• 1 Post By mulock
  • 1 Post By Midnightly
  • 1 Post By CrazyQT
  • 1 Post By GoJays

Thread: Rant: Target return policy, US merchandise

CaNewbie
    Trading Score
    0 (0%)

I received a present from Target from relatives in the U.S. I went to return the item, with receipt, and could not even get a store credit. They do not accept any returns or even exchanges from US stores even with receipt. I cannot believe that! They are an international company, and are certainly trying to ride on the coat tails of their success in the US. I have returned items that were bought in the states to other chains in Canada with no problem, ever. I realize the pricing is different, but THEY ARE THE SAME STORE! And I had a receipt! I don't know how they get away with this. I will tell all my family in my states to never buy us gifts from there. Also I was going to spend loads in that store that night but instead bought nothing because of this policy. I can see for many reasons why Target in Canada is struggling so much. I will never buy anything from Target Canada.

Has anyone had this issue? I wonder if I should try to return the item again without the receipt. They are pretty expensive children's jeans ($30) that didn't fit.

This thread is currently associated with: Target

Trading Score
    726 (100%)

I had this happen with Walmart, although I expected it. I figured I'd ask to exchange for something else in the store but totally understood when they said no. Realistically if they don't carry the item here in Canada then there really isn't much they can do with it. Totally unfortunate but somewhat understandable. Now if it was a product that the Canadian store carries then I'd push for an exchange.

Personally I love Target and have had the best customer service from there!

Perhaps call head office and see if they can offer any suggestions? Good luck!
    Durham Couponer likes this.

Canadian Genius
    Trading Score
    51 (100%)

Last edited by lecale; Sat, Jan 17th, 2015 at 10:53 AM.

Trading Score
    254 (100%)

Do you think this return policy is exclusive to target?
    lecale, GeorgiaK and luckbealady like this.

HUH? YOU DON'T DO SWAGBUCKS??? ARE YOU CRAZAY?!

Trading Score
    0 (0%)

Whatever the item is, you'll have better luck selling it on eBay or Kijiji.
    GeorgiaK likes this.

Trading Score
    70 (100%)

walmart is the same way and i'm sure there are many other stores that are similar.. the stores might share the same name but they are run independently from the American counter part so anything they would take back (if they do..the store could be taking the item back at a full loss since it can't be resold/put back on the shelf though sometimes a upper level manager may ok it just to keep a customer happy)

The stores often cant give a refund because they cannot enter the item into the system to make any sort of return (they need something to scan that the store would recognize to be able to make a payout of any sort)

overall i find target a great store, great staff, friendly, they try to be as helpful as they can be and are often very polite if they can't help you and apologetic (say if you can't find an item or they are out of stock) and they offer great sales and promos and regularly clearance stock so styles are fresh and not dated like many of walmart's products
    lecale likes this.
    When life hands you Edward Cullen...throw him back and demand Eric Northman....

Smart Canuck
    Trading Score
    5 (100%)

Your relative should have done their homework before sending gifts internationally.

international returns

Target stores cannot accept international returns or exchanges, including international returns and exchanges of U.S. and target.com purchases.
    anastasia1009 likes this.

Smart Canuck
    Trading Score
    4 (100%)

No store is going to accept a return for a product purchased in another country, it's not just Target.
    I don't think you'd even be able to do a non receipt return because the barcodes are different on a lot of items even if they are the same thing(noticed this cus my DD got two of the same shirts for Xmas one from Target in the US and one from Target here and the price tags had different barcodes).

Trading Score
    3 (100%)

I don't find this odd at all. What I'd find odd is if they did return the item. Someone gave us a shirt from The Children's Place for DS that didn't fit. We just wanted a credit so we could get a smaller shirt. The shirt ended up being from a US store and they couldn't return it. I wasn't angry, I wasn't surprised, I just said thank you and kept the shirt until it fit him.
    annedougherty likes this.

Thread Information