Like Tree484Likes

Thread: Time to focus on SPRING!!!

Trading Score
    37 (100%)

oy I CAN'T WAIT!!!
    Lynn49 likes this.

Trading Score
    3 (100%)

Started spring cleaning today. I pulled out the stove and fridge and scrubbed the kitchen floor by hand. Worst job ever!

Trading Score
    3 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by GoJays View Post
    I have all sorts of day lilies, Lynn. I love them because they're so easy. Plant them once and leave them alone.
    I have a mountain laurel shrub that didn't bloom last year, probably because of the horrible winter we had. I'm hoping that this winter isn't too bad but it's not looking good. It just gets colder and colder when it should be slowly warming up. The buds and flowers are very cool.
    Oh my gosh, Jays...they're so teeny and precious!! So you're in SO, right? Likely more a zone 5 than we are up north, so I'm wondering how difficult it might be to grow here...and acidic soil, moist but light...yikes, it sounds like I'd have to find some temperate place in the yard with light shade...it all sounds far more complicated than growing lilies!!

http://landscaping.about.com/cs/shru...n_laurel_2.htm
    avoncallingu and Angela273 like this.

Trading Score
    3 (100%)

Ok everyone and especially @Lynn49 and @walkonby . I need your help!

this is the first time I am doing gardening and here is the pic of front of my house where I want to have a beautiful flower bed.
    Name:  20150220_161707.jpg
Views: 104
Size:  72.0 KB
    Name:  20150220_161703.jpg
Views: 102
Size:  64.5 KB

It is going to be an "L" shaped flower bed. I took out the grass and stones from just a little bit of that land. Here is the pic:
    Name:  20150220_161718.jpg
Views: 91
Size:  92.7 KB
    Name:  20150220_161711.jpg
Views: 108
Size:  84.4 KB

my question to you is how much deep in soil do I have to dig in? Or is this enough and i don't have to dig in any further? Can i put top soil on it now? There were a lot of earth worms and i murdered a lot of them. lol

And also there were big stones in the ground. Is it okay to leave them there or do we have to take them out. I have taken them out today but i don't know if it was right thing to do or not. Here is the pic of stones. They are big!
    Name:  20150220_161722.jpg
Views: 106
Size:  137.2 KB
    avoncallingu and walkonby like this.

Trading Score
    3 (100%)

SO JEALOUS!!!!!!!!

Okay, first of all, that earth doesn't look too bad at all! And earthworms means that they can get through the stuff and are stirring it up nicely for you...Awesome! I personally think you've dug down far enough and it's time to put in some garden soil and bags of fertilizer. I'm not familiar with your area, so ask at your garden centre for the stuff that'll make your garden grow. Unlike the clay we have here, you're off to a great start!!! Did I mention I was JEALOUS??!!!
    I want too dig in the dirt, too!!! Ahhh...the smell of dirt! In my dreams!!!

So dish, Honey...what kinds of plants, flowers are you hoping to grow? Do you know the "zone" you're in? Just google canada's zone planting guide to find out, but I'm guessing Zone 5 or much better! Lucky you!!

Trading Score
    3 (100%)

@Lynn49 . Awwww... you are going to have a beautiful spring soon, very soon. Think positive, think springy! Lol

I am hoping to be done with this digging today. I am thinking about going to my canadian tire today and ask them what type of top soil and fertilizer do i need.
    Thanks for that link for canadian temp zone. I had no idea that they have divided land into these zones. But when i was looking at that pdf i remembered that our canadian forces housing authority has divided our houses into different zones for gardening. it is based on the amount of winds, sunlight and rain each row house gets. So i am definitely going to pick up their guide and will upload their recommendations here so that everyone can give some input.

And i was reading your conversation with gojays on this thread and i am hoping to plant some lillies because according to you guys they are very zero maintenance flowers. But again, i'll have to see my housing authority's recommendations too. I read their recommendations last year when we wanted to make this flower bed (but couldn't do it because of laziness) and as far as i remember, they advised to plant some perennials blah blah. But i'll choose whatever looks beautiful and smells heavenly.

Trading Score
    3 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by Lynn49 View Post
    SO JEALOUS!!!!!!!!

Okay, first of all, that earth doesn't look too bad at all! And earthworms means that they can get through the stuff and are stirring it up nicely for you...Awesome! I personally think you've dug down far enough and it's time to put in some garden soil and bags of fertilizer. I'm not familiar with your area, so ask at your garden centre for the stuff that'll make your garden grow. Unlike the clay we have here, you're off to a great start!!! Did I mention I was JEALOUS??!!!
    I want too dig in the dirt, too!!! Ahhh...the smell of dirt! In my dreams!!!

So dish, Honey...what kinds of plants, flowers are you hoping to grow? Do you know the "zone" you're in? Just google canada's zone planting guide to find out, but I'm guessing Zone 5 or much better! Lucky you!!
    Comox, as a whole, is in Zone 9a. Lucky you, amira! I, on the other hand, am in Zone 6a. No tropicals for me!

My mountain laurel is in full sun, Lynn. Never had a problem with that, it was just when last year's winter temperatures hit that it decided to not bloom for me come summer. I have a feeling it'll be more of the same this year. The winter temperatures seem to be worse than last year
    Lynn49 likes this.

Trading Score
    3 (100%)

Thank you, Jays...a mountain laurel would be lovely....although I'm not sure we'd have room for one. I think our lilac will be yanked this year (I get enough flowers from our DD's lilac), and I want to replace it with a Japanese maple to honour my late soul-sister, Janet....I think it's a lovely, delicate tree and it reminds me of her, not only because it's Japanese, but because of its delicacy....

Trading Score
    3 (100%)

Spring shoes, anyone??

Trading Score
    3 (100%)

Maybe something a little more comfy?

Trading Score
    0 (0%)

I need help too.. But won't go there yet.. still covered in snow.. and more coldness and snow coming yet they just said on the weather channel.. My question is when can i start seeding in pots.. I'm in zone 5..
    Lynn49 likes this.

Trading Score
    0 (0%)

Oh, and do we have a seed club here?
    Lynn49 likes this.

Trading Score
    3 (100%)

Trading Score
    591 (100%)

I saw 6 robins last week spring must be on the way lol
    Lynn49 likes this.
    http://forum.smartcanucks.ca/411352-...-lists-canada/

Please use my ​Orange key when you open a Tangerine account 41140291S1

Trading Score
    3 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by YOU AND ME View Post
    I saw 6 robins last week spring must be on the way lol
    So lucky! I'm guessing our robins are still in hiding, freezing their little feathers off!!!
    GoJays likes this.

Page 5 of 10 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5 6 7 ... LastLast

Thread Information