User Tag List

Page 4 of 12 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 6 ... LastLast
Like Tree620Likes

Thread: New Years Financial Resolution (post your resolution & updates)

Trading Score
    288 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by Frugalbigmama View Post
    Well cleaning/tossing old paint cans has paid off. Found a can of untinted paint (I bought it like this when there was a sale way back and was told I could just bring it in when I was ready to pick my colour) Yippee! So no $ out of pocket for the powder bathroom paint (which is good considering it was just painted last year but needed touch ups and we have to rip toilet/sink off to put new tiles down (and new vanity which I already bought and paid for over a year ago!) SO decided I want a different colour now Also found a can of paint from my bedroom that will work for all the touch ups so will wait on re-painting my room since it will feel like a new room once painted.
    great cleanup it definitely paid off
    macw1960 and bobbiegirl2010 like this.
    2019 is the year that we continue to save before we buy!!!

Trading Score
    288 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by Frugalbigmama View Post
    Made another contribution into my TFSA Mutual fund account today.
    already - great job
    macw1960 and bobbiegirl2010 like this.

Trading Score
    288 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by lilo0003 View Post
    Bobbiegirl: Great plans. We had to roll our LOC into our mortgage many years ago. It was so stressful but in the long run it was a good thing. It took a few yrs longer than planed but we still paid it off within 17 yrs. As for the daycare like J &C I am a fan of home based daycare and hope you can find families. It sounds like you offer a great program & families would be lucky to have you. One of my best friends is a mom I met when our oldest boys (now 14)were in kindergarten. She had three under 5 and decided to try offering home day care. We were one of her 1st families and I never regretted it.
    My challenges this year are to pay off our LOC ($28000). Sadly most of it is money that others owe us. It makes me lay awake at night, and I know the risk of loaning money but in both cases I have no regrets and would do it again. The other gaol is to catch up our TFSA. We opened them years after the program started and I think if we contribute $12000 each we are finally up to-date This is easier to do with no mortgage and living a frugal lifestyle thanks to the ladies in the frugal chatter thread.
    awesome sauce lilo003, I am sure your family is grateful for the loan, fingers crossed you don't have too many sleepless nights.

You have such a big heart I know you will achieve all your goals with gracefulness and pride

Trading Score
    288 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by bobbiegirl2010 View Post
    I was told yesterday by my most reliable daycare parent (owns her house, has been employed at her work for 10+ years) that she also is concerned about losing her job and losing her daycare spot (single mom on subsidy). So now that's all my daycare parents now who may lose/change their jobs and/or move or have a baby in the next few months. The economy really is not favourable for factory workers right now (main employers in my area)

Really considering getting a job in the spring/summer instead of starting over with all new daycare families. I'm also getting burnt out with the long hours that I work (11+ hrs). Also my youngest dd is in jk full time this year so the desire to continue to stay at home isn't really there anymore. Decisions decisions.... For now I'll continue as long as I make decent money and will see how the next few months go.
    bobbiegirl only you know what is best for you and your family perhaps a change is what you need with shorter hours like you mentioned. Things always workout for the best and sometimes with hidden meanings
    macw1960 and Anna Michele like this.

CaNewbie
    Trading Score
    0 (0%)

My goal is to begin investing online through QuestTrade or interactive brokers. I have saved $1000 and I want to grow it at least 10 times in the next year
    ROMEO, macw1960 and jasperandchar like this.

Smart Canuck
    Trading Score
    1 (100%)

BG-huge demand for home daycare in West Calgary if you lived here-usually pays about $50 per day per kid-of course housing is more expensive here and I can't see you moving across country for that. Other things to consider( as well as getting a job) are foster care or respite foster care or FT or PT care for an adult with a disability( the income from these is generally tax free if the care is in your home as per Rev Canada). As well if you have any experience with children with disabilities, many families are looking for PT respite or teaching assistance in their home for them-in AB this pays up to $25.09 per hr for a developmental aide paid for by the govt. Not sure about Ontario. Many people are also looking for elder care but this may not be your interest or skill set. None of these may interest you but just food for thought! Goodluck with whatever you decide to pursue work wise.
    Last edited by lizzie bargain; Sun, Jan 25th, 2015 at 08:50 AM.

CaNewbie
    Trading Score
    0 (0%)

My goals are: to clean the every closet, pantry and storage up and sell or donate the stuff I don't need/use, to save more and spend less money (buying less, less shopping, less eating out, etc), to save for traveling/backpacking in the summer.
    I've learned in the past year that I'm actually better off without buying unnecessary items (including many food items) or even taking freebies which I don't need - less clutter and healthier lifestyle!
    Last edited by littleturquoise; Mon, Jan 26th, 2015 at 03:32 AM.

Canadian Guru
    Trading Score
    54 (100%)

Being organized saves money for sure! I am starting to get ready for summer sports and taking inventory of what we need and what we can sell to put towards what we need. We have tons of too small cleats etc that are bring posted for sale to take our space back and get a few $. I also went through my youngests summer clothing and he needs nothing!

Trading Score
    288 (100%)

great goal littleturquoise less clutter also mean less cleaning (lol)
    macw1960 and thriftygranny like this.

Trading Score
    288 (100%)

Hi everyone,

I deposited $144 in the bank today in the reno account, $ earned by selling things from around the house no longer needed

Also made at $370.58 installment payment for 2014 taxes yes 2014

Canadian Guru
    Trading Score
    54 (100%)

Cleaned up the budget/bank account since Friday is payday. Moved forward to next budget period $100 for groceries (didn't shop too much this month trying to use up stuff and redeemed $50 in PC pts so that helps to keep the cash) $50 Misc and $187.09 for GAS. WOW! And I used some $ from gas from last budget period to pay for something. Also have $70 credit on one MasterCard and $115 credit on the other. Building the one for a Costco shopping spree lol

Trading Score
    288 (100%)

Put another $200.00 on income tax installment for 2014 and will be making another in the next few days. Hoping to be all caught up in March. I also contacted my employer to have another $370.00 taken off per month so that I will not be back in installments for 2015, the paperwork is in the mail.

Our oldest son moved into his new room downstairs this weekend, really pleased as we didn't borrow to complete the reno downstairs.

We are freshening up ds1's old room son that ds2 can move into that room while we gut his room and spray foam the walls. We are still saving up for the spray foam but hopefully in March we'll have enough to purchase that again with no borrowed costs.

Glad to see that everyone is doing great with their financial resolutions/goals

Smart Canuck
    Trading Score
    1 (100%)

"Our oldest son moved into his new room downstairs this weekend, really pleased as we didn't borrow to complete the reno downstairs."

J and C-Your comment really struck me-isn't this the way our grandparents and in many cases parents did things back before credit cards. You saved up until you had the money to rennovate a room or buy a used car etc. I am sure they borrowed money to buy houses but little else-even cars- Credit cards really changed everything. Sure there were loans back then but most people lived within their means and saved for what they needed/wanted. Kudos to you for doing it the old fashioned way and saving yourself interest and headaches along the way.

Canadian Guru
    Trading Score
    54 (100%)

Yes for sure. Credit cards do no favours for some people.

Trading Score
    288 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by lizzie bargain View Post
    "Our oldest son moved into his new room downstairs this weekend, really pleased as we didn't borrow to complete the reno downstairs."

J and C-Your comment really struck me-isn't this the way our grandparents and in many cases parents did things back before credit cards. You saved up until you had the money to rennovate a room or buy a used car etc. I am sure they borrowed money to buy houses but little else-even cars- Credit cards really changed everything. Sure there were loans back then but most people lived within their means and saved for what they needed/wanted. Kudos to you for doing it the old fashioned way and saving yourself interest and headaches along the way.
    Thanks lizzie, I appreciate your kind words and it makes sense to do as the older generation did, let's face it they were very wise with their $ as they had to be especially raising their families through the depression, etc.

Page 4 of 12 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 6 ... LastLast

Thread Information