• 2 Post By padyofurniture
  • 1 Post By bargain_hunter_lola
  • 1 Post By theweave3162
  • 3 Post By Ciel

Thread: US Shopping, Target vs Walmart--also BBW and Hallmark

Senior Canuck
    Trading Score
    10 (100%)

I went to Watertown NY yesterday for some cross border shopping. I got a few good deals at Target there but noticed that in general the sales are better in Canada. Vaseline xmas gift pack was scanning at 50% and a Neutrogena Rainbath xmas set was scanning at 30%. They also had Christmas decor scattered around the store at 50% off (candles, small gold twig tree, snowman shaped candle). A lady saw I had Herbal Essences in my cart and gave me a coupon for $2.00/2. The large ones with bonus body washes were on clearance for $4.24 each so excellent deal. Then I went to Walmart!! UGH first time I have been in a Walmart since August( Canada or US). Store is disgusting as usual....especially washroom. Not as many specials in grocey section compared to Target. Christmas Glade candles $2.25 each...actually no deals at all on Christmas scented products which is to bad since they have different scents there. Fisher Price Litttle People Princess Songs Palace $49.99 compared to the $10.49 I paid for it here at Target.

Went to Panera Bread for lunch... Had one of their new Broth Bowls....delicious. I had $5.00 off

a broth bowl, a free drink, and a free pastry on my Panera card. I paid $3.72 for lunch

I have been stalking Ornament trees at Hallmark here for a sale. At Hallmark here on friday night I saw that they were 50% off $50.00. In the US they were 75% off . I got 2 for less than 1 would of cost me here.

At Tj Maxx (Winners here) I was able to get some fleece lined tights for $4.99 each....They are $14.99 each here!

Bath and Bodyworks was able to pick up some shower gels for $1.84 each and some wall flower refills for $1.08 each. Total savings on 14 items was $100.38.

When my friend and I go to the US we split the cost of gas. It cost me $15 to have a nice day out of town with my friend to do some shopping.

As for wear and tear on car..lmfao..most weekends we do more driving around locally just runnning around doing errands...

Spent $170 US and my friend spend $140 US. We did not get stopped at the Border to pay taxes. We were there less than 12 hours

Some people know how and where to shop.....I am glad to say that I am one of them
    This thread is currently associated with: Bath & Body Works, Hallmark, Target, Walmart, Winners
    Last edited by maplegirl; Sun, Jan 18th, 2015 at 10:45 AM. Reason: Add stuff
    Ciel, Decaf, torontogal12 and 2 others like this.

Canadian Guru
    Trading Score
    159 (100%)

sounds like a good trip for you. Good deals and fun day. Sad we'll have to drive 2 hours for the Buffalo Target now, and so many Canadians will lose jobs
    Ciel, Decaf and steph13 like this.
    Apply every possible promo code to your cart, at every store that you visit (and get points for cash back on top of that?). It's sweet and easy with HONEY.

Always use Ebates and get cash back at over 600 online stores! Use this link to get $5, FREE

Trading Score
    0 (0%)

We would have to drive around 8 or 9 hours to get to the closest Target (Bangor, ME). We may visit there once during the whole time we're in the US. And it's usually only because we want to see products that aren't readily available in CAN. Another member mentioned going to Bon-Ton, so I will have to check that store out on my next visit. I also like going to Kohls.
    Last edited by padyofurniture; Sun, Jan 18th, 2015 at 11:07 AM.
    Ciel and torontogal12 like this.

Trading Score
    726 (100%)

If you dislike the Watertown WM (I know I do) try the Fort Drum one (its near LeRay - about 15 minutes outside Watertown. It's pretty much the only thing out there but it's well worth the drive in my opinion).

Also if you know in advance that you're going, you can order anything off WM.com and have it delivered to the store for free. There's so much variety on the website!

If you haven't visited the new (about a year old) Christmas tree shop in the mall, its fantastic for finding deals! Same with Burlington coat factory (not just coats. lol)

HTH
    Ciel likes this.

CaLoonie
    Trading Score
    0 (0%)

Very valid points. I think the big thing is, you have to know what the prices are in Canada before you go and know the current exchange rate. Never exchange money in the USA, they do it different than we do here. It is weird how they calculate it. I used credit cards a few times in the states and got at least close to the bank rate for cash.

You are right on the wear and tear thing on the car. If you do all your running around in town on a weekend of shopping that is starting and stopping a lot. Traffic lights, parking lots etc. Where if you drive on the highway to the border, than maybe the interstate to NY Target or WM, it is steady driving, so less wear and tear and less gas. Not to mention that gas is cheaper than Canada (at least I think so!).

I did see in the paper that the dollar fell yesterday after the Bank of Canada cut the lending rate for the first time in 5 years, not sure how it fared today! I loved shopping in the states. The only time I did not care about prices was if I found something that was not in Canada at all and I had to get it! I miss the good ole days for sure!
    Ciel likes this.
    Insurance Graduate Class of 2014
    I need coupons big time!

What do you do with a elephant that has three balls? Walk him and pitch to the Rhino!

Trading Score
    12 (100%)

Ava & Viv, Target's new plus size clothing line for women-February 22 launch date!

Thanks, maplegirl for starting the US shopping thread!
    Last edited by Ciel; Sat, Jan 24th, 2015 at 09:00 PM.
    2021-Bring on the sunshine, sweets & online shopping.

Smart Canuck
    Trading Score
    1 (100%)

Great trip...I used to go camping to New Hampshire (no tax), Maine, the deals were amazing..then went to Syracuse to stores that we didn't have here..Hollister, Abercombie & Fitch, Macy's, Bon Ton, etc...now I go to Massena, it's about an hour and 10 minutes from my house ( there's not much there but they have a bon ton!!). Like someone mentioned, you have to know your prices, use coupons and enjoy the day out. People always say your gas, time and exchange rate it's not worth it, but it is and its a day out and somewhere different to go...

Trading Score
    7 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by Ciel View Post
    Ava & Viv, Target's new plus size clothing line for women-February 22 launch date!
    A new clothing line at Target? USA I presume. When they are about to start liquidation in Canada?
    That's just adding insult to insury, for Canadians who shopped Target here.

Trading Score
    0 (0%)

Yea, I was unhappy that Target CA didn't have a plus sized section. I think I'd purchased a pair of jeans in Bangor shortly before the local store opened. New England is a bit lacking for plus sized stores since Fashion Bug was sold off and closed. Lane Bryant is always a stop as is Kohls. I went into Catherines, but the clothes were bland and overpriced.

Thread Information