User Tag List

Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By CrazyQT

Thread: Delayed flight and rental car closed

plc
    Senior Canuck
    Trading Score
    15 (100%)

DH had to fly to Toronto last night to move his dad to our preferred nursing home today. His flight was to leave at 6:30 pm arriving in Toronto at 12:19 am. We were extremely lucky to be able to find a flight for under $600 less than a week before departure as the bed offer came at the end of day on Dec 23. At the same time we booked a rental car online and prepaid half the cost and booked a hotel close to where his dad is.

The bad part is that the flight was delayed and didn't arrive until after 1 am. The car rental place was also closed. DH ended up finding another car rental place and getting a car and didn't leave the airport until 2 am and still had about a 40 minute drive to his hotel and then he needs to get to his dad's for 9 am to take him to the new nursing home. He called me last night to let me know what happened. I was furious as we had prepaid and given our flight number on the reservation. Other times we've flown and the flight has been late, the rental place waited for us. I tried calling but their customer service was closed until next business day. I just kept thinking about it and couldn't fall back to sleep.

The good part is that I called this morning and talked to someone and they indicated that they will credit back the prepaid charge. Now I'll have to keep an eye on the credit card to see that this actually happens.

I booked DH's hotel at a Comfort Inn as we have their reward program. Today as I was looking online, I see they are offering 3x the points for stays that include Sunday - Thursday from Dec 29 - Feb 18. I'm just not sure if his stay will qualify for this as you are suppose to register before your stay. In this case, the stay overlaps the promo and I registered during the stay. I sent an email asking so we will see what happens.
    This thread is currently associated with: N/A

Smart Canuck
    Trading Score
    5 (100%)

If I have a family member that is flying I always check the status of their flight and watch it until it actually departs. This way I can notify anyone at the arrival terminal of any delays. I hate making people wait around for delayed flights at the airport. I would rather them stay home the extra half hour where they are comfy.

In the future you may want to do this as well so that you can contact the car rental place and find out what their policy is on delayed flights.

In the end I'm glad it all worked out and you are getting a credit for the deposit.

I hope everything with smoothly with the transition to nursing home for your FIL.
    plc likes this.

plc
    Senior Canuck
    Trading Score
    15 (100%)

Thanks for the advise. I will keep that in mind for next time.

Smart Canuck
    Trading Score
    0 (0%)

You should collect airmiles instead
    I finding using Hotwire.com for hotels in Canada saves me quite a bit of money, espeically airport ones.
    glad everything kinda worked out

Trading Score
    86 (100%)

We've had that happen, although I almost never prepay my car rentals. When it's the airline's fault (ie not weather) I make them give me a taxi voucher to go to the hotel and back the next morning to pick up my car. You are entitled to a lot when a flight is delayed due to the airline's fault.
    You just proved Signature Advertising works!

Earn FREE money just by searching! Ask me how to get a $5GC using my referral.
    Get $10 off $40 for new customers at well.ca using the code springhascome

CaLoonie
    Trading Score
    0 (0%)

Maybe I am not understanding this all, but it seems to me like this is not the fault of the rental place. The flight was delayed, I get that. But it arrived past the time the rental place is open until. Are they supposed to pay someone overtime to wait for the flight? Honestly I thought they would be open 24 hours in an airport like Toronto, but guess not. So if they are ready to close before your DH lands, I do not see that as being their fault.

At least he got there and got a car and all worked out, though with little sleep! Hope he had a good trip home!
    Insurance Graduate Class of 2014
    I need coupons big time!

What do you do with a elephant that has three balls? Walk him and pitch to the Rhino!

Thread Information