrero Rocher; anything with nuts

4. Candy - Yay, Lynn, I'm a chicken bones lover, too - couldn't find any here, so I ordered some online; old fashioned ribbon candy, regular peppermint candy canes

5. Christmas food... - the whole Ukrainian meatless experience from Christmas Eve Holy Supper.

6. Movie/show - The Nativity Story; Charlie Brown Christmas, especially Linus; The Bishop's Wife.

7. Carol/song/hymn - O Holy Night, We Three Kings - all the traditional ones; Ukrainian carols

8. Decorations - Most special is our treetop angel, which my husband bought for our first Christmas after we were married - she's 25 and in great shape!; also love Nativity scenes and snowglobes.

9. Story/book - Gift of the Magi

10. Christmas memories - keeping Ukrainian traditions of the season, though growing up they seemed much more special with Mom, Dad, and six kids - plus as the years went on, extended family.
    Having the awesome supper together, then carolling, opening gifts, going to Liturgy at night was very special.
    Nat, our BulkBarn has always carried them; I'm not sure about this year, since I haven't been there...gosh they are good, aren't they?
    Natalka likes this.

Trading Score
    24 (100%)

1. Cookies- gingerbread
    2. Squares or other baked treats- fudge
    3. Chocolates- turtles
    4. Candy- chocolate covered almonds (hmmm. noticing a chocolate theme here. lol)
    5. Christmas food- Dutch raisin bread with the almond filling
    6. Movie/show- How the Grinch Stole Christmas
    7. Carol/song/hymn- Silent Night
    8. Decorations- the lights
    9. Story/book- don't have one
    10. Christmas memories- the year I finished my master's degree and DH's family had to drive to Ottawa to move us back to London. We were both unemployed without a nickel to rub together (well, actually, we had 40 nickels to our name...literally...they were rolled up and that was ALL we had--no word of a lie), and no place to live and no prospects whatsoever. No food in the cupboards. No way to even attempt to buy Christmas gifts for anyone when we arrived back in our hometown on the 23rd of December. Oh yeah...it was one HUMBLING Christmas.
    Natalka and beckie.c like this.
    "Be yourself. Everyone else is already taken." Oscar Widle

Thread Information