User Tag List

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast
Like Tree105Likes

Thread: I hate Telemarketers! Especially when they call me a B*tch or did he call me a Beast?

The ONLY Diva of SC! saveadollardiva's Avatar
    Trading Score
    4 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by Tierra Lemieux View Post
    Telemarketers make about $3 above minimum wage in your province, so they are that is the motivation for being in their line of work.

They are trained to overcome your objections with rebuttals. Being push does not come naturally to them.

There is however no excuse for verbal abuse
    I don't care that they make $3.00 above minimum wage in my province and to honest, it upsets me they get paid that much more, when, there are people out there that work hard for minimum wage, in jobs that don't require bugging people. They are the ones that should be making more, not these telemarketers. If they are trained to overcome objections with rebuttals, then, I am sure their are better jobs they could get then calling people, bugging them and verbally abusing them. I do agree with you, that, it is still no excuse for verbal abuse.
    Last edited by saveadollardiva; Thu, Jan 22nd, 2015 at 10:41 AM.
    ROMEO, Ciel and Candini like this.

CaToonie
    Trading Score
    0 (0%)

There is a surefire way to cut down on the number of telemarketer calls you get, but you have to remain calm in order to do it:

Under Canadian law, if you politely ask the telemarketer to remove your phone number from their calling list, they have to do it. It might take them a few months to do it, but if you continue to make the request each time they call, they will eventually remove your number and stop calling.

Now, they don't like it when you make the request, so they will protest a bit, but if you remember to remain calm and simply repeat the request, they will immediately hang up and stop calling you.

Here's what usually happens with me: I get the call, and realize it's a telemarketer. I wait for him/her to go through their spiel, then when they pause I jump in and politely say "I'm not interested, and please remove my phone number from your calling list.". They usually sputter a bit and then try to get back into their sales pitch or talk me out of removing my number. I simply wait again for them to give me an opening and again I calmly repeat "I'm not interested, and please remove my phone number from your calling list." Usually I only have to say it twice. The second time I say it, they give in and agree to remove my number. They ALWAYS say it'll take 3 or 4 months to do it, but I find it usually happens sooner than that.

The key is to remain CALM and clearly state you want your number removed from their calling list.

Since I started doing this, my unsolicited telemarketer calls have dropped off almost completely.

Note: The only time this won't work is if you already have a business relationship with the company. For example, I keep getting telemarketer calls on behalf of my bank, which annoy me to no end. But asking them to remove my number doesn't work because I am already a client of the bank. And under Canadian law, if you are already a client, they can tele-market you all they want.

Give it a try, it really works.
    ROMEO, Ciel, Shwa Girl and 1 others like this.

Trading Score
    4 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by lorken View Post
    There is a surefire way to cut down on the number of telemarketer calls you get, but you have to remain calm in order to do it:

Under Canadian law, if you politely ask the telemarketer to remove your phone number from their calling list, they have to do it. It might take them a few months to do it, but if you continue to make the request each time they call, they will eventually remove your number and stop calling.

Now, they don't like it when you make the request, so they will protest a bit, but if you remember to remain calm and simply repeat the request, they will immediately hang up and stop calling you.

Here's what usually happens with me: I get the call, and realize it's a telemarketer. I wait for him/her to go through their spiel, then when they pause I jump in and politely say "I'm not interested, and please remove my phone number from your calling list.". They usually sputter a bit and then try to get back into their sales pitch or talk me out of removing my number. I simply wait again for them to give me an opening and again I calmly repeat "I'm not interested, and please remove my phone number from your calling list." Usually I only have to say it twice. The second time I say it, they give in and agree to remove my number. They ALWAYS say it'll take 3 or 4 months to do it, but I find it usually happens sooner than that.

The key is to remain CALM and clearly state you want your number removed from their calling list.

Since I started doing this, my unsolicited telemarketer calls have dropped off almost completely.

Note: The only time this won't work is if you already have a business relationship with the company. For example, I keep getting telemarketer calls on behalf of my bank, which annoy me to no end. But asking them to remove my number doesn't work because I am already a client of the bank. And under Canadian law, if you are already a client, they can tele-market you all they want.

Give it a try, it really works.
    I will give it a try and see, but, i was never rude to the guy in the first place lol, he hung up on me, and, then called me back lol.
    ROMEO and Ciel like this.

Canadian Guru
    Trading Score
    61 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by Shwa Girl View Post
    we don't have call display
    the phone company wants an extra fee for this
    Ah. For me it's worth the .20 a day. We're actually planning to get rid of the home phone in the future.
    ROMEO, Ciel and Candini like this.

Trading Score
    26 (100%)

I find the do not call list works because the majority of telemarketers are from India or other countries that don't obey our laws and use phone number spoofing to get away with it. When I live in Ontario I signed up for the do not call list and we got more calls. Now we have cell phones only and we get nothing.

Trading Score
    4 (100%)

I like the idea of only having cell phones, but, it's always good to have a home phone just in case. But, people who seriously need to reach you will call your cell first.
    ROMEO and Ciel like this.

Trading Score
    12 (100%)

One of brother's friends will call brother's cellphone (usually left indoors while he's outside) and if he does not pick up the first time, friend redials. Then he calls the home line and leaves a message. All within two minutes' time. Don't be surprised if I think of SCTV's television drop from their opening credits everytime this friend of brother's does the calling routine.

Same friend knows to e-mail or text but has a thing about immediacy...
    ROMEO and saveadollardiva like this.
    2021-Bring on the sunshine, sweets & online shopping.

Trading Score
    0 (0%)

I've received calls from "Microsoft". "There seems to be a problem with your computer." Total scam. I hang up but also have fun with them.

They ask "Could you turn on your computer." Me: "I don't know how to?" Them: ????? Me: I own a computer but I don't know how to use it." Them: "Ma'am why do you own one?" Me:" I want to be like everyone else and have the latest electronics." They hang up lol. Another trick.. I ask them to turn on their computer because there is a problem and I need your credit card number. Hang up too. Or tell them you have an Apple.
    Last edited by toban; Fri, Jan 23rd, 2015 at 12:40 AM.

Canadian Guru
    Trading Score
    159 (100%)

I don't mind calls from legit telemarketers like surveys. They are human beings who need to make a living too. I used to know someone who did surveys. It is one of the worst jobs because people are so rude to you on the phone, but jobs are hard to come by so can we judge people because they have to choose between working a call centre or not feeding their family?

If they call and I don't want to talk to them, I just say no thanks. They leave you alone and stop calling you later if you tell them you're not interested. It's when you constantly just hang up that they keep trying later in the week.

Anyone can call and disturb you during dinner -- a wrong number, a friend. Don't know why people are so bothered when it is a telemarketer (my DH is really bugged by it). If you are busy, just don't answer

Sorry you had a bad experience. I have heard that signing up for the do not call list actually makes things worse because now your phone number is on a public registry and outsourcers have a perfect list of active phone numbers. I get a lot of telemarketing calls from Michigan or Ohio. Either way it doesn't matter because most of the telemarketing calls seem to be auto dialled. They will call 555-0000, then 555-0001, 555-0002 and so on.
    Last edited by torontogal12; Fri, Jan 23rd, 2015 at 09:01 AM.
    pippinelkhound and toban like this.
    Apply every possible promo code to your cart, at every store that you visit (and get points for cash back on top of that?). It's sweet and easy with HONEY.

Always use Ebates and get cash back at over 600 online stores! Use this link to get $5, FREE

Frosh Canuck
    Trading Score
    0 (0%)

Quote Originally Posted by torontogal12 View Post
    I don't mind calls from legit telemarketers like surveys. They are human beings who need to make a living too. I used to know someone who did surveys. It is one of the worst jobs because people are so rude to you on the phone, but jobs are hard to come by so can we judge people because they have to choose between working a call centre or not feeding their family?

If they call and I don't want to talk to them, I just say no thanks. They leave you alone and stop calling you later if you tell them you're not interested. It's when you constantly just hang up that they keep trying later in the week.

Anyone can call and disturb you during dinner -- a wrong number, a friend. Don't know why people are so bothered when it is a telemarketer (my DH is really bugged by it). If you are busy, just don't answer

Sorry you had a bad experience. I have heard that signing up for the do not call list actually makes things worse because now your phone number is on a public registry and outsourcers have a perfect list of active phone numbers. I get a lot of telemarketing calls from Michigan or Ohio. Either way it doesn't matter because most of the telemarketing calls seem to be auto dialled. They will call 555-0000, then 555-0001, 555-0002 and so on.
    I don't mind legit telemarketers doing their job. It's the ones that are scammers and want personal info so they can rip you off...those are the ones I don't like. I also don't like the ones who are rude and won't take "no thank you" as an answer. I have never been rude to a telemarketer but I have had many that have been rude to me...most of them being scammers. They need to understand that "no means no".
    seylz_gurl, toban and torontogal12 like this.

Trading Score
    26 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by toban View Post
    I've received calls from "Microsoft". "There seems to be a problem with your computer." Total scam. I hang up but also have fun with them.

They ask "Could you turn on your computer." Me: "I don't know how to?" Them: ????? Me: I own a computer but I don't know how to use it." Them: "Ma'am why do you own one?" Me:" I want to be like everyone else and have the latest electronics." They hang up lol. Another trick.. I ask them to turn on their computer because there is a problem and I need your credit card number. Hang up too. Or tell them you have an Apple.
    A few times I said - hey I work for Microsoft too - what is your ID number? and they hang up.
    My bff says to them I run ubuntu cause Microsoft is a piece of *** and hangs up.
    I did trace there number to Washington State but then when I use google chrome telephone it rings and hangs up so the number is spoofed.
    torontogal12 likes this.

Canadian Guru
    Trading Score
    159 (100%)

Yeah those are the ones who if they refuse to take no for an answer, it's time to hang up
    Quote Originally Posted by greeny View Post
    I don't mind legit telemarketers doing their job. It's the ones that are scammers and want personal info so they can rip you off...those are the ones I don't like. I also don't like the ones who are rude and won't take "no thank you" as an answer. I have never been rude to a telemarketer but I have had many that have been rude to me...most of them being scammers. They need to understand that "no means no".
    Apply every possible promo code to your cart, at every store that you visit (and get points for cash back on top of that?). It's sweet and easy with HONEY.

Always use Ebates and get cash back at over 600 online stores! Use this link to get $5, FREE

Smart Canuck
    Trading Score
    1 (100%)

I found this little tip and it actually works..the only thing is that some telemarketers have caught on and the 9 doesn't work sometimes..
    Name:  image.jpg
Views: 110
Size:  51.4 KB
    saveadollardiva likes this.

Canadian Guru
    Trading Score
    159 (100%)

I think that might be an American thing?
    Quote Originally Posted by SavvyLady View Post
    I found this little tip and it actually works..the only thing is that some telemarketers have caught on and the 9 doesn't work sometimes..
    Name:  image.jpg
Views: 110
Size:  51.4 KB

Trading Score
    169 (100%)

I had one call me a liar and my dh told him to go f#%^ himself. He hasn't called back.
    saveadollardiva likes this.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread Information