User Tag List

Page 1 of 20 1 2 3 11 ... LastLast
Like Tree661Likes

Thread: UPDATE: Will Target leave Canada in 2015? Yes.

Trading Score
    7 (100%)

A report this week
    Target Corp. will likely make a decision within the next few months on whether or not to “pull completely” out of Canada, a prominent retail analyst says.
    What do you think? Will Target be here in December 2015?

UPDATE: Looks like Target won't make it to December
    This thread is currently associated with: Target
    Last edited by Shwa Girl; Thu, Jan 15th, 2015 at 04:50 PM.

Trading Score
    7 (100%)

Or they may sell some of their stores to Walmart.
    http://www.huffingtonpost.ca/2015/01...n_6417828.html
    ROMEO, mulock, JDI007 and 1 others like this.

Canadian Genius
    Trading Score
    51 (100%)

Last edited by lecale; Sat, Jan 17th, 2015 at 10:32 AM.
    ROMEO, mulock, Ciel and 4 others like this.

Trading Score
    726 (100%)

My location has only been open just over a year, maybe a year and half at most. I really don't think that's enough time to accurately decide to close down completely.

I seriously hope Target stays because I'll be lost without them. I've been to Walmart 3 times since Target opened. I love Target! The store is clean, the staff are always so helpful, the selection is better, the clearance deals are amazing. I'd much rather pay a slightly higher price for some things at Target than go to Walmart. I'm in Target on average at least two times per week and I never leave empty handed! lol.

I do think they need to change the public's perception though. I can't count how many times I've talked to someone who doesn't shop at Target because it's expensive. It's almost mind boggling to me because the deals I've found at the store have blown all competition out of the water. Not to mention the quality of items. I find Target's children's clothes much higher quality than Walmart's and also much more true to size.

I could on for quite a while on how much I love Target. lol. I'll definitely be keeping close tabs on any new related to Target!
    ROMEO, Ciel, Midnightly and 6 others like this.

Senior Canuck
    Trading Score
    0 (0%)

Target leaving would not be a loss for me at all. I've spent probably $50 there since it opened. While I much prefer the shopping experience in that the store is clean and the staff are really friendly and helpful, my store just does not have the prices or selection. I also have had issues price matching. The Walmart is not as clean and the staff not as friendly, but they always have stock and I've always found good clearance deals and have only had one issue price matching, and it was my fault because I forgot how to read.
    ROMEO, Ciel, GoJays and 3 others like this.

Trading Score
    0 (0%)

Target has been nothing but a huge disappointment in my opinion. Nowhere near similar to the Target stores in the USA.
    strew, ROMEO, Ciel and 3 others like this.

Trading Score
    3 (100%)

The retail problem is greater than Target: many Canadian retailers are suffering losses, including Walmart. The days of huge stores may become a thing of the past. Best Buy, Chapters/Indigo, ToysRUs Canada, le Chatueu, Reitman's, Smart Set, Aeropostale, Lowes and of course Sears have all been posting losses and recent Christmas season sales have been dismal. Smart Set, Le Chateau and Aeropostale are scheduled to close in the near future, declaring bankruptcy.
    Canadian Tire is bucking the trend but if they don't get more of an on-line presence, they'll be on the down slide, too.

Online shopping is increasingly becoming the popular way to shop, which has recently lead to Walmart's decision to offer free shipping. They're attempting to stay ahead of the trend. Only shipping costs remain prohibitive wrt on-line shopping in Canada, as well as cross-border shopping.

I will absolutely miss Target; I enjoy my shopping experience there much more than dingy, dark Walmart and it's grumpy, rusted-out staff. But Target won't be alone, should it decide to cut their losses and leave.

Edited to add: another store will be closing its doors: Mexx has filed bankruptcy. Stores will be closing by the end of February, 2015.
    Last edited by Lynn49; Wed, Jan 14th, 2015 at 01:28 PM.
    ROMEO, Ciel, lecale and 3 others like this.

Senior Canuck
    Trading Score
    0 (0%)

I think Target's lack of online catalogue has not helped them. I like to do some research before I buy certain things and shop around online to see prices. I'm looking for some pilates accessories. I've looked online at Walmart, Canadian Tire, the Bay, even Best Buy etc. but I can't check Target. I don't have the time to go to the store to check and find that it's likely priced the same or more expensive.
    ROMEO, Lynn49, Ciel and 6 others like this.

Canadian Genius
    Trading Score
    51 (100%)

Last edited by lecale; Sat, Jan 17th, 2015 at 10:30 AM.
    costybex, ROMEO, Lynn49 and 5 others like this.

Smart Canuck
    Trading Score
    25 (100%)

I would hate to see them go. I love the quality of their bedding, and linens and they have some really nice decor items. I also love the carters line of baby clothes for gifting new moms.
    Most of all it is the pharmacy that impresses me, all three pharmacists at my store are licensed to prescribe and I have used them a few times. they offer free delivery of prescritions and I have never waited more than 10 minutes to fill a script...I used to fill them at Shoppers but I am so done with the 45 minute wait time to fill anything. I recently had a heart procedure and my husband went to fill a prescription for a new type of blood thinner that I needed, they didn't have it in the stock so she said give me 15 minutes and she went to another competitor and got it for us.Amazing to say the least.
    Fantastic staff, clean and organized throughout my store, can't remember the last time I went to Walmart.
    Last edited by thriftygranny; Wed, Jan 7th, 2015 at 12:19 PM.
    ROMEO, Lynn49, Ciel and 4 others like this.

Trading Score
    7 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by Lynn49 View Post
    The retail problem is greater than Target: many Canadian retailers are suffering losses, including Walmart. The days of huge stores may become a thing of the past. Best Buy, Chapters/Indigo, ToysRUs Canada, le Chatueu, Reitman's, Smart Set, Aeropostale, Lowes and of course Sears have all been posting losses and recent Christmas season sales have been dismal. Smart Set, Le Chateau and Aeropostale are scheduled to close in the near future, declaring bankruptcy.
    Canadian Tire is bucking the trend but if they don't get more of an on-line presence, they'll be on the down slide, too.

Online shopping is increasingly becoming the popular way to shop, which has recently lead to Walmart's decision to offer free shipping. They're attempting to stay ahead of the trend. Only shipping costs remain prohibitive wrt on-line shopping in Canada, as well as cross-border shopping.

I will absolutely miss Target; I enjoy my shopping experience there much more than dingy, dark Walmart and it's grumpy, rusted-out staff. But Target won't be alone, should it decide to cut their losses and leave.
    Target should try online in Canada. That may help them.
    So true about the other stores struggling too
    ROMEO, Ciel and JDI007 like this.

Smart Canuck
    Trading Score
    0 (0%)

The HP talks about the empty shelves, which doesn't seem to be as much of a problem as it was a year ago.
    ROMEO, Ciel, Shwa Girl and 2 others like this.
    Join the Ajax Coupon Group: https://www.facebook.com/#!/groups/119179048289492/

Use Instacart for free credit towards your order! Earn cash in a flexible part time job! Referral code KRISTAJ961A3 https://shoppers.instacart.com/?refe...upply_referral

Trading Score
    29 (100%)

Let them go if they want, or stay if they can.

Doesn't matter to me, haven't been there.
    ROMEO, Ciel, GoJays and 2 others like this.

Trading Score
    3 (100%)

I think that any retailer that doesn't have a significant on-line presence with reasonable shipping will be missing the boat. I did most of my shopping on line this year, primarily because of my fall in May, and although I disliked the shipping charges, the selections from TheBay, Sephora, beat anything we have here re brands, quality, etc. I can only look through so many embroidered and sequined tops here at Sears before I run out of there screaming...
    Ciel, lecale, Shwa Girl and 2 others like this.

Mastermind
    Trading Score
    159 (100%)

Target has been amazing for me and my DD's school. I have been able to get TONS of stuff but my Targets suffer from empty shelf syndrome and low client volume. It may not help that they are literally 1.5KM apart from each other. That may not have been a great move.

I would die if they left

Page 1 of 20 1 2 3 11 ... LastLast

Thread Information