• 2 Post By torontogal12
  • 2 Post By macw1960
  • 2 Post By blueeyetea
  • 2 Post By torontogal12

Thread: Don't use Chapters GCs online!

Canadian Guru
    Trading Score
    159 (100%)

Had some awful service from Chapters. Bought some stuff online but had to return (due to crappy online descriptions). Paid with Visa and Gift Card. Wanted to exchange for other items in store.

Well I get to the store and I am not allowed to get refunded to a GC. Instead I get refunded to an "online credit" that I have to use on their website. It was either that or I could receive the full refund (including the portion that I paid on Visa) back on a gift card to use in store. WTH, my GC was only $25, and if I return something, you force me into accepting a $40+ GC? Every other store returns to the same methods of payment used.

Cashier who apparently was the supervisor, was useless and just shrugged (she seemed to take it personally when I told her that it was a stupid policy. I wasn't rude to her, just told her that this was ridiculous and not in line with any other store in Canada).

So I had to pay cash for the stuff I exchanged, AND I am stuck with a crappy online credit that I will never use (because the stuff I bought isn't available online). With Chapters closing stores, who knows if they will go bankrupt and my "online credit" will be lost.

Moral of the story: don't use your GCs online. And don't buy their GCs either.

Don't buy GCs in general because this hassle is not the kind of problem you want to gift to someone. Merry Christmas to me
    This thread is currently associated with: Indigo Chapters Coles Bookstore
    Last edited by torontogal12; Thu, Jan 29th, 2015 at 08:23 AM.
    ROMEO and macw1960 like this.
    Apply every possible promo code to your cart, at every store that you visit (and get points for cash back on top of that?). It's sweet and easy with HONEY.

Always use Ebates and get cash back at over 600 online stores! Use this link to get $5, FREE

Trading Score
    321 (100%)

What about using your credit for a book(s) for a child in the family or a gift that you need for later on down the road.
    Ciel and torontogal12 like this.

No act of kindness, no matter how small, is ever forgotten...Aesop

Smart Canuck
    Trading Score
    1 (100%)

Actually, their policy is pretty clear that you'll get a credit to your online account if you decide to pay with a gift card when ordering online:

http://help.indigo.ca/app/answers/detail/a_id/22

And then there's this:
    Can I transfer funds from my online account back to my Indigo Gift Card?
    Yes. Just sign-in to your online account, click "Gift Card Transfer/Deposit", and enter your Gift Card number and PIN in the top section. Then, in the "Transfer between a Gift Card and your Online Account" section, click "Transfer from: Online Account to Gift Card". Next, enter the amount you want to transfer (minimum $1.00). You can transfer up to the limit of gift card noted on the gift card.
    Ciel and macw1960 like this.

Canadian Guru
    Trading Score
    159 (100%)

@blueeyetea.

Thanks for that info. I didn't say their policy wasn't clear -- I said it's stupid. I posted so that people would be aware of it and not fall into this trap. You can't transfer $1. I tried to transfer the funds before but you need to transfer to a $25 gift card, minimum, and my credit is less than that. I'd have to pay the difference to get it to $25.

@macw1960I am worried Chapters (with their financial trouble) won't be around long enough for me to use this credit. Kids stuff is a good idea, but most kids in my life live outside Canada so I can't ship to them. If Chapters' product description online was accurate, I wouldn't be in this position in the first place.
    Last edited by torontogal12; Mon, Feb 2nd, 2015 at 11:35 PM.
    Ciel and macw1960 like this.
    Apply every possible promo code to your cart, at every store that you visit (and get points for cash back on top of that?). It's sweet and easy with HONEY.

Always use Ebates and get cash back at over 600 online stores! Use this link to get $5, FREE

Thread Information