User Tag List

Page 12 of 20 FirstFirst ... 2 10 11 12 13 14 ... LastLast
Like Tree661Likes

Thread: UPDATE: Will Target leave Canada in 2015? Yes.

Trading Score
    12 (100%)

Did not see this Target article until just now. Target Canada got Quebec's shopping wrong?
    http://www.thestar.com/business/2015...uebec-too.html
    “They really went out of their way to get Quebec right. They did things that other larger American retailers entering the market would not have done,” said Eric Blais, president of Headspace, a firm that decodes Quebec for companies hoping to do business in the francophone province.

Target sought out Quebec celebrities and designers to feature in their stores. They made pop star Mitsou Gélinas a fashion ambassador. They partnered with blogger and designer Saskia Thuot, a woman Blais compared to Martha Stewart. They created a Facebook account with content skillfully translated into French.

“They did so many things right and yet they stumbled,” said Blais.

Their biggest mistake, according to Blais, was basing the success of their business model on changing Canadian shopping habits.

“Target executives themselves realized that Canadians were less likely to (one-stop) shop than Americans – and intended to change that in order to succeed,” said Blais, citing a press interview with former Target Canada president, Tony Fisher.
    I'm quite sure that anyone from Quebec who travels to Florida for the winter probably shopped at Target stores there and knew what it was.
    2021-Bring on the sunshine, sweets & online shopping.

Trading Score
    7 (100%)

about Uniquo

princessjen and Ciel like this.

Trading Score
    7 (100%)

Lowes announced that they are hiring
    May be helpful for Target employees
    The company said seasonal employees are most needed in spring and summer, typically from March until September, when weather has improved and customers are ramping up their indoor and outdoor home improvement projects.
    Lowe’s plans to hire about 2,000 seasonal employees across Canada.
    Ciel likes this.

Trading Score
    551 (100%)

Fellow hamiltonians I saw a brief clip that maple leaf is hiring in hamilton
    www.heritage-jobs.com
    Last edited by Anna Michele; Wed, Jan 28th, 2015 at 09:19 PM.
    Shwa Girl, JDI007 and amira84 like this.
    JOIN NOW WIN BIG in the Survivor Pool starting in the Spring
    Season 40 Winners At War
    https://forum.smartcanucks.ca/435852...a/#post7022499

Trading Score
    12 (100%)

CBC News is saying Uniqlo is having a strategic entry? The chain's coming arrival was news last spring/early summer (read about it online at Toronto Life's site). Target has some lovely locations that could be good for expansion plans though...

Just hope the US Twitter handler is passing on Cdn comments to HQ so it's known clearly that we'd like the FULL Uniqlo shopping experience like shoppers get in Japan. Please and thank you!
    Shwa Girl and torontogal12 like this.

Trading Score
    7 (100%)

what we will be missing out on
    Target USA video
    deals + coupons + apps + Target gift cards
    start at 8:00 into the video, to skip the junk food deals

Ciel and Anna Michele like this.

Trading Score
    12 (100%)

I posted elsewhere online what are the chances of investors pitching a scaled down boutique chain of Target Canada stores with rights to the name in Canada and some store locations? Also keeping the Target Red card and other details as part of the experience.

I certainly don't have the M$ and experience to pull such a deal. Worth putting the idea out online...maybe the Universe will answer.
    Shwa Girl likes this.

Senior Canuck
    Trading Score
    0 (0%)

Quote Originally Posted by Ciel View Post
    I posted elsewhere online what are the chances of investors pitching a scaled down boutique chain of Target Canada stores with rights to the name in Canada and some store locations? Also keeping the Target Red card and other details as part of the experience.

I certainly don't have the M$ and experience to pull such a deal. Worth putting the idea out online...maybe the Universe will answer.
    The ideal company for this would be Sobeys.. they were running Targets grocery department already. Would give them a huge advantage over Loblaws (Superstore).

Ron.

Smart Canuck
    Trading Score
    0 (0%)

Sobeys already is a huge competitor to Loblaws- they have discount stores in the east and have had to close stores because of overpopulating the market out here, and they have Thrifty's in the west. If Metro/Dominion/IGA wanted to move into all of Canada (again? Were they country-wide at one point?) they might be able to compete.
    Shwa Girl likes this.
    Join the Ajax Coupon Group: https://www.facebook.com/#!/groups/119179048289492/

Use Instacart for free credit towards your order! Earn cash in a flexible part time job! Referral code KRISTAJ961A3 https://shoppers.instacart.com/?refe...upply_referral

Trading Score
    70 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by Durham Couponer View Post
    Sobeys already is a huge competitor to Loblaws- they have discount stores in the east and have had to close stores because of overpopulating the market out here, and they have Thrifty's in the west. If Metro/Dominion/IGA wanted to move into all of Canada (again? Were they country-wide at one point?) they might be able to compete.

thriftys is only really on the island (and a few locations in vancouver area) and they are not so much a discount grocery store (not really discount at all) but a higher end quality grocery store with the occasional decent sales (best quality produce and meats!)
    Shwa Girl likes this.
    When life hands you Edward Cullen...throw him back and demand Eric Northman....

Smart Canuck
    Trading Score
    0 (0%)

<3 Thrifty's The prices for staples are outrageous but I'd rather go there than Fairway. I thought they had expanded to Alberta but I was wrong.
    Shwa Girl likes this.
    Join the Ajax Coupon Group: https://www.facebook.com/#!/groups/119179048289492/

Use Instacart for free credit towards your order! Earn cash in a flexible part time job! Referral code KRISTAJ961A3 https://shoppers.instacart.com/?refe...upply_referral

Trading Score
    7 (100%)

When will the liquidation sales start?

Liquidation sales at Target Canada stores could begin as early as Thursday, with its properties and leases going up for sale at the same time, according to new court documents.
    When will the liquidation sales end?

The liquidation is to be completed no later than May 15, but sales at some stores are expected to be finished as early as the end of March, according to the documents.
    Toronto Star
    http://www.thestar.com/business/2015...gin-soon.html#
    Anna Michele likes this.

Trading Score
    7 (100%)

Hopefully, it will not be as bad as Zellers. Remember the "cucumber 50% off" coupon fiasco?
    http://smartcanucks.ca/oh-zellers-ca...i-loathe-thee/
    torontogal12 likes this.

Trading Score
    70 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by Durham Couponer View Post
    <3 Thrifty's The prices for staples are outrageous but I'd rather go there than Fairway. I thought they had expanded to Alberta but I was wrong.

i find when thriftys has a sale they are a ok or decent price.. but regular prices are on the higher side, it's a quality higher end grocery store lots of staff, very helpful, many open 24hrs now.. fairways is ok, some of the stores are a bit run down not horrible prices but not high end.. given the choice other then costco i'd buy my meats from thriftys before anywhere else
    Shwa Girl likes this.
    When life hands you Edward Cullen...throw him back and demand Eric Northman....

Trading Score
    7 (100%)

Target pharmacists are very angry right now
    Target Corp. set aside $90 million to pay the 17,600 people who will be left jobless when stores close, but pharmacy franchisees say they are being left high and dry.

Canadian pharmacists who bought franchises to operate inside Target stores thought they were getting into a great partnership.

Instead, some of them struggled so badly they required what they came to call ‘welfare’ payments from Target to stay afloat, after the promised foot traffic and sales failed to materialize.

Winnipeg pharmacist Charles Scerbo was familiar with Target stores in the U.S. and how busy they were.

“I thought, if they operate stores here like they do in the U.S., it’s a slam-dunk,” he said.

He was told to expect to be filling up to 400 prescriptions a week by the second year.

“It never materialized. They failed from the beginning,” he said.

In all, 81 pharmacist franchisees have joined the Pharmacy Franchisee Association of Canada (PFAC) seeking a better deal from Target.

The organization has hired legal counsel to try to get pharmacists more time to transfer their operations and they are seeking an unspecified amount of financial compensation.

“They’re not allowing us ample time to close down,” said PFAC president Dan Dimovski.

“Target is undermining, without regards to the consequences, the Canadian public health care system as it relates to the ability to provide ongoing continuity of care to patients.”

The organization is raising awareness of the problem with provincial compliance and regulators such as The College of Pharmacies.

Page 12 of 20 FirstFirst ... 2 10 11 12 13 14 ... LastLast

Thread Information