User Tag List

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast
Like Tree190Likes

Thread: Theft through the mail

Trading Score
    454 (100%)

This is a rant & warning.

Rant:

I live in an apartment building and it is one of the view who still gets mail delivery through a slot in the door. Today I received my mail while I was finishing up in the bathroom. A minute or two passed and I walked out (bathroom is right by front door), bent down to pick up the mail and as I was doing so one more envelope was put through the slot. I looked through the peep hole in our door and saw the mail lady quickly walking away. I picked up the envelope and it was a Christmas card from my grandparents that had been opened. It was cleanly opened as if the saliva had dried on the sticky part but you could see that a sticker that was used to seal it as well was forcefully peeled off. Inside was supposed to be a $200 giftcard. The mail lady was long gone in the minute or so it took me to realise what the mail piece was, who it was from and what was missing from it.

I've called Canada Post and they basically don't care. They claim it most likely just came open in sorting but the issue I have with that is how cleanly the envelope was opened. If it had been opened in the middle of its journey to me then the opened part of it would most definitely be folded, bent, and creased but it was as if it had just been opened.

So I called the police and they came out and did a report. Called Canada Post and confirmed with them about my complaint and confirmed with my grandparents what they had sent but at this point there isn't anything further they can do which I understand. The main reason I reported it to the police was because I know this isn't the first time whoever did it had done it and it won't be the last time either.

So please please PLEASE unless absolutely necessary do not send cash or giftcards through the mail. Send a e-transfer, a cheque or a money order, especially around holidays. Please also spread this warning to friends and family. I have always practiced not sending things like that through the mail but I know my family never listened in the past but I'm hoping now they will.

Unfortunately the giftcard cannot be cancelled or reported as stolen to Walmart because my grandmother is not sure which one she sent to me as she bought several in the same amount at the same time.
    This thread is currently associated with: Canada Post, Walmart
    Ciel, Poirot, macw1960 and 10 others like this.
    Insert Clever Signature Here

Frosh Canuck
    Trading Score
    0 (0%)

Wow. I just read through this. Thank you for sharing! I cant trust canada post now. I also had same experiences where i was expecting something in mail and was informed by my friend that it was sent and it never got to me. Same with a mail that i sent out through Canada Post, I sent it off and it never got sent to my friend! I asked my friend if they have received it and got a response that it was never received!
    ROMEO, Ciel, macw1960 and 2 others like this.

Trading Score
    454 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by ladymonkey View Post
    Wow. I just read through this. Thank you for sharing! I cant trust canada post now. I also had same experiences where i was expecting something in mail and was informed by my friend that it was sent and it never got to me. Same with a mail that i sent out through Canada Post, I sent it off and it never got sent to my friend! I asked my friend if they have received it and got a response that it was never received!
    I've had a few trades go missing (I've done over 1000+) but only once was it with a high value GC. That person who I traded with now only does e-transfers, and I think it is much safer to do that way.

I was always neutral about CP and all the complaints I've seen but after today I was just absolutely disgusted. My super and I posted a notice around the building and she said that others have had issues with this specific mail lady and that she doesn't just deliver the mail but she hangs out in our laundry room as well for quite awhile every day. She also notified me that someone has tried during the day to break into the machines. This may not be realted whatsoever but we will soon know as there are going to be cameras installed in there.

My biggest thing was hoping that if it had happened to someone else in my building or in the area to report it so that it can be investigated. The police don't look too much into it if its only one occurance.
    ROMEO, Ciel, macw1960 and 2 others like this.

Trading Score
    0 (0%)

That's awful Purple! I mailed two to three gift cards in a padded envelope for Christmas this year. I decided to send it Xpress Post (includes tracking), and paid a little extra for insurance and a required signature. It cost more than regular mail. It's sad when others steal mail. I wonder if you're building will install more security cameras?
    Ciel, macw1960, ticul and 1 others like this.

Trading Score
    454 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by toban View Post
    That's awful Purple! I mailed two to three gift cards in a padded envelope for Christmas this year. I decided to send it Xpress Post (includes tracking), and paid a little extra for insurance and a required signature. It cost more than regular mail. It's sad when others steal mail. I wonder if you're building will install more security cameras?
    We already have several cameras but the one we most definitely need now is the laundry room which she said is just a matter of time before it is installed.

I just don't understand two things. 1. Why would you risk your job over $200? Although it is probably more as whoever has stolen from others too, but why risk it? 2. How could you steal from people over the holidays who may be counting on that money/giftcard in order to feed their family? To buy gifts for their kids? To make it through? You never know what its for.
    Ciel, macw1960, toban and 1 others like this.

Trading Score
    12 (100%)

The thought that comes to mind: whoever is stealing the cards is likely using the opportunity to get free things for self or friends without spending any of their own money.

Good thing you filed a report about the card loss as it was a high value card.
    macw1960, Decaf, ticul and 1 others like this.
    2021-Bring on the sunshine, sweets & online shopping.

Trading Score
    454 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by Ciel View Post
    The thought that comes to mind: whoever is stealing the cards is likely using the opportunity to get free things for self or friends without spending any of their own money.

Good thing you filed a report about the card loss as it was a high value card.
    Thats along the lines of what I was thinking. I'm unemployed. They work for CP. Who do you think needs the GC's more?!
    macw1960, cath007, keeko1 and 1 others like this.

Trading Score
    0 (0%)

PurpleBunny.....that is just awful! In this day and age, where there are cameras everywhere, you'd think that Canada Post would be able to secure their deliveries. This is a huge loss for you and your grandparents. So, so sorry that you don't get your Christmas present. Insert expletives.

Trading Score
    40 (98%)

Wow....That is just awfull and low...Some people...
    macw1960, Decaf, Shwa Girl and 2 others like this.
    The goal is to live day by day not to much thinking hahaha !!!!
    I love to save money!!! Frugal life hahaah !!!

Trading Score
    30 (100%)

That's rotten that both you and your Grandparents get screwed because of someone in that position. I sent out a GC to this month and never thought about someone in the system taking it. I just hope it gets there.
    macw1960, Decaf, ticul and 2 others like this.
    Just call me Wolfie

Smart Canuck
    Trading Score
    34 (100%)

Disgusting! May Karma be with this evil thief!

Canadian Guru
    Trading Score
    46 (100%)

Once I got my Credit Card and the PIN for the CC at the exact same time in 2 envelopes.

They are supposed to mail it at different times , 1 week apart atleast.

imagine if someone had got my CC and PIN at the same time.

You just had to call a 1-800 number for automatically activating the card.
    macw1960, walkonby, Decaf and 2 others like this.

Junior Canuck
    Trading Score
    0 (0%)

As someone who has suffered several thefts by a CP letter carrier, I've been very reluctant to send anything of significant value through the mail. I'm so sorry this has happened to you. Hopefully, an investigation brings an answer. It did for me, but only after 2 neighbours reported theft as welll and the postal union quit covering for the thief. I am so shocked that this is still happening.
    macw1960, Decaf, ticul and 2 others like this.

Trading Score
    189 (100%)

Wow. Is she your usual postie? I`d patiently wait for her the next time she pops by.

Trading Score
    454 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by tjthemanto View Post
    Once I got my Credit Card and the PIN for the CC at the exact same time in 2 envelopes.

They are supposed to mail it at different times , 1 week apart atleast.

imagine if someone had got my CC and PIN at the same time.

You just had to call a 1-800 number for automatically activating the card.
    I've heard of this happening. Very scarey!

Quote Originally Posted by sueshe View Post
    As someone who has suffered several thefts by a CP letter carrier, I've been very reluctant to send anything of significant value through the mail. I'm so sorry this has happened to you. Hopefully, an investigation brings an answer. It did for me, but only after 2 neighbours reported theft as welll and the postal union quit covering for the thief. I am so shocked that this is still happening.
    Yeah see thats my problem, unless someone else reports a similar issue to CP and/or the police there isn't anything anyone will do about it.

Quote Originally Posted by Candini View Post
    Wow. Is she your usual postie? I`d patiently wait for her the next time she pops by.
    She is our usual. DH and I thought the exact same thing, the only issue is that then she might get vindictive and other regular lettermail might not show up.
    Decaf and ticul like this.

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread Information